Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please help with pc to TV package  (Read 29230 times)

eiii

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Please help with pc to TV package
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:41:17 AM »

Hello,
Please help, no response from support yet.  Setup is VT37A VR30A UR85A and a UR86A remote.
1) Showtime (SW22A): It doesn't work at all with movies.  When I try to view pictures, each pictures takes a chunk of memory until my computer freezes for 30 seconds or longer for each future click.  It doesn't free the memory until I close showtime using the icon in the task bar.
2) UR86A software (SW42A): It doesn't give me an option to configure.  Beyond that, it works for the first few clicks, but then the left and right mouse button turn into scroll up/down like a mouse wheel and stop moving the mouse.  When the software is up I also have to click everything twice when using my computer mouse.
3) UR86A: I can't get it to learn the TIVO button of my Tivo remote.  I didn't see any code for TIVO, but thought it could learn it.  So far no luck.
4) Using advice in this forum, I have to un-plug my 2.4GHZ phone base to cut out some interference.  Couldn't I buy an appliance module and plug my phone base into it then turn off/on my phone base using my UR86A instead of walking across the house to do it?

It knocked out all my wireless internet connections, but changed the channels around and got that to work using advice from this forum.  Even with wireless router and phone turned off, still have slight lines and some cracking.  Thanks in advance!

eiii

Re: Please help with pc to TV package
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:14:43 PM »

Also, I don't see a lot about the UR86A.  They don't even seem to have the manuals on their support.  Is that a newer remote?  Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »

What OS are you using?
X10 has nothing (software) that is 100% compatible with Vista yet! :(
You can use an appliance module connected to your phone base to turn it on/off
Is there any large metal objects in direct line of sight between the transmiter and receiver? ??? There are other things which will interfere with RF transmition\reception do an Advanced Search for RF interference it will help you find them!
Have a very close look at what is actually between the two antennas and that they are facing each other! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »

Also, I don't see a lot about the UR86A.  They don't even seem to have the manuals on their support.  Is that a newer remote?  Thanks.
Have you tried the x10wiki(other remotes) ?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

eiii

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »

Hello Tuicemen ,
I'm running windows XP.  I read through the RF interference which helped me get it as good as it is.  Unless I move my desktop closer and away from my desk, move my PC closer and out of the media center, and/or knock down a wall, not sure what more I can do.  They are probably 30-40 feet away from each other with one wall in between.  Even beyond that, I can't seem to to get the showtime or remote software working properly.  It would also be nice if the UR86A could learn my Tivo remote, so I could at least use it as a universal remote.

The UR81A remote from the wiki link looks similar, but still didn't find the UR86A.  The UR86A seems to be the remote they are pushing in many of their PC to TV packages lately, so thought there would be more threads and information on it.

Thanks for your reply.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »

Building supplies play a big part here since no 2 buildings are the same there is no way of telling what is under the paint other then opening up the walls! :(
You most likely have the best reception you going to get less you do the drastic messures you described!
A lot of the software X10 sells was made prior to XP so try running it in 98 compatibility mode!
Also some of the older software doesn't like any other X10 software installed on the machine >:( although I don't think Showtime is one of them ;)
The UR86A may be a newer version of the UR81A so much of the info in its manual may be the same! ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

eiii

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »

I tried running in 98 compatibility mode.  It helped showtime a little.  After it eats up my memory it pauses for a few seconds in between pictures, and then frees up some memory.  That is at least manageable.  I can see movies in list mode now, but they run about 10 times to fast.  When I pick them they run for a second and then freeze up.   The UR86A remote doesn't work any better in 98 compatibility mode.   Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:51:46 PM »

You can customize XPs performance and tell it how to handle tasks and it's Virtual memory!
  • Right click on My Computer
  • Then properties
  • Then click on advanced
  • Next click on Performance
  • In visual effect click on adjust for best performance
  • Next click on advanced and check programs for both processor scheduling and memory usage
  • Next click on virtual memory change button and up the virtual memory setting
  • In here click on Custom and set the initial size slightly above the recommend (but not more than 1/2 you total free harddrive space) and the max to double that
[/color][/b]
Of coarse increasing your physical memory is better. 1 gig is low end now a days and Xp can eat up 512 megs very quickly! ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:03:15 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

eiii

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:34:34 PM »

Did as you suggested and still having same/below issues.  My video intensive games, movie players, and picture viewers have and do work fine. I'm pretty sure their showtime software has an issue freeing memory and not sure what is up with the movie playback.

1) Showtime is slow and movies play back way too fast and/or freeze.  At least I can go through photo slideshow (although slowly) using your advice of compatibility mode.
2) Remote software is flaky at best. I don't have a configure option and most buttons don't work.  Left click and right click start scrolling.  Moving mouse also starts to scrolls instead of moving mouse pointer.
3) UR86A can't learn Tivo remote.
4) Still some interference for PC to TV, but think I can't do much more unless find a way to get them closer. 

Thanks!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 08:02:48 AM »

Sorry I can't suggest any more as I don't have Showtime my self!
Maybe someone withshow time will chime in with some more ideas
Some remotes just can't be learned for what ever reason ::)
I have read of others having issues with TIVO remotes, an advanced search for "TIVO" may turn up some helpful info for learning! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

eiii

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:41 PM »

Good news on some of it, at least enough to help me feel like it was a good buy.

1) No changes with showtime software.  Still not working on my XP.
2) It works!  My advice is don't install their x10 remote software on your XP.  Mine didn't have an uninstall.  I ended up getting Nevius PC remote software.  Didn't work until I did regedit and started deleting all the X10 hooks I could find as well as any X10 stuff on my hard drive.  (Obviously no other software beyond what is in this post on my PC yet).  Then installed Nevius PC remote software and PC remote is working GREAT!
3) Never got it to learn my Tivo button.
4) I got DECT 6.0 phones and no interference and no more cracking lines!   

I can now watch stuff from my PC on my TV and use remote to move the mouse.  I sent a few e-mails to support with no response, but finally got it working with reading a bunch of stuff on the forum.  Thanks!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:55:53 PM »

Thanks for the update I'm sure others will find the additional info helpful! ;)
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.