Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using DS10A to (simple) turn on a lamp...Is it possible with AHP offline?  (Read 24810 times)

Adalla

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • Learning...

Hi!

My name is Alessandro and this is my first post here. Tks in advance for all help that I used to obtain at this community.

I use the AHP disconnected from PC and, therefore I can't use the DS10A to trigger a macro. I just want to turn on a lamp when I open the door. Are there any way to use this security sensor to do this for me? Should I get a DX7000?

Tks

PS: Sorry about my terrible english!  :-\

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171

Adalla: Welcome to the forum. Using a DX7000 will not convert the DS10A's signal to a PLC signal that the CM15A can use nor will it allow you to turn a light on.

Using a V572RF32 All House Code Transceiver from WGL Designs will convert the DS10A's signal to a PLC X10 signal that a CM15A can use to turn on a light (etc.)

Adalla

• Learning...

Tks Puck, but the V572RF32 is very expensive just to turn on a light. Maybe I can use this transceiver to solve others problems but I will try first a cheap solution: I will solder a reed-switch into a SS13A and let this thing do it for me.  I hope it's work.

Tks

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

...I will solder a reed-switch into a SS13A and let this thing do it for me.  I hope it's work.
If that idea could work, a KR19A might be a better choice. There are 2 or 3 key things that could make it a problem, however.

• Both the SS13A and the KR19A are not known for their range.
  • In both cases, the contact is closed when the the door is shut and batteries would not last long.
  • Light would turn back off when the door is closed unless you were using macros.

An easier approach to your challenge might be to just use a motion detector.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:26:09 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Adalla

• Learning...

If that idea could work, a KR19A might be a better choice. There are 2 or 3 key things that could make it a problem, however.
I will use a existing SS13A placed beside the door

Both the SS13A and the KR19A are not known for their range
Yes, but the range is not a problem. The distance between the CM15A is ~ 15 ft

In both cases, the contact is closed when the the door is shut and batteries would not last long.
I will use a normally closed reed-switch

Light would turn back off when the door is closed unless you were using macros.
Yes, I will use a macro to turn on the lamp. This is must run just at night. I intend control other devices (IR) using this:
http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/672/sesent/00/Macro-Module-for-X10-42-Macros-with-IR-Control

It was my first solution, but every time I get into the living room, the lights goes on...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

Adalla
 Why not do the motion sensor mod converting it to a door window sensor?
How to is available  at the Home Automation Knowledge Base  You are handy with a soldering gun and have a spare sensor! ;)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10

...I will use a normally closed reed-switch...
Most read-switches are closed when the the door is closed. That is why I figured it would be like holding your finger on the SS13A button continuously. The battery wouldn't last long in that case.  ;) ...

It was my first solution, but every time I get into the living room, the lights goes on...
Electrical tape works wonders for narrowing the field of view.
For my front porch, I have my motion detector pointing straight down. The only "false" triggers I have are when a wasp thinks it's a flower and when a stray cat comes by.
Last Halloween I needed a trip beam, so I attached a cardboard tube to a motion detector to make it have an extremely narrow field of view.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 05:31:50 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

I don't know if this information will be of any help or not.... but it worked well for me... or I should say my step-daughter. I simply placed a XX-eye motion sensor between her door and her stormdoor. The motion sensors can't "see" through glass... so activity on ether side of the doors has no effect. But passing between the doors (or simply opening one) will trigger the sensor and turn on a light.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Adalla

• Learning...

Why not do the motion sensor mod converting it to a door window sensor?
Tuicemen, I think that my solution could be more simple, if it works. I will try next saturday  and the results will be post here. By the way, very nice link! Favorites, of course.

Electrical tape works wonders for narrowing the field of view.
Steven, tks for the tip! It will be very helpful at my bathroom: I use a motion detector to control the lamp and If the door is not closed, the light goes on when I pass trough the corridor. I will try to limit the "range of view" using your suggestion.

I don't know if this information will be of any help or not.... 

Dave, your suggestion is very interesting but not applicable in my case. I live in a apartment and the livingroom door is placed directly to the elevator's living

(Sorry, but I don't know if what I'm writing is making sense...my english is very poor.)  ???

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10

...I will use a normally closed reed-switch...
Most read-switches are closed when the the door is closed. That is why I figured it would be like holding your finger on the SS13A button continuously. The battery wouldn't last long in that case.  ;) ...
I'm still a bit curious if your read switch is one that closes a contact when the door is closed.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.