Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless car surveillance solution for my apartment.  (Read 4458 times)

Freth

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless car surveillance solution for my apartment.
« on: May 07, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »

I am in need of a car surveillance solution.  I live in an apartment complex where my car is on the other side of the building and I do not have a direct way of plugging in AC.  My idea is to set up a couple of cameras in my car facing out the windows and have the video and/or pictures sent to my apartment via wireless connection.  The problem is I don't have a way of powering the cameras within the car without a power converter.  Then I would possibly run the battery down over time.  Has anyone been able to adapt an X10 kit to this type of solution?  I can't mount a camera on the outside of the apartment, but I may be able to hook one to a telephone pole across the way.  I'd much rather have the cameras inside the car though.  There's still the power issue, which is my main hurdle to overcome.  Ideas?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Wireless car surveillance solution for my apartment.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »

Power shouldn't be a problem as they will work from battery with out an inverter!
The wall warts that come with the cams convert 110 AC to 12volt DC! ;)
The issues will be switching from cam to cam as this is don via PLC signals and not RF!
The other issue will be RF range! Although X10 states a range of 100 ft many have problems getting more then a few feet! :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

zach1234

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »

Power shouldn't be a problem as they will work from battery with out an inverter!
The wall warts that come with the cams convert 110 AC to 12volt DC! ;)
The issues will be switching from cam to cam as this is don via PLC signals and not RF!
The other issue will be RF range! Although X10 states a range of 100 ft many have problems getting more then a few feet! :(
he is right you might want to try a fake camera or http://www.smarthome.com/75240.html (Who knew they had that)

daytona7

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »

Everyone keeps saying that they have problems at distances.  Have tested the camera outside over 200 foot from a brick house with the receiver in the basement with fluorescent ceiling lights on and only problems were when the camera and antenna was in front on my body between myself and the receiver.  I guess all the baby fat and water distorts the signals.  Have had the same problem with the receiver outside hooked to a portable TV less than 20 foot away, even with those mini spy cameras.  Could be that I have had my old X-10 cameras for about 10 years.   Have to see if I can get receiption with the camera mounted in the rear window of my 30 foot fifth wheel RV and the receiver in cab of my pickup linked to my laptop at an additional 10 foot using as a backup camera.  Too cheap to pay $$$ for one of those newer wireless backup cameras with a monitor screen the size of a Zippo lighter.   Need to get a better inverter first as the first one a camperworld special does not work.  Should be no different than having the camera in a car with the receiver inside a house.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.