Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Suggestions for improving the forums  (Read 47566 times)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Suggestions for improving the forums
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 11:38:30 AM »

Pardon my skepticism, but who is X10alex?  Before we all go blurry-eyed and stay up late at night thinking and reporting good suggestions for improving the Forum ... is X10alex actually someone from X10 that can and will implement changes? 

There are 82 Members' names that begin with X10.  So is this member really a X10 technical staffer?  Call me "Doubting-Thomas", but I need more assurance that someone works at X10, than just the fact that he says he is an X10 staffer and his member name begins with X10.

As a reminder, this Forum has several topics requesting ideas by X10 Staffers for improvements that have gone no where (e.g. AHP COMMENTS/IDEAS/FIXES, dated September 25, 2007).  Is this topic just another go no where topic?

I apologize for being overly skeptical ...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:40:50 AM by Don N »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »

I agree with every one else on the "Ratings" "feature". It adds no value. However one forum regular suggested you just kill the negitive rating ability, which I think is a good solution.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tony Olson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »

I agree - removing the negative rating would be a good idea.

Tony
Tony

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »

Pardon my skepticism, but who is X10alex?  Before we all go blurry-eyed and stay up late at night thinking and reporting good suggestions for improving the Forum ... is X10alex actually someone from X10 that can and will implement changes? 

There are 82 Members' names that begin with X10.  So is this member really a X10 technical staffer?  Call me "Doubting-Thomas", but I need more assurance that someone works at X10, than just the fact that he says he is an X10 staffer and his member name begins with X10.

As a reminder, this Forum has several topics requesting ideas by X10 Staffers for improvements that have gone no where (e.g. AHP COMMENTS/IDEAS/FIXES, dated September 25, 2007).  Is this topic just another go no where topic?

I apologize for being overly skeptical ...
I have to agree with you Don,no apology needed!
Most X10 staff have a different user rating then newbie!
As a suggestion X10Alex since your an IT guy change it, you have the power! ;)
We have All had our share of impostors (users deceiving others) but regardless of  whether or not X10Alex works for X10 or not his intentions with this thread are good! ;)
He'd like to see more user involvement and become a place in which many will continue to visit and not just with questions!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »

Pardon my skepticism, but who is X10alex?  Before we all go blurry-eyed and stay up late at night thinking and reporting good suggestions for improving the Forum ... is X10alex actually someone from X10 that can and will implement changes?...
It has been so long since we heard from someone at X10. I hope we haven't been trolled.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 06:52:08 PM »

[  Correct and we have users like that Yourself that ding because that user did not get one. Some assume people on the forums are kid that dint know a thing. Hey I forgot to introduce myself, I am "what ever you want to call me" My favorite nick is:

Idiot Boy -Puck
PrioritySupport - Bill cough it right away in HAC.

X10alex: You won't find a better example of why Community Organizer's need the ability to keep people like this away.

If this doesn't convince you changes are a must, then nothing will. Since I cannot PM him a private reply, I would have to do so in public. This problem will not  go away on its own.

X10alex

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »

Yes, I am in fact an x10 employee.  Feel free to email me at alexg@x10.com.

I'm going to be straight with you: X10 is not going to moderate this board, and I'm the only one who's in a position to make any changes to the forums software.  While I may have some time in the future to implement some suggestions, at the moment that is not feasible.  Sacking the negative rating thing is very reasonable, but the truth is that I have a lot of development on my plate right now and just do not have enough time to learn how the forums work.

That being said - I am a forum-goer myself and I know how frustrating it is to have a couple idiots ruining things for everyone else.  If the community here can agree on an individual or two (or agree on a process to select one), I am happy to make them moderators, who can delete posts, threads, and ban users.

And.. one last thing.  Though we might not show it very often, we do love you all.  This community has become a fantastic resource for X10 users and we don't want it to fall victim to the same problem that ruins so many good forums.  Hopefully we can meet in the middle on this one.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 08:40:52 PM »

Let's have an election!
I nominate the following:
Puck
Brian H
Steven R
KDR
Tuicemen
Boiler
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
oldtimer
Dave_x10_L

I'm sure that a poll could be set up when the nominations end.

PS.  at some time, this post should be broke into a new thread.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »

Congratulations to Tuicemen
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »

Yes, I am in fact an x10 employee.  Feel free to email me at alexg@x10.com....
...And.. one last thing.  Though we might not show it very often, we do love you all.  This community has become a fantastic resource for X10 users and we don't want it to fall victim to the same problem that ruins so many good forums.  Hopefully we can meet in the middle on this one.
Great to hear that and again thanks for opening up this discussion. You have no idea how much it means to the regulars here to know  that someone at X10 reads these posts.

...I'm going to be straight with you: X10 is not going to moderate this board, and I'm the only one who's in a position to make any changes to the forums software.  While I may have some time in the future to implement some suggestions, at the moment that is not feasible.  Sacking the negative rating thing is very reasonable, but the truth is that I have a lot of development on my plate right now and just do not have enough time to learn how the forums work....
If someone such as delegated administer / moderator figures out how to do it will you let them? Or if we figure out how and tell you, will you change it, if it only takes a few minutes? BTW... The rating system has been turned off before.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 09:40:07 PM »

x10 is watching...
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 04:44:36 AM »

Congratulations to Tuicemen

Congratulations to Tuicemen a very good choice.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 06:05:11 AM »

Excellent choice. Congratulations Tuicemen.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 06:51:27 AM »

Tuicemen is an excellent choice for an Administrator. Congratulations to him.
I know that any problem that arises will be handled fairly and unbiased.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 07:01:14 AM »

AlienDev; Glad that we now know that X10 is at least watching the forums; as more companies; pile work on workers they have. Time can be at a premium.

X10alex; Thanks for confirming you are with X10. Sometime users here may sound and act like X10 employees and not be.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.