Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: iconRemote worthless  (Read 31657 times)

Qent2

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
iconRemote worthless
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:36:14 PM »

Bought it to help my folks go from 4 remotes to 1.  It recognized the TV but would not recognize the other three units.  So their "5" minute set up was a joke and I told the tech person the same.  I even tried to make it learn a remote (which you have to do KEY by KEY) at which time it froze "sleep timer" on the screen of the TV.  Eventually I got the timer off but then it erased the TV functions.  Tech was no help so the thing goes back and I go to a reputable company, Logitech, more money but less headaches.  This is not the first time X10 has shown issues with their product.

I suppose if you have basic old stuff it might work but not if you have state of the art equipment.  Junk is Junk.

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Re: iconRemote worthless
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »

:( I am sorry that you are having such problems with the remote.
Like a lot of other people, I've invested quite a tidy sum of $ trying to find "THE REMOTE".
Logitech, Sony, All For One, RCA, Phillips & X10.
So far my favorite has been the Kameleon from All For One. However Nathan (grandson) has it now.
I made him a deal that I knew, there was no way that I could lose. So much for that.  ;D
Anyway, I started to get a Logitech Harmony 880 ($132.27 - $270.22) as I've read some really good things about it.
But then decided to try the X-10 Icon Remote instead. (about $50).
So far it has been just great. I have a "Hodge Podge" of stuff and it operates everything that I have set up.
Hitichi TV, Panasonic Stereo, Sansui DVD, Sansui VHS, Dish Network and X10 via a IR543.  ;D

>:( It's possible that you received a defective unit.  :( But check the batteries first as even NEW ones can be defective.
 ;D You are correct about X10's support.  ;D

"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 06:44:29 AM »

Yes the new batteries I got where not the best in my Icon Kit.
Though the best I have ever see was my Magnavox DVD player came with CARBON ZINC cells. ::)

speedbugy

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:38:36 AM »

Quent, I too thought the same as you for a few weeks after getting my remote. One day, with noone else around I tried a lot of different things taking my time and got all my stuff working. The learning process is a bit slow for sure but a bit of time it will work all your stuff. The best way is when noone is around talking to you. I cussed the thing for at least a week. After you get the hang of which key to press on your old remote for a second, and which ones you gotta hold down for longer it will be a snap. Don't program it around the TV or device you are trying to program either because if the device changes it will get you all confused. I like others tried other brands. I like the Harmony ok, but I took two of the Logictech remotes back.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:40:22 AM by speedbugy »

4plus3vette

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »

I agree with both speedbugy and Duck69.

First of all, I, too, have a hodgepodge of stuff - including a video switch box that I bought off ebay which is not a name brand and I would be shocked if there was a code for it somewhere - with the ICON remote, it does not really matter if there is a device in it's memory because you can simply learn the code and store them in any number of places on the remote.

As far as speedbudy's comments go, I spent a few days working on it, but have it working perfectly with my system.  It is certainly good advice to mess around with it when you are alone.  As I began to figure it out, I started programming some of the keys and using the macros.  Well, with my two year old hopping across my lap, my 8 month old grabbing the remotes that I am trying to use to learn keys, and my wife talking to me in the background, it was frustrating at the least!

Here is a solution that I implemented for a problem that I was having.  When I tried to learn keys off the remote from my TV, they just never worked right for this remote.  When you had it learn a macro and hit the "input" key 5 times or something like that, sometimes it was successful, sometimes it would only change two and other times 3 or 4.  Very frustrating.  I then learned these TV s into my old learning remote.  From there, I "learned" them into the ICON remote from my old remote.  It worked great.  You hit that macro key once and the input button gets transmitted 5 times, everytime.  I don't know why the issue is, but that was a work around that I came up with and hope that it helps other people in the future.

jhank71

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »

I'd agree with the above. The first day I tried it out I was ready to throw it into the trash. The "5 minute setup" is total hogwash. I have an Onkyo receiver that it could turn on but not turn off and could not do anything else with. It gave me 15 codes for my TV and it took me a while (way longer than 5 minutes) to figure out which one was best. Even then, I still had to add some learned keys. But the real breakthrough came when I carefully read the manual (which is very confusing/inaccurate in places) and just played around with the unit. I've probably spent 1-2 hours with it and now I've gotten it set up to the point where it is really useful. I've used it for my basement TV/home entertainment setup but here is the thing, at this point I"m pretty convinced that MY WIFE might actually like it so I've just ordered a second one for the family room set up where she is the primary user. After 6 years we still have 4 remotes that we need to make everything work despite taking a couple of runs at adding codes to the existing set of remotes (all with buttons for every device) as well as purchasing (and returning) a "universal" remote. So my advice is, assume this is at least a 1 hour set up and assume that the manual will only provide minimal guidance.

Starbuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:52:59 PM »

For the most part the unit has functioned perfectly.  I have every device into the remote, it did take some time to learn some old devices, but they are all in there & functional just as advertised.

What I would like to do get better macro functions to allow compound macros using several devices & being able to select the final mode the remote is in when the macro finishes.

Outside of programming the macro in the device you want to end up with, I don't see how.

BUT this remote is really far from useless.  I am going to get one for my parents for a gift.  I will program it for them.  For $60 a great remote.  If I could add anything it would be a USB interface, RF for X10 functions, & expanded MACROS.

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »

-:) If I could have something added it would be back lighted keys.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

captainpj

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »

You  guys must work for x10. I have spent 8 hours and there is no way to get my Sylvania LC321SS9 HDTV remote programed into the x10 as well as the Directv H20.  There are no working codes for them and while the x10 tells me the learning was a success when I go to try the remote nothing and I mean nothing works no on/off ,channel change, volume NOTHING. 3 calls to customer service was a total waste of time a more useless group of people I have never talked to.  As far as I am concerned this Icon remote is a piece of crap!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »

No almost everyone here is a Volunteer. There are a few X10 Employees that watch over the forums and sometimes answer a few questions.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »

You  guys must work for x10.
No one who has replied to this thread works for X10 including me!  >*<
If your having such an issue with the Icon it must be defective return it for a replacement or refund! ;)
From what I've noticed X10 employees have been told to stay out of the community forum unless they are authorized! :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »

You have to really want to use the ICON to use it as a family remote.
Ours have our lights in it so we really have come to rely on it. There are many issues with it's "workflow" but whatygonnado?
It's an x10 remote that controls the satalite tv, Bitchin.

I overlook it's shortcomings and I overlook many x10 short comings because what it does is worth it as a hobby to me.
There is no way I would sick any of this stuff especially the ICON on my dear old parents. They love me and I don't want to do anything to upset that.

But I am willing to have my wife talk into space (BVC) to turn on lights!   rofl
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »

But I am willing to have my wife talk into space (BVC) to turn on lights!   rofl

I have the Universal Remote that came with the cable box... [configured and] laying on the coffee table for my wife or guests. The ICON however... IS MINE.

My wife... isn't really into the automation in many ways. But she really does like having the computer talking (BVC). The more warnings and alerts that "Kate" can do... the higher my WAF. Since we are nearing spring... I need to get to work on a "wet basement alert". I know she would like that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:18:01 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »

I have the Universal Remote that came with the cable box... [configured and] laying on the coffee table for my wife or guests. The ICON however... IS MINE.

My wife... isn't really into the automation in many ways. But she really does like having the computer talking (BVC). The more warnings and alerts that "Kate" can do... the higher my WAF. Since we are nearing spring... I need to get to work on a "wet basement alert". I know she would like that.

Wup!

Thread hijack time!!

With spring just around the corner I cannot wait to automate my sprinklers this year using a 24 volt valve and universal module etc.
This would make my life better for sure.

WAF - Wife's Automation Friendliness?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:19:17 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »

WAF - Wife's Automation Friendliness?

Wife Approval Factor
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.