Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Powerhorn Problems  (Read 8213 times)

Jiles

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Powerhorn Problems
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:18 PM »

I just received my order today. Other then not getting what I ordered, The Powerhorns won"t work. I ordered Two powerhorns (PH508) and One (SH10A). I have followed the instructions exactly at least four times. I went to this forum and got what information I could and tried several things. I used the same outlet---tried every setting on the console with the powerhorns set accordingly. The keychain remotes and the keypad work as they are supposed to. The console is the only alarm I can get to work. I will call X10 tomarrow to see if they will send me the other items  I ordered . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jiles

Re: Powerhorn Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »

X10 couldn't solve my problem. Wanted me to send all three sirens back for  updated alarms (What does that mean) I just decided to pay the postage, send the whole system back, and mark it up as lesson learned. Sorry for the rant but I am totally p------!!! Thank you for your time.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 09:49:03 AM »

X10 couldn't solve my problem. Wanted me to send all three sirens back for  updated alarms (What does that mean) I just decided to pay the postage, send the whole system back, and mark it up as lesson learned. Sorry for the rant but I am totally p------!!! Thank you for your time.

The X10 sirens start sounding when they receive a sequence of alternating On and Off powerline signals, or alternating AllLightsOn and AllUnitsOff.   At least two repetitions are necessary, e.g., On/Off/On/Off.  They stop sounding about 4 seconds after the alternating sequence stops.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Jiles

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »

The X10 sirens start sounding when they receive a sequence of alternating On and Off powerline signals, or alternating AllLightsOn and AllUnitsOff.   At least two repetitions are necessary, e.g., On/Off/On/Off.  They stop sounding about 4 seconds after the alternating sequence stops.

I set the whole systen up, armed it, opened the door and the console sounded and lamps flashed. I tried what you mentioned above--to the letter-- and still no sound from the three sirens. I even put the whole system on the same breaker circuit.   The person I talked to at Xcom didn't even know what a motion detector was. Now I am back to looking for another system. What a waste of time and money!!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »

I set the whole systen up, armed it, opened the door and the console sounded and lamps flashed. I tried what you mentioned above--to the letter-- and still no sound from the three sirens. I even put the whole system on the same breaker circuit.   The person I talked to at Xcom didn't even know what a motion detector was. Now I am back to looking for another system. What a waste of time and money!!

If the lights were flashing and you had the sirens on the same housecode and unit as one of the flashing lamps (and even plugged into the same receptacle as the console?), then that would seem to prove the sirens are faulty.   Since there is more than one bad one, I'm wondering if X-10 may have made a major firmware redesign screwup.    I don't blame you for giving up on them.

I don't recall seeing similar unresolved complaints about the sirens on the forum, but maybe you're the bellwether.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Jiles

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 05:29:51 PM »

Charles--- While testing, I had the whole system on one breaker. I did this to make sure they were on the same buss bar or circuit. I would be interested in knowing if I had THREE bad components or a bad console. Either way The heart of the system didn't work for me. The bad thing about security systems is that every one I checked on is MADE IN CHINA. To be honest, I have never seen a quality product that came from this communist country. Just the times we live in !  Thanks for your interest.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »

Charles--- While testing, I had the whole system on one breaker. I did this to make sure they were on the same buss bar or circuit. I would be interested in knowing if I had THREE bad components or a bad console. Either way The heart of the system didn't work for me. The bad thing about security systems is that every one I checked on is MADE IN CHINA. To be honest, I have never seen a quality product that came from this communist country. Just the times we live in !  Thanks for your interest.

If the lights were repeatedly blinking on and off, the signals were being transmitted by the console.  Now it's possible the signals are weak (for one reason or another) and the lamp modules are sensitive enough to recognize them while the sirens aren't.  (Which is why I hinted that you try plugging a siren in the same wall receptacle as the console.)

It's hard to find practically anything for sale today which isn't made in China.  Some is quality, some isn't - it depends on what the importer is willing to pay for.  However if you have received three bad sirens I doubt you can blame the Chinese.  My understanding is that X-10 components are all designed in the USA and the X-10 factories in China are company run.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 07:58:26 PM »

Not EVERYTHING! that's the way I used to feel but other systems can be found. In all the new equipment I'm installing now for my new system none of the components are made in China. I could have purchased Chinese equipment and saved a lot of money, but I refused to trust my home and valuables to Chinese made equipment. Check The Home Security Store for quality security equipment, and just ask who and were the products are manufactured before you buy. But in all fairness the x10 Protector Plus is a good deal for a short time fix if and that's a BIG IF you got to receive good equipment. I had to send things back multiple times before I got everything to work but it did work when my house was broken into and with three of those LOUD powerhorns in the room where my expensive stereo was, I figured that's what they would go for first, they actually got nothing!!! That plus all my major lighting is x10 controlled I just don't think they were prepared not to have control over the lighting!! That's why I would suggest using x10 lighting it can be activated All Lights On All Lights Off from a large number of alarm systems. I feel this is a must with any system you install, x10 actually makes a universal device that I will post a link to. Hope this helps!

Tom j

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductList.asp?p=2_1_1_1_0_0_139
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:25:56 PM by tom j »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.