Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problems With Window/Door Sensors  (Read 7228 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Problems With Window/Door Sensors
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »

Hi guys just want to give a heads up on these window/door sensors. The last 4 I ordered were defective and repeatedly gave false alarms, x10 is practically giving these things away and I think they have let quality slip, if that's possible. I use to say how dependable these door/window sensors were but not any more! It's a good thing I tested these pryer to putting them in the system. I'm  still a few months away from finishing my DSC super system this thing is going to be expensive but I'm buying the best so I fell it's worth it. X10 should really pay closer attention to quality on their security equipment I mean if a light doesn't come on that's one thing but this stuff is supposedly protecting your valuables and possibly your family and you want it to be something you can depend on, I mean you could be at work or out of town for that matter. I don't know if this is due to shoddy quality sloppy workmanship or that they are just trying to cut corners but I find this really disturbing and felt the folks that frequent this forum and new buyers should be made aware of it. Hopefully x10 will quickly address this issue and correct this.

Tom j.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:52:41 AM by tom j »

bben46

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Problems With Window/Door Sensors
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:07 AM »

I just TRIED to do a system using these. 8 0ut of 10 failed out of the box! I have used these for several projects in the past with no problems. An 80% failure rate is unacceptable. If I had been installing this on my own home, X10 would have gotten the entire shipment back. As it is, The person I recommended these to will not likely be a future X10 customer. The Chinese seem to have absolutely no quality control.

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:42:55 PM »

I just TRIED to do a system using these. 8 0ut of 10 failed out of the box! I have used these for several projects in the past with no problems. An 80% failure rate is unacceptable. If I had been installing this on my own home, X10 would have gotten the entire shipment back. As it is, The person I recommended these to will not likely be a future X10 customer. The Chinese seem to have absolutely no quality control.

What is the nature of the failure?  Are you getting false negatives (no indication of a chage of state of the sensor), or false positives (changes in state when none should occur)?  Do you see the red LED flash on the DS10As when a door opens and closes?  How far are the failing sensors from the console?

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »

You say giving false alarms.  What does that mean?  DS7000 being tripped?  I have a lot of them and not one "false alarm".

Or are you using AHP?  Remember that the DS10a's "report-in" about once an hour with either a "sensor triggered" or "sensor closed" - if you leave a door open, you'll get a triggered RF transmission every hour.

You can't arm a DS7000 with a sensor not closed (unless you bypass it).

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:56:01 PM »

In my particular case I had some hooked up to a spare console to test them in guest bedroom and after an hour os so they would trip. Sent them back and just got 4 more I have them hooked up the same way and after 4 days all appears fine so far that is. The others might have just come from a bad batch, from what I understand from an employee there's very little quality control on these, but this is actually the first time I've actually experienced a problem.

Tom j.

bben46

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »

Re: my earlier post that 8 out of 10 were defective out of the box. They were dead - no response at all. when I replaced them with one of the 2 good ones they worked. Tried to get the bad ones to work again and still no luck, used the same batteries that worked in the others.  I have used these before with no problems. I am still waiting for the replacements to arrive (about a week)

wwielbicki

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 11:32:57 PM »

Just started installing my DS7000 had a problem with the longest run (45 feet) not working untill I moved the console closer. then one sensor on a door did not work that was due to a lousy connection on the mag switch took off the wire and reconnected it and it worked. the second one I am waiting for a replacement as when the test button was pushed the red led flashed all the time untill the button was released and the sensor never would register. I dont know about the motion sensors they are not very responsive.... I quess you get what you pay for........

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.