Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie Question...  (Read 4640 times)

LesCenter

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Newbie Question...
« on: April 24, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »

I live in a large stone house with stone/block walls. Wireless phones and other wireless devices do not work well over distances in a stone/block house. I am looking for a security system where the sensors can be wireless but send to a receiver nearby (like in the same room) that can then transmit the signal through the home wiring to to the control panel elsewhere in the house. X10 seems like that may be a solution, but I can't see what parts would go together to do that. Is it possible?  I imagine the same need would exist for an area that was beyond wireless range.  Any comments would be much appreciated.

LesCenter

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Newbie Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »

Hi LesCenter & welcome to the forums.
The X-10 security sensors I use are wireless technology.  The window and door sensors relay distance is greatly enhanced by use of a repeater.  Now that said regarding your block & stone structure the front side of my house is large rock with no windows, I have not had any problem with the cams or motion sensors there with the receiver approx. 30 - 40 ft away.  I would recommend that you start with a small inexpensive package and work by trial and error.  Don't actually install the products, just set-up your software, insert batteries and move the sensors to different areas of your home to test the reliability.  You have a 30 day money back guarantee on your purchase so you have nothing to loose but a little time and set-up if you are willing to go to the effort.

LesCenter

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »

Thanks.  A repeater (or several) might work.  I didn't know there was such a beast.  What is the part number for the repeaters, and can they be used in multiples?

Les

LesCenter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:27:53 PM »

It would appear that the Smart RF Repeater is no longer available.  Does anyone know if there is a replacement now or planned?

Les

x10challanged

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 07:37:31 PM »

The repeater I use is an x-10 RF Smart repeater you can buy it off e-bay for 20 -30.00 do a search for x-10 rf repeater.  I don't know about using more than one because you may get several signals crossed or have other problems.  I have not had any problems using one.  Maybe someone else in the forums can give us some pros/cons about using more than one.
Tuiceman, Puck or DaveX10 any input about using more than one repeater?

LesCenter

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »

Well I'll check that out.

Thanks a lot guys.

Les

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »

Tuiceman, Puck or DaveX10 any input about using more than one repeater?

Sorry, I don't use a repeater so I can't provide any input to using more than one. However, if there is a delay in the signal processing and re-transmitting, then I can envision a fire-storm of signals being tossed around between them.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »

May depend on the brand you selected and the exact setup.

My ACT CR134 has settings like do not retransmit known repeated signals. Though I have only one in the home.

I had a Smarthome 4826B cause a firestorm with X10 extended messages from a two way AM14A appliance module and a LM14A lamp module.

What brand and model do you have or are thinking of getting?

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 07:41:18 AM »

You can daisychain up to 4 ea. SR73 X10 Smart repeaters -
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

x10challanged

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:20:50 AM »

Thank you for the info Brian & Pajamaguy

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.