Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extreme Newbie  (Read 8370 times)

Sushiholic11

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Extreme Newbie
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:34:25 AM »

I am very new to the X10 automation scene and I have a couple of very basic questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I purchased the X10 SuperSocket Recept SR227/PA011 and X10 Decor Dimmer Switch WS12A/RWS17 with the hope of using the wall switch to control the receptical.

First off, is this possible? I was thinking of mounting the switch in a box with no load attached to it, basically just use the switch as a "controller" to turn the receptical on/off.

Do I need a "controller"?

Thanks for the help.

Bob

speedbugy

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Extreme Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:08:24 AM »

You have to have power to the switch for it to work. May be able to take it apart and add a battery. Otherwise look for a deal on the switch you can control anywhere or get a remote that controls x10 modules. Here is a link to the wall switch you really need.

http://www.x10.com/automation/offer95.htm

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 07:39:32 AM »

You also need a TM751 or a RR501 transceiver to convert the RF signals from SS13 to X10 powerline signals.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

speedbugy

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »

Dan, wont the stick a switch work with the socketrocket ?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:27:37 AM »

I purchased the X10 SuperSocket Recept SR227/PA011 and X10 Decor Dimmer Switch WS12A/RWS17 with the hope of using the wall switch to control the receptical.

First off, is this possible?

This is not possible with these 2 devices. The WS12A is just an X10 dimmer switch and cannot control other X10 devices.

If controlling the SR227 from the wall switch is what you want to do, then you need a different type of switch that can send an X10 PLC signal (I suggest looking at Insteon products).

If you want to use an X10 RF switch, such as an SS13A, then you also require a Transceiver module (TM751 or RR501).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:01:01 PM »

I am very new to the X10 automation scene and I have a couple of very basic questions that I hope someone can help me with.

First off, is this possible? I was thinking of mounting the switch in a box with no load attached to it, basically just use the switch as a "controller" to turn the receptical on/off.

Do I need a "controller"?

Nope you can't use the WS12A to control a Super Socket. The WS12A does not send out an X10 code when switched ON or OFF. Nor can you power a Super Socket through a WS12A.

You (as you guessed) need a contoller like a  Mini Controller, Maxi Controller or any of the wireless RF controllers such as Palm Pad, Slimline switch, Key chain controller, etc. These RF remote controls are used in conjunction with a TM751 or a RR501 tranceiver (or a CM15A and AHP software if you want computer automated control).

In your example; you could use the WS12A to control (only) an incandescent light fixture. Besides cotrol at the switch itself, you could remotly control the WS12A with any of the above listed controllers. OR you could use a controller to control a Super Socket outlet,  but you can't use an X10 wall switch to control another X10 module.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Sushiholic11

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 12:54:26 PM »

So I did some more poking around and from my research it looks like I need a transmitter (of course) so I found the XPT wall transmitters. This should work right?

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/inwall.transmitters.html#popular

Thanks for all the help.

Bob

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 01:05:41 PM »

So I did some more poking around and from my research it looks like I need a transmitter (of course) so I found the XPT wall transmitters. This should work right?

Yes, this will work to transmit an X10 PLC signal for controlling your SuperSocket Receptacle.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.