Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sump Pump High Water Alarm  (Read 6257 times)

mbkerk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Sump Pump High Water Alarm
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »

I am thinking of installing an X10 home security system, but I really have only one thing I want to monitor initially. We have had a LOT of rain here lately and I want to be warned if my sump pump fails and the water starts to get too high in the sump.

The wiring is not an issue for me. I know I can use a door / window sensor hooked to a float switch to cover me there, but what I am curious about is... Does the console report which "zone" has the trouble code when it calls you, or just that there is a problem somewhere. From the research I have been able to do here, it looks like it just makes the call, but doesn't tell me which of the 16 zones has alarmed.

If I am correct in my assumption, has anyone made a "work around" for this, or am I going to have to buy an additional console if I want to add other sensors, say for home break in's in the future.

Thanks!

Mark

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Sump Pump High Water Alarm
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »

...it looks like it just makes the call, but doesn't tell me which of the 16 zones has alarmed.....
I don't have the system myself but from what I've read this is correct.

...If I am correct in my assumption, has anyone made a "work around" for this, or am I going to have to buy an additional console if I want to add other sensors....
I believe some have 2 systems, one for alarm and one for fire using modified fire sensors.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:48:53 PM »

mbkerk the system does just make a call and plays any message you record!
As steven r  stated some have 2 systems, one for security and one for something else(smoke detectors)
A work around would be the use of Active Home Pro (all plug-in package) and a door window sensor. You can have each individual sensor do something different when triggered! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

zach1234

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »

I have 2 consols both for security, here's the thing... I have it call with a message to 3 people at the end of the message it says CHECK YOUR EMAIL. So the person looks in there imbox and see what door or window or motion sensor was tripped and video and snap shots from the nearest security camera.

Translation for you...

Order AHP and all plug ins
Place a camera above the subpump Looking into it so you can see how bad it is.
Do your idea too that's what I am planing,

BTW can you take pictures and email them to me.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »

A work around would be the use of Active Home Pro (all plug-in package) and a door window sensor. You can have each individual sensor do something different when triggered!

Yep... I've been wanting to set-up a sump-pump ON warning. My plan was to use a DS-10 and have OnAlert text message my cell phone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mbkerk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:24:37 AM »

Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to research AHP and see what that will do for me...

One question, (That I guess I will find the answer to on my own as I look around...) I am a recent convert to Mac and OSX Leopard. Does XM software work with OSX?

I will post pictures as soon as I get this project started.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:59:45 AM »

There are a few Mac users in the Community, Duck69 is the most active one that comes to mind! ::)
 -:) I'm sure A PM to him will result in many of your Mac Questions being answered!
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.