Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unusual wiring  (Read 3845 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Unusual wiring
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »

Just a question about installing a WS467 light switch. I have removed the old switch and there is one wire that comes into the box and exits the box, without any break in it, and the middle of this wire is bare and that's where it was connected to one of the screw terminals on the old switch. The other wire is just a straightforward wire that comes into the box and connects directly to the other screw terminal. HELP!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Unusual wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »

What color are the wires?
My guess is the the unbroken wire is black and is your live wire. The other wire would be the feed to the switch.
I don't recall if the WS467 light switch needs a neutral wire or not. (I get all the part numbers mixed up.)
Assuming your switch doesn't require a neutral connection, you should able to wire nut to the same wires that are connected to the old switch. It most likely will be necessary to cut the unbroken wire to put it in a wire nut.

A basic book on home wiring from your local hardware store can be both helpful and reassuring to anyone replacing a switch for the 1st time.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:38:16 PM »

Hey thanks steven r for the fast reply. The WS467 only has 2 wires. What you suggested is what I was thinking of doing except then I thought, well, what if I want to put the old switch back again and move the WS467 somewhere else....then how would I connect the broken wire (2 ends) to one of the screw terminals of the regular switch again?

Could I just leave that wire unbroken and connect the black wire of the WS467 to it with electrical tape?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:43:50 PM by birdzeye »

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:15:53 PM »

Just a quick tip...

If you cut the wires and later want to put a regular switch back in...

If the wire is a number 14 you can put both under the screw terminal if you cut the un-broken wire. Be sure if you cut the wire to mark the 2 ends so you don't get it mixed up with the other one.

If the wire is a number 12 wire then putting 2 of them under one screw terminal is a bit tougher but can be done and will tighten up.

When you make the small loop to go around the screw terminal be sure to put the open end of the loop in such a position that when you tighten the screw it will try to close the loop rather then open it. (when looking straight at the screw, the solid side of the wire is on the left and the open end is on the right.) Also it is a good idea to close the loop with a pair of needle nose pliers after its hooked around the screw. This will help it from squishing out when tightened.

Another note, if you cut the wire and put the 2 leads together with the wire from the X10 switch you will need to use a red wire nut. The red wire nut will handle 3 number 14 wires or 3 number 12 wires or any combination of the 2 wire sizes.

Could I just leave that wire unbroken and connect the black wire of the WS467 to it with electrical tape?
I wouldn't recommend this method. You can not get a good mechanical bond doing it this way. Also it is not recommended to solder the wires and tape them. In most locations soldering house wiring is not allowed. (To many people use the wrong solder type)

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:22:30 PM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 02:28:15 AM »

I wouldn't recommend this method. You can not get a good mechanical bond doing it this way. Also it is not recommended to solder the wires and tape them. In most locations soldering house wiring is not allowed.
Ditto on that tip! Do not even think of making wiring connections with tape. We don't want to see your house in flames on the 6:00 news.  ;)
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

birdzeye

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »

Hey thanks KDR and steven r!

I ended up cutting the wire and connecting the 2 ends + another new wire #14 all together with a Marr#1  nut to make a "pigtail". Now I can connect the single pigtail wire  to any switch I want.  This is the first time I've ever done anything electrical (believe it or not). It's kinda fun ;D

Thanks again!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 06:40:02 PM »

Hey thanks KDR and steven r!...
You're welcome.

...This is the first time I've ever done anything electrical....
We guessed that.  ;)

...It's kinda fun ;D...
Caution: X10 / Home automation can become addicting leading to the purchase of more and more switches and products.  ;)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.