Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: motion detectors or door\window sensors  (Read 4743 times)

ispy

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
motion detectors or door\window sensors
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:58:34 PM »

anyway eric wanted to know because i'd like a motion in my garage. how can you get more than 16 zones or do you have to buy another main control station(fine by me) if possible?
thankyou and BYAO
have fun will travel.
ispy.

Ox40

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
Re: motion detectors or door\window sensors
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:22:38 PM »

The answer is this - you can and you can't. If you want each zone to have a unique house code, and you want more than 16 zones, you can't. But, the only true reason to have a unique house code (except for logical division for programming etc) for each zone is if you have ~16 devices in that zone. Most people do not.  So, you can have 16 zones (A1-16 thru P1-16), or 32 (A1-8, A9-16 thru P1-8, P9-16) or even 64 (A1-4, A5-8, A9-12, A 13-16 thru P1-4, P5-8, P9-12, P13-16).
Logical division by house code is a good idea, but for most people, it is irrelevant.  You can group two rooms together to use one house code. If your garage only has two devices, just tag it on to an existing house code which doesnt use all 16 device codes.

Or, make a specific house code for the 'odds and ends'. Random sensors and devices throughout the house.

hope that helps...

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »

...i'd like a motion in my garage.

...more than 16 zones...

...another main control station...

It sounds like the OP is asking about the X10 Security System.  ;)

Maybe he can re-ask with details and clarity of what he is trying to do. And if eric is important to the question, who is he?

ispy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »

i think i get it ox40, garage and somewhere else shares that station cool, if that's the case i would be alerted in those areas at the same time. good. and that works for me.
ems

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »

i think i get it ox40, garage and somewhere else shares that station cool, if that's the case i would be alerted in those areas at the same time. good. and that works for me.
ems

ispy: How do you plan on getting 2 different Motion Detectors or Door/Window Sensons programmed into the base station to occupy a single zone?

Please keep in mind that the information provided by Ox40 does no apply to Security Motion Detectors & Door/Window Sensors as you have indicated using according to the topic name.

If you choose to verify what equipment you are using and exactly what you are trying to do, then maybe we can lead you in the right direction.  ;)

ispy

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »

ok puck ill try to spell it out, im trying to get at least one more motion detector on the base station and if not how? and if i have to eliminate one of the door window sensors, (and that's ok)
anyway if i understood right what ox40 was typn, is i could share the same code with one or the other so if one activated it would be
as though they both did or am i wrong? im still installing my system iam fishing lines and routing so they are not visible and trying to
make every thing less discrete as possible,i hope to have activation soon.
i know i could get ahold of x10's tech support but not as fun as chatn' here i do appreciate your input and ill try harder to respond
more but work and family life take alot of time but thankyou kindly for all of you guys input.
i would like to pose a question about the VCR sender will a DVR work as well (for the camera system)? i know x10 said my hard drive on my computer will work but would rather not leave computer on all the time.
thankyou
and peeka boo! 8)

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:22:10 PM »

...if i understood right what ox40 was typn, is i could share the same code with one or the other...

Ox40 did not understand what you are using, his post references regular X10 addresses; you are using (correct me if I am guessing wrong) a DS7000 Security System with 16 zones of MS10A Motion Detectors and DS10A Door/Window Sensors. These security devices do not use regular X10 addresses therefore cannot be doubled up, and you are limited to just 16 devices (zones) with the DS7000's base station. There is no way to have more than 16 per base station.

What you can do if you have 2 Door/Window Sensors near each other is use one transmitter and 2 magnetic switches in series. This will free up a zone that you can use for your extra motion detector. Other than that, you either drop a zone or use 2 base stations (more complex alternative).

You can use any recording device with your cameras. However, you would require a VCR Commander to start / stop recording (if you don't want to record full-time).

ispy

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »

thank you sir puck the info i needed, i can tell in the future ill be upgrading and learning alot more, for now ill play with what i have
and enjoy trying to program and figure it all out as i go any way i suppose this topic is finished catch you in my lens later
have fun and thanx agian for your reply.
ispy.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.