Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thinking of ordering this 4 camera, low light setup  (Read 10769 times)

y2kgtp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Thinking of ordering this 4 camera, low light setup
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »

I talked to a X10 operator, and she suggested this for what I was looking for:

http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx20a_ed_cam_41806b_promo_bw.html

I wanted 4 cameras for outside use, and to be able to use in low light for after dark.  I likely will also install motion sensor
floodlights, so this should help with the visibility.  It also comes with 1 pan\tilt base thing, so will see where I can use this one.

Any information on the recording to computer?  How much space does it require?  I have a spare 60G drive I can dedicate for
recordings on my home PC, I'm hoping this would be enough.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Thinking of ordering this 4 camera, low light setup
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »

I talked to a X10 operator, and she suggested this for what I was looking for:

http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx20a_ed_cam_41806b_promo_bw.html

I wanted 4 cameras for outside use, and to be able to use in low light for after dark.  I likely will also install motion sensor
floodlights, so this should help with the visibility.  It also comes with 1 pan\tilt base thing, so will see where I can use this one.

Any information on the recording to computer?  How much space does it require?  I have a spare 60G drive I can dedicate for
recordings on my home PC, I'm hoping this would be enough.

The floodlight will probably provide the ONLY visibility after dark.  These cameras are by no means "see in the dark" and without artificial illumination will show virtually nothing after about 30 minutes after sundown.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »

Charles Sullivan is correct (he always is). If (for security reasons) I could only have ether light or cameras... I think I might chose the lights.

I also use the X10 floodlights and they are great. They actually turn my cameras on... and more. I have a wired X10 low-light camera in the garage... it doesn't require much light to see if the door is down... but it does require light.

I also use one of the cheap clunky IR cameras... in an area where it is sure to be seen. The hidden cameras are good to see crime... but unless the camera(s) are seen they don't prevent/deter crime. I give the would-be intruder every chance to change thier mind. See my YouTube Video which includes my deterent.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

y2kgtp

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I have lights in the areas I want to watch, such as my front porch, and driveway (4 100W equivalent florescent bulbs in the front)

I just installed today a motion sensor floodlight that stays low at night, unless it detects motion, then goes on full in the backyard.  I likely will order this kit, but will test the range first before I mount anything.  My house is fairly large (3700sf) so concerned over the 100 foot range as stared on the cameras......

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »

......... concerned over the 100 foot range as stared on the cameras.

The "open-air" range is accurate. However walls can reduce the range dramatically.... the type of construction used to make the walls plays a big part. Things like metal siding, or metal lathe used with plaster can greatly reduce signal transmission. I've found that placing my cameras (and receivers) near windows can make a big difference. Of course.... there is bunches of info and tips here at the forum on the X10 cameras. A little searching will likely help... if you do have any problems.

y2kgtp

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »

Been looking on eBay, and I might get one of these, when\if the seller gets back to me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-WIRELESS-4-Camera-DVR-Security-Surveillance-System_W0QQitemZ260223225243QQihZ016QQcategoryZ48634QQcmdZViewItem

I am liking the IR built into the color cameras for low light viewing, and it also has DVR\Motion recording as well.  Motion sensing goes off of screen movement, I guess:

Now you can record only the action.  No need to waste precious hard drive space recoding nothing.  You can even select what part of the screen you do not want “motion activated”.  For example, a window view of a street with passing cars- We’ve selected the entire screen to be motion activated but have deselected parts of the screen near the store window and glass doors.  If a car passes by, the DVR will record not record the car, but if someone walks by the selected areas in front, then the DVR will begin recording the scene until the person moves out of the selected area.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »

Been looking on eBay, and I might get one of these, when\if the seller gets back to me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-WIRELESS-4-Camera-DVR-Security-Surveillance-System_W0QQitemZ260223225243QQihZ016QQcategoryZ48634QQcmdZViewItem

I am liking the IR built into the color cameras for low light viewing, and it also has DVR\Motion recording as well.  Motion sensing goes off of screen movement, I guess:

Wow.... all that and a FREE VACATION CERTIFICATES. And people worry about X10's deals being UN-believeable.(?)

Even though the e-bay deal looks a little too good.... IR cameras can be nice. They most definitely have a place in a security system. But even though good outdoor lighting can cost a bit to install... it is also essential to good home security. If you meet the BASIC needs of security lighting.... IR cameras have less of a place. Without good outdoor lighting... the cameras can't be seen by potential intruders... and therefore DO NOT DETER the crime.

Sure.... I have to admit... seeing CSI reviewing the video and catching the murderous child molesters makes good TV! And, I know, there isn't any glamore, WHAT-SO-EVER... when the criminal just walks by a home because it poses too much risk, because it actually looks secure. But I'd rather have real-life security for my family than TV-life glamor... in my mind.

Sorry.... just my thoughts... and not-so humble option.

y2kgtp

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 11:50:55 PM »

Yeah, I kinda ignored the "free vacation" thing.......I liked the idea it was 4 color cameras, and the IR would help a bit at night.  All the locations I want a camera
in have lighting...my porch, front of house, side of house, and the backyard.  I just put in a motion sensor floodlight (non-x10) in the backyard, and was going to
put one in the side yard light as well.  Just nice as they come on when it gets dark on low, and go bright if they detect motion.....

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 12:40:27 AM »

A good hardwired IR camera (with lots of IR LED's) can be nice.... to get a look outside...when a noise is heard. If it is mounted high enough it can't easily be tampered with... and in an area where it can also be spotted easy... it can also deter a would-be thief. They can work well in non-lighted indoor areas as well... like outbuildings, the dog run, sheds, a garage, or even a basement.... for checking out noises

I have a nice clunky sized, silver colored, Astak IR camera that sticks out like a sore thumb... the LED's even glow a pinkish RED when ON at night. The rest of the cameras.... not so easy to spot.

I use enough motion sensor floodlights.. I could play sports in my yard at night. I like the X10 motion sensors... cause they also activate other lights and such. I also use the hardwired low-voltage lawnlamps (no shadows around the house).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.