Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LM465 Lamp Module Fade-On!?  (Read 6009 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
LM465 Lamp Module Fade-On!?
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »

I bought a single LM465 Lamp module and it turns it's lamp full on right away when triggered on. It dims when asked to and turns off like a good module. I was so pleased that I bought a 3 pack of them and those 3 units fade on when turned on. Very romantic I suppose but I'm using them in a more "industrial" environment and want more responsive x-10 servants.

I can't see any difference on the label (like a revision denotion).

Can someone tell me what's up, how I can be sure I buy non-fading ones or best yet how to modify mine to make the non-fade.

Thanks in advance,

:Ron
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: LM465 Lamp Module Fade-On!?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:04:57 AM »

X10 added the fade on with the newer modules but never changed the model numbers! there is a thread which addresses this but it eludes me right now!
To be sure you get the modules your looking for it seems your best to order from a X10 distributor like Automatedoutlet   and specify the type you want! They may have the older stock! ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 01:05:13 AM »

If you have trouble locating the older X10 version, I do have a few of the equivalent Leviton #6226 left.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:42:58 AM »

I believe the soft start is in the firmware and no modifications are available. Also the new soft start units are with updated surface mounted parts and PC Board to match.
As others have said. Some dealers may have the older ones if you need them.
I got two olde style and the Date Codes are between two known Soft Start codes. ::)

bitman

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:10 AM »

Thank you all.

Disturbing news nevertheless.
I suppose when you hear a sound at night in your bedroom you can s-l-o-w-l-y determine what it is!
 ???

A year ago when I first found out about x-10. I bought an x-10 starter kit that had a remote, a base unit and a lamp controller.
I knew better than to dim a transformer, but was not going to so I went ahead and plugged a Behringer 802 mini audio mixer into it and it worked, turning of and on (Silently I might add) for months. I finally got around to buying 3 more lamp controllers to turn off and on 3 more of the same type mixers. The mixer transformers blew out within one day. I only found out in hindsight that it was because of the slow fade turn on "feature" of some of the lamp controllers.  ::) So I bought some replacement transformers and 4 appliance controllers for those mixers. They go "CLACK" when you turn them on and off. This will be disturbing but it was what it was. Now in further hindsight it is clear that I can use old revision lamp controllers to control the mixer power and loose the "CLACK" too without the modifications to a appliance controller that is to silence them.

So it's back to the well again.

Sigh....

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:47:12 AM by bitman »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »

To be sure you get the modules your looking for it seems your best to order from a X10 distributor like Automatedoutlet   ...

When I try that link, it apparently attempts to subscribe me to something (spam?), but fails (good security on my end!).  Anyone else getting that result?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »

No I can access it no problem and I have ordered from them in the past. Though they maybe trying to add a cookie or something that your blocker doesn't like.
They know my name when I access the web page so I can be fairly sure they are doing some tracking.

mad212

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »

One thing i found interesting is when I use my handheld remote and press either dim or brighten, it will turn the last used light to 100% with no fade.  So their must be a work around for your setup

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »

One thing i found interesting is when I use my handheld remote and press either dim or brighten, it will turn the last used light to 100% with no fade.  So their must be a work around for your setup

Yup that is normal.

The last module receiving a command will stay in a command response mode until a new HCUC address is sent over the powerline. So as long as only an X10 command is sent (BRI, DIM, ON, OFF) without a HCUC address preceding it, the last module addressed will perform the command even if it is days later.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 08:49:26 PM »

Thank you all.

Disturbing news nevertheless.
I suppose when you hear a sound at night in your bedroom you can s-l-o-w-l-y determine what it is!
 ???

A year ago when I first found out about x-10. I bought an x-10 starter kit that had a remote, a base unit and a lamp controller.
I knew better than to dim a transformer, but was not going to so I went ahead and plugged a Behringer 802 mini audio mixer into it and it worked, turning of and on (Silently I might add) for months. I finally got around to buying 3 more lamp controllers to turn off and on 3 more of the same type mixers. The mixer transformers blew out within one day. I only found out in hindsight that it was because of the slow fade turn on "feature" of some of the lamp controllers.  ::) So I bought some replacement transformers and 4 appliance controllers for those mixers. They go "CLACK" when you turn them on and off. This will be disturbing but it was what it was. Now in further hindsight it is clear that I can use old revision lamp controllers to control the mixer power and loose the "CLACK" too without the modifications to a appliance controller that is to silence them.

So it's back to the well again.

Sigh....

For an appliance drawing less than 1 Amp, an LM15A "Socket Rocket" with a plug adapter on both ends will work and is silent.  It's non-dimmable.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

bitman

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »

No foolin'

I'll look into that.
....Socket rocket..... ;D

Thanks.

mad212

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »

Yup that is normal.

The last module receiving a command will stay in a command response mode until a new HCUC address is sent over the powerline. So as long as only an X10 command is sent (BRI, DIM, ON, OFF) without a HCUC address preceding it, the last module addressed will perform the command even if it is days later.

so how can we get the light to come on with out the fade? besides hitting the dim/brighten button

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »

so how can we get the light to come on with out the fade? besides hitting the dim/brighten button

As stated earlier in the thread, other than finding a source for the older design modules, you can't.  If you have the newer design wall switch or lamp module with the "Soft Start" feature, it will always fade ON and fade OFF.

If you can do without dimming, switch to "Socket Rockets". They only provide ON and OFF control. They can not be dimmed, and they do not have the "Soft Start" feature.

It seems like a lot of users do not like the Soft Start feature, but it dramatically increases bulb life.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 07:47:59 PM »

Yup that is normal.

In ActiveHome Pro, a macro which sends Extended Code 0x31 data 0x3F will turn on the (new design) LM465 to full brightness immediately without the fade.  (Data 0x3E will turn it on to full brightness with fade.)   I should add though that I know of no way of turning OFF the LM465 without the fade, which would be just as damaging as the soft start.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 07:52:20 PM by Charles Sullivan »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.