Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestion for new product on X10  (Read 4172 times)

morada2025

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Suggestion for new product on X10
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »

I want someone who works for X10 who implements the development and sale of products on this site t o read this email.

I have bought products here in the past, and I wish you could help me today.
My husband just got the entire side of his $ 40,000 truck completely totalled in a parking lot today.
Of course, the only recourse we have with our insurance company is to try and review the security camera - one camera for the whole parking lot at a very busy Lowes Hardware.

If I had the ability to put a video camera on top his truck, that was motion activated to record to a dvd that plugged into a cigarette lighter or something -when someone touched the truck - it would start recording -I would buy it right now.

$ 3000.00 worth of damage that my insurance company has to foot the bill for.
People in parking lots have become total idiots !
Has anyone else noticed this ????

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Suggestion for new product on X10
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »

There are products to do that, HOWEVER, you would need a camera on each side of the truck pointed in a ever so sweet spot.  Then what would you get a video of?  Probably the video showing just a (insert color) car/truck/van.  Depending on angle and direction I doubt you would be able to get a license plate or without a doubt id of the vehicle.   Meaning, so you get a video of a brown car with a female driver?  Now where is that brown car?   
  I hear the frustration, I know what you mean about vehicle damage in parking lots.  Usually it helps by wisely choosing where to park.  Usually toward the end of the row, or a far spot of the lot from the doors.  It's been my experience that the careless drivers are usually wanting to park close to the door/exit. 

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:12:54 AM »

Trol1374 is correct about needing cameras for all angles. Last year,  I purchased the "Vehicle Safeguard" for about $70. It's a dashboard camera that plugs into your cigarette lighter.  I have it pointed straight ahead, so that's the only angle I'm protected from.  I have a 2g SD card that gives about 4-5 hours of recording, then it just overwrites itself.  It also has a laser pointer built in, to help you line it up straight.  It actually puts out a pretty good picture.  There are a couple examples on youtube.
At least some protection, is better than no protection.

That's a shame about the truck.

Oznog

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:02:39 AM »

Trol1374 is correct about needing cameras for all angles. Last year,  I purchased the "Vehicle Safeguard" for about $70. It's a dashboard camera that plugs into your cigarette lighter.  I have it pointed straight ahead, so that's the only angle I'm protected from.  I have a 2g SD card that gives about 4-5 hours of recording, then it just overwrites itself.  It also has a laser pointer built in, to help you line it up straight.  It actually puts out a pretty good picture.  There are a couple examples on youtube.
At least some protection, is better than no protection.

That's a shame about the truck.

I would TOTALLY like to use that to defend myself against bogus "red light" citations or other such crap.  The cop has a camera in his car to show the court his side of the story.  I want a camera to show mine.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:42:25 PM »

If I had the ability to put a video camera on top his truck, that was motion activated to record to a dvd that plugged into a cigarette lighter or something -when someone touched the truck - it would start recording -I would buy it right now.

Protecting our cars and trucks may become more important as time goes on. I was an adult (and car owner) during our last gasoline crisis. People stealing gasoline became a real problem back then (God I sound old). As people secured the gas (with gas-cap locks back then) more damage was done to the car... or in many cases the gas tank was opened up or gas-line cut. What couldn't be stole was left to drain out on the ground.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

daytona7

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:26:50 PM »

I was an adult (and car owner) during our last gasoline crisis.

If you was an adult during the last gas crisis, what are you now ????  Only thing I can think of is that maybe you go through another childhood every 10 years like I do.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.