Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please help! Audio problems with X10 video sender/reciever  (Read 31315 times)

Molly123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

O.K.  Pretend you're talking with your mother/grandmother who doesn't have a clue...

I bought the X10 video sender/receiver and I'm having problems with audio.  There is definitely some kind of interference going on.

Q:  I unplugged my micorwave- no difference.  My internet is DSL and I have a laptop that can be wireless.  I unplugged the DSL thing and the laptop with no improvement.

I am this <holds forefinger and thumb very close together> close to returning the whole kit & kiitboodle back for a full refund but I really want this to work.  The picture is perfect.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  The homes in my neighborhood are relatively close but I can't think what the fluck is interfering with the audio.

Thanks a bunch!

Molly

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Please help! Audio problems with X10 video sender/reciever
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:56:07 PM »

Dear Mom,
Try unplugging the power supply to the cordless phones (thingie that plugs into the wall socket, not the phone line).
PS. the cookies you sent were great!
Love,
Knightrider
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Molly123

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:23 AM »

Thanks Knightrider...would it kill you to pick up the phone and call now and then? 

I don't have a cordless phone just a regular land line with a cord.  Any other ideas?

Thanks!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:34:35 AM »

Molly123,

Did you try different channels on the video sender and receiver? ??? ???
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Molly123

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:27 AM »

Thanks for posting, Jim!

I tried A through D on the devices with little difference.  I even tried switching the TV from channel 3 to 4 but there wasn't a change.  I also dusted off an old TV set and had the same problem with the audio.  The picture is perfect even on the antique TV.

Since I unplugged the DSL box (router?), I presume this can't be the source of the interference especially with the laptop being off.

Any other thoughts?

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »

Molly123,

You might want to check that all of the cables are securely plugged in. If you have any spare cables you could try to replace the ones you are using just to verify that the cables are not the problem. (both on the receiver and the transmitter). You could try moving the transmitter as far from the audio source as the cables will allow.

Do you have any other wireless devices plugged in that you may have forgotten about.

Is it possible for you to move  the transmitter and receiver closer together. If so does the problem improve?

_ _ ...  ..._ _

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:57:10 AM »

Molly123,when you tried the old TV was it from the same location?
If so test in a different location! also check other connecting wires not just those from the video receiver! bad cable TV wire connections have been known to generate noise!
Try reversing the wires from the TV to the video receiver yellow ends to red jacks, red ends to yellow jacks if sound improves but picture gets worse the issue is the wire (even new wire can be bad)! :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Molly123

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 07:06:40 AM »

I'll try your suggestions tonight.

Wish me luck!

Molly123

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:20:14 PM »

I narrowed the problem down by trying two diiferent televisions to act as receivers, did all the testing in the same but diiferent room than the other day and also switched up the cables as suggested.

The audio interference is gone (yay!) but now I can't get much volume from either of the two receiver televisions.  The 2 TVs are older and I had to use the coaxial cables since there was no place to plug in the red, yellow & white connector thing.  I suspect only the left or only the right audio is working and I don't know why.  I tried a spare set of coaxial cables but the volume still sucketh.

Any suggestions?  You'ze people have been great!  I really appreciate your help- now help me some more!

Molly

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »

There is a device called a modulator and is used to convert video /sound signals from RCA jacks to a coax cable which will give better reception!
I'm not sure if this will work in your case! ::) These units use to be expensive but have come down in price considerably over the years! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:49:05 PM »

Tuicemen,
Mom, always did like you best.  :P
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 12:10:54 PM »

Hey gang,

Admittedly my memory is only good for a few micro seconds (yes micro, not milli) Anywho, hasn't there been other discussions on audio problems with the VK82 Video Sender/Receiver kit? Seems like there was a flurry of audio problems with the new design units (VT/VR 46). Maybe the problem is not at Mom's end(?).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Molly123

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »

Kids, kids- you know I love you all equally (mouths 'You're my favorite' to Juiceman).

The x10 tech person (Yay Eric!) responded to my dilemna with suggesting I turn up the volume on the sender TV.  D'oh!  I did and the volume is now fine but the interference/awful sound quality is back too.

I'm throwing in the towel.  Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions!  I'll just sit here in a dark kitchen watching snow on my little portable TV.  I don't want to be a bother.  Try not to think of me as you're watching premium movies on your big screen LCD mega sets...

Your Mum-

Molly

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.