Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USB Cable Extender/Connector for AHP CM15A Interface?  (Read 3732 times)

autopilot

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
USB Cable Extender/Connector for AHP CM15A Interface?
« on: May 22, 2008, 04:25:02 PM »

Hi,

I recently ordered the X10's NEW Ultimate Complete PC Home Automation, among others, as my starter kit and its on its way to me. It looks like the nearest wall power outlet where I plan to install my CM15A would require at least 10 ft. of USB cable to reach my  PC’s USB port and the X10 sales rep. advised that the USB cable that comes with the CM15A is only about 2-3 ft. long hence I will need extra length. Got questions:

a. What type/specs of USB connector or extender should I buy to connect the CM15A with my PC? 
b. Where can I buy this? (I can go to RadioShack, Bestbuy, Circuit City and Home Depot in my area if necessary)
c. Is there a way to make this set-up wireless? (to get away with wiring clutter) If so, what are the equipment needed and estimated cost?

I wanted to get this problem sorted out hopefully before my X10 gadgetry arrives  ;D Thanks.
The basic, must-haves for home repair are duct tape if it moves and WD-40 if it doesn't...

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: USB Cable Extender/Connector for AHP CM15A Interface?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:52:48 PM »

Hi,

I recently ordered the X10's NEW Ultimate Complete PC Home Automation, among others, as my starter kit and its on its way to me. It looks like the nearest wall power outlet where I plan to install my CM15A would require at least 10 ft. of USB cable to reach my  PC’s USB port and the X10 sales rep. advised that the USB cable that comes with the CM15A is only about 2-3 ft. long hence I will need extra length. Got questions:

a. What type/specs of USB connector or extender should I buy to connect the CM15A with my PC? 
b. Where can I buy this? (I can go to RadioShack, Bestbuy, Circuit City and Home Depot in my area if necessary)
c. Is there a way to make this set-up wireless? (to get away with wiring clutter) If so, what are the equipment needed and estimated cost?

I wanted to get this problem sorted out hopefully before my X10 gadgetry arrives  ;D Thanks.

You'll have a lot fewer potential problems if you run an AC extension cord to to the CM15A as opposed to a longer USB cable.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

rbolan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:27:58 PM »

Actually I have mine working with a set of USB to Cat-5 converters.  My PC's on the 2nd floor and the CM15A is in the basement by the main breaker panel.  Have had no problems at all.  I suspect a longer USB cable shouldn't be an issue, as long as it's a good quality USB 2.0 rated cable.

Truthfully, I've had more issues with connecting the CM15A thru an extension cord.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »

I use 2, 12 foot USB extention cables connected to my CM15A giving me a total of 30 feet and have had no problems at all. Just don't skimp on quality. My USB cable also runs about 10 feet along side a 120vac extention cord and still no problems. So I think either way will work for you, extention cord to CM15A or extending the USB cable. The more economical way would be the extention cord for the CM15A.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

autopilot

Re: USB Cable Extender fro AHP CM15A Interface?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:44:27 AM »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your respective inputs!

My long-awaited X10 starter gadgets finally arrived! (... post Memorial Day weekend when I could have more time to go over the manuals and install it but glad here it is...). For power safety and aesthetic reasons, I opted for a 10-ft. USB extension cable (though I spent $22 more at Radioshack) over the power extension cord + about 3-ft. USB of the CM15A AHP Transceiver = 13 ft. total for my set-up.. Notably, the Radioshack USB extension manual advised that a USB extension of more than 16 feet is NOT advisable.. What could be the reason/s behind this caution? Signal loss? So has anyone tried doing away with the cables and/wires (my floors are already cluttered with it) by going wireless with the CM15A Interface from the PC?

Viola! My 2 initial LM465s installed even had soft starts and power offs-both for a dining area stand lamp and entrance area table lamp..plus 2 AM486s for my little boombox and a stand fan..  :)%
Guess I just got excited about my little accomplishment that I almost forgot that I have more readings and learning to catch up in these X10 forums and the gadget manuals I haven't browsed yet..To push it further, I tried the 30-day, trial version of BVC and whoa! I was amazed that I was able to control both LM465s through voice command by using my PC mic headset.
So could anyone suggest a more affordable and easier way to set-up an omni-directional microphone system that can pick-up your voice anywhere in your apartment or house?  ??? Any resource info, tips and photos/illustrations would be invaluable.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:51:33 PM by autopilot »
The basic, must-haves for home repair are duct tape if it moves and WD-40 if it doesn't...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.