Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: motion detector for overhead lights controlled with pole switch.  (Read 5552 times)

ramalama

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Silly me:  I saw the ad  for five motion sensors at one low price.   I got them (amazingly fast shipping!), but I found that (a) I would have to buy something else not noted on the ad, and (b)that other thingy needs to be plugged into a wall outlet.

Now, what I want to do is to on-off control via motion sensors overhead lights mounted from a single ceiling fixture now controlled by a pole switch.

Does X10 offer such a system?  I realize I may have to change the pole switch to something else, or install a thingy on/in it, but I can't seem to find what I want at X10.

any advice?

thanks

Rama

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: motion detector for overhead lights controlled with pole switch.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »

ramalama: Welcome to the forum. What you need is a transceiver to convert the RF signals from the motion detectors to a power line control (PLC) signal that an X10 switch can use for turning lights on or off.

What is the model number of the motion sensors you purchased? (Just to verify they are not X10 security ones.)

There are a couple options for transceivers, if you want full control of how things work and plan to expand at some time, I suggest going with AHP with all the software plug-ins (usually $50 on the X10 site's deals page.)

For the light switches, there are also options available. If the lights are regular incandescent then you can use pretty much any X10 switch, particularly the ones with dimming capabilities (with most X10 dimmers you do not need a neutral wire available in the switch box). If the lights are CFL or other low voltage lighting, then you will need a X10 non-dimming switch (these type do require a neutral wire).

ramalama

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:19:21 PM »

ramalama: Welcome to the forum. What you need is a transceiver to convert the RF signals from the motion detectors to a power line control (PLC) signal that an X10 switch can use for turning lights on or off.

What is the model number of the motion sensors you purchased? (Just to verify they are not X10 security ones.)

There are a couple options for transceivers, if you want full control of how things work and plan to expand at some time, I suggest going with AHP with all the software plug-ins (usually $50 on the X10 site's deals page.)

For the light switches, there are also options available. If the lights are regular incandescent then you can use pretty much any X10 switch, particularly the ones with dimming capabilities (with most X10 dimmers you do not need a neutral wire available in the switch box). If the lights are CFL or other low voltage lighting, then you will need a X10 non-dimming switch (these type do require a neutral wire).

*  The model number for the sensors is MS16A.

*  AHP?  I'll have to check that out at the X10 site - not familiar with the term, or what it does.

*  CFL are not (yet) an issue, but I suppose when Our Political Masters decree their use, it will be. 

*  is a neutral wire the same as a "ground"?  If so, I understand the difference.

Thanks for all the info!

Rama

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »

ramalama Before you jump in and get a transceiver think hard what you may wish to do down the road!

I'd have to agree with Puck get AHP (Active Home Pro) 1/3 way down the page (includes all plug-ins and a slimline remote switch for $49)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ramalama

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:44:56 PM »

ramalama Before you jump in and get a transceiver think hard what you may wish to do down the road!

I'd have to agree with Puck get AHP (Active Home Pro) 1/3 way down the page (includes all plug-ins and a slimline remote switch for $49)

Hi:

My main reason for wanting motion control of overhead lighting is to stop my two teenagers from leaving the #%^#&^^&! lights on in their bedrooms and the bathroom.    They regularly cruise between those three rooms (one has the Cable TV, the other their PC) and the bath, leaving the lights on in all three rooms.   And  I could probably use that functionality in a couple of other rooms as well. 

And yes, if motion-senor control were available for floor lamps I could use a coupla those.

That's my first attempt at "thinking hard" !

Thanks,

rama

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 02:05:29 PM »

Warning: You have started down the road of Home Automation! ;) :D ;D
Take it slow and avoid the hair pulling! ;) :D ;D
Your best bet will be the Active Home Pro (AHP) package with it you can create some very specific macros which can be activated from the motion detectors to turn on/off the lights!
Nothing worse then having the bathroom light go off on you in the middle of the night! [/b] ;)
Spend some time and read as many posts in the ActiveHome Pro section that you can!
When you order the AHP package the software is sent via an internet link and you can set it up instantly, the PC interface (Transceiver) will arrive in a few days!
This will give you time to get familiar with the software!
Note: Although there is software it doesn't need to be running nor does the PC have to be on 24/7 in order for the transceiver to work!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »

*  The model number for the sensors is MS16A.

These are regular X10 motion detectors so they will work with any X10 transceiver.

*  is a neutral wire the same as a "ground"?  If so, I understand the difference.

No... a Ground should not be used as a neutral connection. The Neutral is a white wire. However, a white wire in a switch box is not always the neutral; so make sure you verify if it is or is not. It's always a good idea to look at what can work as a switch replacement before ordering/purchasing.

And yes, if motion-senor control were available for floor lamps I could use a coupla those.

There are X10 plug in modules that can be used for lamps and other appliances. LM465 for incandescent lamps & AM466/AM486 for most all others things.

Like Tuicemen stated, do some forum reading. X10 does not always work as one expects; there are many things that can cause problems, but those problems can be overcome. They usually require extra items like a phase coupler & noise filters. Read / Ask / Learn.  ;)

ramalama

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »

Hey guys:  thanks for all the "hot inside poop"!

I will investigate AHP.

My house is almost 100 years old, and I know that the regular single-pole light switches have just two copper wires attached to them.

From experience (!!!) I know that just one of those two wires carries current.  Is the other the "neutral" one?

The wall sockets, however, have three -- one for the ground that I almost confused with neutral!

(all of a sudden I have that horrible "newby who knows squat" feeling!)

rama

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

(all of a sudden I have that horrible "newby who knows squat" feeling!)
We were all there once! ;) :D ;D
My home is also in the 100 year old range, so newer homes are not a necessity for Home automation! Although it does limit some things without rewiring! :(
Or as my wife says "Just Modify it!"
Luckily there are usually work arounds for most things! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 05:04:04 PM »

My house is almost 100 years old, and I know that the regular single-pole light switches have just two copper wires attached to them.

From experience (!!!) I know that just one of those two wires carries current.  Is the other the "neutral" one?

When there is just the 2 wires in the switch box then they are most likely the line & load to the light... no neutral.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.