Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need help with IR Extender before I lose my mind  (Read 46206 times)

cddyal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I need help with IR Extender before I lose my mind
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »

I can send audio and video from one TV to another ;D.
I have the 5-in-1 Universal Remote programmed to change the channels on the VCR which is sending the A/V signal, and it works just fine :).
I have the IR Extender emitters, both of them, secured properly right at the IR port on the VCR ;).
I point the remote directly at the IR port on the A/V receiver unit ;)
But the IR Extender feature does not work ???.
This is ruining my weekend >:(!!!
Can someone please help me? With X-10, it seems there is always some little trick I don't know about. I am desperate :'(!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: I need help with IR Extender before I lose my mind
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »

Do you mean the Powermid's?   ???
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:42:06 PM »

Did you configure the remote to work with the IR543 ?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »

Not sure what product your having problems with but did you look at the X10wiki ?
If thats not the product your having problems with post the product number and or search the wiki! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:56:38 PM »

I have the 5-in-1 Universal Remote programmed to change the channels on the VCR which is sending the A/V signal, and it works just fine.

I have the IR Extender emitters, both of them, secured properly right at the IR port on the VCR.

I point the remote directly at the IR port on the A/V receiver unit But the IR Extender feature does not work ???.

Since the 5-in-1 remote doesn't work... have you tried the VCR's orginal remote?

Often times the IR port ISN'T where you might think it would be. Use a flashlight to peek through the red plastic trim.. to locate the IR recepters.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cddyal

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »

Allow me to clarify...

The remote works just fine when changing the channels directly on the VCR. I have definitely identified the IR port on the VCR and attached the emitters not smack dab on the IR port but within nanometers of it.

But when I try to change channels via the receiver, nothing happens. It's like it's not picking up any signal from the remote. I did not, however, configure the remote to work with the IR543 :-[, such a step was never mentioned in any of the literature from X10 or anything I have read in any forums, manuals, etc. I will search the wiki and see if I can determine how to do that...

And, BTW, I don't know what "Powermids" are? ???

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »

And, BTW, I don't know what "Powermids" are? ???

Click on this link and look under the "Remote Sender" logo. 

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_pm5900.htm

It says "Powermid".  It's an older X10 term for what you have.  Anything that applies to Powermid on this Forum applies to Remote Sender. 

The most obvious thing to check is whether or not the sending unit (no antennae) LED inside the red pyramid blinks when you aim the remote control at it and push a button. 

If that is working you can look at the receiving unit (the one with the antennae) using the viewer on your digital camera while some one else is pushing the remote control buttons to see if that's blinking.  Most digital cameras "see" IR and display it in their viewer. 

If the sending unit LED is blinking all the time you've probably got a noisy CFL in the immediate vicinity. 

Let us know how you make out with this research.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

cddyal

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for working with me on this. I am trying to get the TV in my daughter's room to work, and she is sooooo excited, but her disappointment is beginning to show. So...

OLDTIMER, et. al.:  Neither the receiver nor the sending unit blinks when I click the remote. They simply are not receiving it's signal. However, the remote works fine when working directly with the A/V device (VCR).

I guess the question is, do I have to program a code into the remote in order for it to work with the send/receive units? If so, how do I do that? Sorry to be so ignorant, but I have searched everywhere I know and have not seen this addressed.

Again, I appreciate any help; I'll be working on this pretty much all day today until I figure it out...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »

Without a clear Idea of the products you have (model numbers located on bottom usually), everyone here is guessing just like you! ???
X10 sells hundreds of kits a week and many have been known to be shipped without all the Parts/devices! :(
Knowing exactly what you have will help greatly, perhaps someone else has the exact same models and can shed some light(a lot quicker then everyone guessing!)
I have an audio video sender/receiver kit  but mine is the older black units (never came with ir emitters but it was in a cam package) :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »

I guess the question is, do I have to program a code into the remote in order for it to work with the send/receive units? If so, how do I do that? Sorry to be so ignorant, but I have searched everywhere I know and have not seen this addressed.

The I/R repeater is device blind.  It will exactly repeat the I/R code from ANY device that is aimed at it.  No special programming of the remote control is required, except setting it to control your remote VCR.

If the I/R receiver (no antennae) is not blinking when you push the remote control  button four things are possible:

• The I/R receiver is not plugged in to a working AC outlet.
  • The I/R receiver itself is not working.
  • The I/R receiver is turned away from you (power cord toward you) so the internal I/R detector can't "see" the signal from the remote.
  • The remote isn't working, but it sounds like you've shown that yours is. Try another remote control to be sure, just in case.

Until the I/R receiver is working other trouble shooting issues are mute points.

cddyal

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »

Here's what I've got:

2.4GHz Wireless Audio/Video Sender Model No. VT46A
2.4GHz Wireless Audio/Video Receiver Model No. VR46A
Learning Remote Control Model UR74A

Everything works fine except I cannot change the TV channel through the receiver unit. The light inside the unit does nothing when I point the remote at it and push a button.

I know the remote works. It changes the channel fine when pointed directly at the TV. I also use the remote to successfully turn on/off X10 lights.

Please consider this scenario:

I have the sender unit connected to a VCR via red/white/yellow RCA jacks. My cable runs from the wall directly into the VCR, and then from the VCR to the TV. I have programmed the remote to work with my VCR. I can take the remote, point it at the VCR, and change channels successfully.

I have the receiver unit connected to a second TV via the coax connection. It receives good video and audio. When I change the channel on the VCR as mentioned above, the audio/video on this TV changes as well, just as it is supposed to do.

So...I know the sending unit works...I know the receiving unit works...and I know the remote works.

Next:  I have blocked off various areas on the front of the VCR until I am absolutely certain I know where the IR port is. I tried attaching one of the IR emitters, now I have both attached right next to the IR port on the VCR. Just right where they are supposed to be.

Now:  When I go to the VCR, point the remote at it, and change channels, everything works just as it is supposed to. Then, when I go to the second TV, the one with the receiving unit and point the remote at the IR port on the receiving unit and hit the change channel button, nothing happens. The light in the receiving unit does not blink. The light in the sending unit does not blink. The light on the remote blinks like it is supposed to. If I walk right back over to the VCR and hit the channel change button, without doing anything else, the channel changes.

For some reason, the receiving unit is not accepting signals from the remote. However, an x10 module that I have in my house does accept commands from this remote as does the VCR.

Why does the VR46A refuse to accept commands from the UR74A?

P.S.--My daughter just came in to ask me if I had this figured out you, and I assured her that, with your help, I soon would  ;) Thanks

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »

Here's what I've got:

2.4GHz Wireless Audio/Video Sender Model No. VT46A
2.4GHz Wireless Audio/Video Receiver Model No. VR46A
Learning Remote Control Model UR74A

With computers EXACT language is very important.  Obviously you don't have a Powermid/IR Extender so my comments don't apply.  Someone else is going to have to help you on this.  Sorry.

While you're waiting for their answer you might check to see if you're running a wireless computer network, a wireless intercom, a wireless phone or anything similar that might be interfering with your A/V sender and receiver.

cddyal

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »

Thanks, maybe someone else has some ideas. I have turned off my wireless network, and my phones are 5.8 GHz, and there's not even one close to where my A/V unit is.

Again, the units send audio and video just fine, no interference. The remote works just fine on my VCR. But the receiving unit is not picking up the IR signal from the remote, plain and simple. So, why is the receiver unit not able to pick up the signal from the remote? When I hold the remote right in front of the receiver unit, click the remote right on the IR port of the receiver, and the receiver fails to blink or give any indication that it received that signal sent by the remote...what could be wrong?

I wish I could turn to X10 for help on what is probably a simple matter, but I know that's a waste of time. And all I'm trying to do is set up a TV in my kid's room. I have been working at this since Friday when I got home from work. I am pleading for a solution... :'(

cddyal

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 12:46:48 AM »

DESPERATE for an answer here...
Please refer to my other posts to know exactly what equipment I'm talking about, but I have what is probably a fairly simple question:  If my 5-in-1 remote is properly programmed and working as it should, when I point it at the video receiver and "click" it, I should see the IR indicator light in the video receiving unit "blink," isn't that correct? I just need to know that first of all, because the light is not blinking now...

Bob S.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »

Your e-mail described my problem exactly.  Don't know what I did but suddenly the Direct TV remote in our bedroom is able to control the Direct TV DVR in the Den.  One change noted is now the bedroom Sat Box shows on Analog TV setting while the signal from the den shows on Composite 2 setting.  All access from  the bedroom to the Den TV is done using the Bedroom TV remote unit.

Bob S.
Bob S.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.