Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't focus new set of cameras  (Read 14664 times)

sillsaviation

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Can't focus new set of cameras
« on: March 22, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »

I have two cameras ( X10's) , that I have had for three years and they are as sharp as can be. I just bought a set of three cameras to expand my system and I can't get the new cameras to focus. All three are about the same. Very poor picture quality. Is this a fluke or has anyone else had the same problem ? If I send them back , what guarantee do you think I would have in getting a set that are any better ?

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Can't focus new set of cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »

You might try to turn the lens a little right or left.  I had one out of 7 that was not very sharp and after playing with the lens a little it got better quality.  At first they all had bad quality, then I realized I had to take the lens cap off.  If that doesn't solve the problem then it is a shot in the dark if you return them for new, may or may not have same problem.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »

Actually not all the cams are capable of manual focusing now, via turning the lens! >:(
In x10's effort to cut costs ::) ???
I ordered some wired  SC16A cams (2 for 1 on sale) to my surprise these units aren't able to be manually focused and are fixed from the factory! :(
Mined you mine were OK as to their focus! ;)
sillsaviation   do remove the clear lens cap as x10challanged stated it does make a difference and the cams are designed to not use them!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:39:39 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »

Actually not all the cams are capable of manual focusing now, via turning the lens! >:(
In x10's effort to cut costs ::) ???
I ordered some wired  SC1A cams (2 for 1 on sale) to my surprise these units aren't able to be manually focused and are fixed from the factory! :(
Mined you mine were OK as to their focus! ;)
sillsaviation   do remove the clear lens cap as x10challanged stated it does make a difference and the cams are designed to not use them!

Say Tuice let me make sure I understand you can remove the lens cap even outdoors?? Thanks have a nice Easter! Spring is here, well I think so anyway. Still snowing here in Michigan. :-\

tom j

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 10:10:19 PM »

Say Tuice let me make sure I understand you can remove the lens cap even outdoors?? Thanks have a nice Easter! Spring is here, well I think so anyway. Still snowing here in Michigan. :-\

tom j
Thats right tom j ! I've ran a wired x10 cam without the clear lens cap out side for over 10 years! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »

tom j
Thats right tom j ! I've ran a wired x10 cam without the clear lens cap out side for over 10 years! ;) :D ;D

Say Tuiceman I'm assuming you get a sharper image without the cap is that correct?

Tom j

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:14:06 PM »

Image is a little clearer yes! The clear cap tends to go slightly cloudy after time exposed to the sunlight as well!
My cam is located under an over hang so the exposure to rain is limited but gets lots of bright afternoon sunlight!
I think this is the oldest working cam of any type I have here! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »

Image is a little clearer yes! The clear cap tends to go slightly cloudy after time exposed to the sunlight as well!
My cam is located under an over hang so the exposure to rain is limited but gets lots of bright afternoon sunlight!
I think this is the oldest working cam of any type I have here! ;)

Say Tuice just curious is yours wired or wireless might have a question for you. thanks again you are always so helpful, and KNOWLEDGABLE too!

Tom j

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 06:42:23 PM »

I actualy have both wired and wireless cams! ;) :D
I even run one wired cam into a video sender thus converting it to wireless!( to lazy to run the wire)  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

sillsaviation

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »

These are not my first x10 cameras. I have removed the plastic lense and as per the enclosed instructions , turned the lense to try and improve focus and can stand in front of the TV / monitor and watch the effect. All three of these cameras will not foucs to the same sharpness as the ones I have in place for three years now. I was fishing if anyone else had experienced the same trouble as I. Customer support won't open till tomorrow morning and I was just looking for help.
thanks for the reply

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »

sillsaviation, What cameras do you have? 16A, 17A, 18A?  Wired or wireless? Mine are 16 & 18.  I have only had them about 3 months so don't know about 3 years ago.  I am happy with the reception via wireless.  Of course I can't read the newspaper with them but I can identify a person any where in my backyard.  If yours are wired you should have better reception than I do.  Can you give a specific example of the difference between old and new cams reception.  If you have AHP you can adjust the bright/contrast which helps some as well.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »

sillsaviation -- I'm not sure if your problem is the same as I had, but review this thread and see if there are similarities

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=12405.0

sillsaviation

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 03:21:59 PM »

DonN , thanks for the reply, I don't know if I would call it "white out" but just plain blury image. The cameras are the XX16A wireless. I hate to think I have to go thru an exchange and get back the same poor quality cameras. They must have changed something in the manufacturing and are not doing any quality control testing.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »

sillsaviation I suspect a bad shipment of cams!
X10, as every other manufacture, is attempting to cut costs and most times the cost savings ends with inferior equipment! :(
No guaranty that the new cams will work as well as the older ones ::) :( The only newer cams I have are the wired ones (I mentioned above) they are just as clear as the older ones, but not able to be focused (lens will not move):(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

sillsaviation

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »

My thoughts also. Will call tomorrow and send tham back. Hope I can get good replacements. I llike the system and how easy it is to set up.
I removed the lense from one of the cameras today and cleaned it with a Q tip. did not help at all. I think they have gone to a cheaper lense and it it not of good optical quality. Will post later if and when I get a better set.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.