Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 15 +/- minute closet light timer  (Read 18770 times)

stevess

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
15 +/- minute closet light timer
« on: April 11, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »

I use a switch module to turn on closet lights. Can that trigger a macro to turn them off in 15 minutes (like using a spring timer switch)?  If not, what is the simplest way to accomplish this?
Thank You

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: 15 +/- minute closet light timer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 05:00:09 PM »

The easiest way might be to use a motion detector with a delay set for 16 min.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »

I use a switch module to turn on closet lights.

What is the model of the switch?
If it is an X10 brand, then no. If it is an Insteon brand, then maybe.

If it's not the type of wall switch that repeats an X10 signal, then as steven r suggested, adding a motion sensor is the easiest add-on to what you already have.

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »

I use a switch module to turn on closet lights. Can that trigger a macro to turn them off in 15 minutes (like using a spring timer switch)?  If not, what is the simplest way to accomplish this?
Thank You

Or you could use a Slimline switch and use that to trigger a macro in ActiveHome Pro.  Or, if you don't want to use RF altogether, you could replace your switch with an X10 transmitter (Leviton 16400) with an appropriate plug-in keypad and use that to trigger a macro.

stevess

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:22:54 PM »

Thanks all so far.
I am redmodeling my bedroom and trying to figure out how I best lay out switches and automate some things.
I plan to use a WS467 for the closet lights.  It is not a walk in closet but a 13' wall to wall sliding door thing with divisions.  The sensor would probably be in the main bedroom area where motion would be frequent and not just related to the closet.  I am fairy new to X10 and haven't used a motion detector yet. I don't my using RF,  but I want a hard wired switch for rliability (I have that much X10 experience!).

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 06:46:37 PM »

Thanks all so far.
I am redmodeling my bedroom and trying to figure out how I best lay out switches and automate some things.
I plan to use a WS467 for the closet lights.  It is not a walk in closet but a 13' wall to wall sliding door thing with divisions.  The sensor would probably be in the main bedroom area where motion would be frequent and not just related to the closet.  I am fairy new to X10 and haven't used a motion detector yet. I don't my using RF,  but I want a hard wired switch for rliability (I have that much X10 experience!).

The reliability of the hard-wired switch would be negated by using a RF motion sensor (at least as far as turning the light off is concerned).

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »

My only comment is having X10 control of a closet light has a negative WAF.  I had our bedroom closet light on X10 and the wife hated it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »

My only comment is having X10 control of a closet light has a negative WAF.  I had our bedroom closet light on X10 and the wife hated it.
Good point Dan!
one wants to avoid negative WAF as much as possible! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Boiler

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »

Thanks all so far.

Steve,
It sounds like you are looking for a Hardwired switch (Instant on) with some sort of feedback to initiate a 15 minute timer macro.

This can be done with a WS467 and a motion detector (MS12a or other) using the built in photocell in the motion detector.

The configuration would operate as follows -
1) Place the motion detector in your closet so that it is not triggered by ambient light but has a good line of sight to your closet lamp (the on signal).
2) Configure the sensor at a base house/unit code of say "B1'.
3) Create a macro that senses a "B2" on (the photocell will communicate on "B1" + 1) and starts a 15 minute "Off" timer.

When configured your WS467 will activate the closet lamp and the WS467 will send a RF "B2" On.  This will in turn start your 15 minute "off macro" to turn the WS467 off.  The downside to this approach is the RF reception of the CM15a which can present a problem in some houses.

If you are interested in this approach, try a search on "Oldtimers" rf reception/transmission improvement (9 inches of wire coupled to the CM15a/motion sensor).  I am currently using this in a 4500 sq foot house with 12 motion sensors on three levels.

If you desire a "truly hardwired" solution, the options are limited.  The only toggle style dimmer that I know of that supports true X10 2-way communication (transmits X10 ON/Off with manually activated) is the Smarthome Insteon Togglelinc model 2466 ($45).  While these are sold as Insteon devices they are backward compatible with X10.  I've never used a toggleinc but I have many Switchlinc dimmers (decora version) and have used them in X10 mode for ~ 2years.

Hope this helps,
Boiler

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »

Other than that one negative WAF, she loves X10!!! 

We've had X10 since 1985 or so, the first use was with a CP290 and X10's DOS software, to various shareware programs to control the 290, to Active Home and the CM11A and now to AHP and the CM15A.

Lights come on in the morning, and go off again, then in the evening, lights come on and go off at 1:00 AM . A keypress macro shuts off all lights on 3 housecodes whenever A5 OFF is pressed on a MC460.

We never come in the evening to a dark house.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

stevess

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »

Thanks Boiler,
That approach sounds pretty good.  I am having Rf reception issues with my CM15a.  I tried the wire but didn't make it exactly 9.5". It didn't help much.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.