Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attaching sensors to metal window pane  (Read 9081 times)

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Attaching sensors to metal window pane
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »

I am attaching window sensors to metal window panes, I read somewhere in the forum a month ago about what to use and can't find it again.  Since I am in Texas the temp ranges from 30 to 110 degrees and am sure the adhesive strips supplied will not hold long.  I think it was a specific type of 3M glue?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Attaching sensors to metal window pane
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:38:15 PM »

while gorilla glue does claim to bond metal, i would not use it.  gorilla glue is a urethane based adhesive that tends to swell as it cures (moisture cures it).  it is also very messy, and clean up is best done after the adhesive has cured.  it's kinda like expanding foam insulation, without all that expansion.  clean up is best done with a razor blade.
in your situation, if you want something permanent, try some two part epoxy (the clear stuff, not JB weld).  if you want something not so permanent, try titanium enriched silicone (100% silicone caulk).  you'll probably have to tape it in place overnight, but this will hold through all the expansion/contraction.  DAP TI silicone is a good brand.  Cleanup can be done by misting the offending area with denatured alcohol (will remove LATEX paint) and smoothing off with your finger or a rag.
cheers
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

zach1234

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:30:30 AM »

Good one KR. I never thought of that.

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:24:43 AM »

Thanks for the input,  I did some research and ended up with GE Silicone II clear, mounted 22 sensors with it last week.  Time will tell how it holds.

JimBing

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:28:05 AM »

I see that you already have done the job but for others out there who are interested, my company out here in the Seychelles uses NO NAILS or similar adhesives, just one or two spots on the back of the detector - especially useful for wireless sensors (on aluminium frames) - is enough. Hold detector/device in place with tape for about 20 minutes and the job is done. If you have applied too much it can be trimmed off with a craft knife when set. Same technique can be used on other surfaces which are not flaking or greasy.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.