Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DVR/VCR/VHS Recorders for Wireless Camera?  (Read 24277 times)

autopilot

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
DVR/VCR/VHS Recorders for Wireless Camera?
« on: May 18, 2008, 11:46:42 PM »

I'm a home automation newbie and enthusiast and am still skimming before deciding which X10 set-up and/or equipment are appropriate for my needs. I'll have more questions and posts but this will be the first one for now. I'm not sure if I correctly phrased these questions but here it goes...

My objective is to provide a motion-activated video camera recording capability which is automatically recorded and can viewed or reviewed at a later time. What would be your recommended video recorder/s to be compatible for the X10 VCR/IR Commander (UX21A)? Will any VCR, VHS or DVD recorder or even PC-based DVR (using PC harddrive) work in conjunction with the UX21A to record a motion-activated wireless cam set-up? Also, are there better set-ups than these?   If so, any additional tips/advice are well appreciated. Thanks!
The basic, must-haves for home repair are duct tape if it moves and WD-40 if it doesn't...

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: DVR/VCR/VHS Recorders for Wireless Camera?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »

..................... are there better set-ups than these?   If so, any additional tips/advice are well appreciated. Thanks!

Better is such an objective term....

The great thing about the VCR setup is the cost. More often or not it only requires getting the old VCR out and hooking it up. A DVD recorder works fine too... and quality is improved. Recording to your hard drive..... a very nice option. There are many options!

I record to a VCR, using the VCR commander (cost was my deciding feature there). However I also added an IP server (a device with it's own IP server built-in). It emails me clippets of video everytime the VCR is activated.

I also use a voice announcement as part of my Home Automation/Camera/Security system. You can see some of it on a YouTube Video I have uploaded.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

autopilot

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »

Dear Dave,

WOW! You're X10 home automation video demo presentation is a BLAST! Very impressive and thanks for sharing.. Reminds me of the Star Trek series and the Jetsons.. ;D Also makes me crave to have similar set-up like yours but soon.. I'll keep you posted if I have more questions. Thanks again...
The basic, must-haves for home repair are duct tape if it moves and WD-40 if it doesn't...

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »

............ makes me crave to have similar set-up like yours ...

You will need X10's AHP (Active Home Pro and software), $49.99 with free shipping (X10.com). And BVC which you can get (free trial download or complete software for only $30 [HERE]

Setup is really easy.... but will easily eat-up a weekend (or more). You can read more about my system at my BVC fan Site. And I have a few videos... at YouTube.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:52:48 PM by Dave_x10_L »

autopilot

New to X10 AHP Starter Kit + Modules
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:06:32 AM »

After some hurried planning and assessment on my lighting and appliances automation needs, I ordered from X10.com a complete PC home automation system featuring all AHP software (including SmartMacros, iWatchout, MyHouseOnline and AHP Home Security Solution), the Complete Remote Home Automation Pack plus extra RCA modules and MiniTimer2 as my starter kits. I got it all since I'd like to initially explore the AHP software, its features/capabilities and hopefully hasten then steepen my learning curve as well as make way for future expansion.  I also bought from a local bookstore the Absolute Beginner's Guide to Home Automation (by Mark E. Soper) to at least have some headstart. I'm not sure if these are enough but I'm all ears to you all...

I'm a bit excited to start my home automation project with X10 but quite afraid I still have a zillion questions in my head so I hope any of you experienced guys are willing to help me out. In return, I'll also share whatever useful info I may come across for everyone who may find it useful as my experience grows...

By the way Dave, thanks for the useful links. Appreciate it.
I tried downloading and running the BVC free trial software and also updated the SpeechSDK51.exe to my laptop running Windows XP Home Ed. and IE.v7 (which I plan to install all my AHP software upon arrival) BUT a dialog box/pop-up displayed " BVC.exe - Application Error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate application".
Did I miss out something or what could have caused this ??? Is there another way to test drive the BVC with my set-up.

Pls. advise. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:14:17 AM by autopilot »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:47:40 AM »

autopilot you also neeed to install Net Framework at leased Version 2.0 Redistributable
Although version 3.5 is out it is only required if you have Vista ;)
You may eventualy need it too if Bill addes anything which needs it!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

autopilot

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »

Dear Tuicemen,

Thanks a lot! Yeah after following your tip and updated my Windows XP to SP3 and other components, the BVC trial version finally worked! (So those are what I missed!).  BVC is AMAZING espec. the editable custom commands. I just wish there are more Face Graphics and Select Voice options to make it more fun... :)

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:20:40 PM »

................. I just wish there are more Face Graphics and Select Voice options to make it more fun... :)

Oh.... you just need to read some more! Here is the BVC thread (here at the X10 forum). Some "face-set" info (did I mention.. you can even make your own face-sets ). Also a little about different (better) voices.

autopilot

Omni-directional, Multi-Room Voice-Recognition (VR) System How-To/DIY?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »

Many thanks Dave for sharing such wealth of info ;-) I was able to add the kitt2 and MS voices to my custom line-up...and am amazed about home automation's possibilities!  ;D  Now, I'm becoming more interested in voice-recognition interfacing (using BVC) to minimize remotes and switches (drilling holes are prohibited) inside my apartment. I've only tried my PC mic headset but it can only detect/recognize my commands if I wear it and it's wired. So far, I've read somewhere here some improvised projects using wireless baby monitors, motion sensors, etc. with somewhat crude description on the "how it was done" steps and piece-meal instructions which I find confusing...

If anyone knows of any more, better resources, info links on do-it-yourself, how-to design/set-up affordable and easy to set-up omni-directional, multi-room voice-recognition system using BVC and/or AHP X10 interfaces, I'd like to know..Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:30:41 PM by autopilot »

HA Dave

.................. I've read somewhere here some improvised projects using wireless baby monitors..........

If anyone knows of any more, better resources, info links on do-it-yourself, how-to design/set-up affordable and easy to set-up omni-directional, multi-room voice-recognition system using BVC and/or AHP X10 interfaces, I'd like to know.

Wow.... just so happens I may be the global expert on "Baby Monitor to Voice Recognition" [as it applies to BVC].

Have you seen my BVC Fan Page (<link) It's a good place to start.

Here at the X10 forum I also have a thread about setting up whole-house microphone (using baby monitors). That thread even links back to my Site with pictures... and the whole story of my set-up. Back in those days, Bill was calling the program BXVC (he has now dropped the "X".

You will also want to check out BVC's (Bill's) own forum.

Keep reading.... but also "jump right in" it's easy to do... and a lot of fun. Post more and PM me if you have any problems.

P.S. Alot has been done using two-way intercom's I think that may very well be the new way-to-go!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:51:56 PM by Dave_x10_L »

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »

If anyone knows of any more, better resources, info links on do-it-yourself, how-to design/set-up affordable and easy to set-up omni-directional, multi-room voice-recognition system using BVC and/or AHP X10 interfaces, I'd like to know..Thanks again.

If you look Here you will find my post on how to mod an intercom for two way interface for use with BVC. Pictures are included! And if you have any questions on how to do this feel free to shoot me a PM. Also beware that you about to embark on a highly addictive hobby that unfortunately there is no known 12 step program for as of yet! rofl Have fun and keep us posted! >!
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.