Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heavy duty appliance module ??  (Read 5301 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Heavy duty appliance module ??
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:27:37 PM »

Hi,
I know this will probably sound dumb but where is this thing supposed to plug into? I don't have any spade style outlets anywhere (at least I haven't found any).
Can anyone tell me what this thing is used for? It came as a "freebie" with something else I bought.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Heavy duty appliance module ??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:33:21 AM »

Is it the HD-243 15 Amp 220 Volt or the HD245 20 Amp 220 Volt ones that others have said where freebies?
If not what is the model on it, as I kind of remember X10 had a 20 Amp 120 Volt module at one time.

I bought a few from a dealer [EBay not expensive at all] and they where so old they where actually "X10 HD-243" by BSR ::) Yes BSR the original manufacturer of the products.
Date Code on mine is 2J41 and I don't think the 2 is 2002 maybe 1992 or even 1982. After I took one out of the adapter case to see the wall outlet inside. It was marked Leviton. Yes there is a single wall outlet inside the case that makes it a plug in device. Too bad to fit the case they cut off the mounting ears.

Back to the question. I have not seen the NEMA 6-20R Receptacles used in homes in a long time. I still see them in industrial settings and have some at work for machines we manufacture.
I did buy a single NEMA 6-20R outlet at my local hardware store just to play with my new module and  -:) to disassemble it to see how it works. The NEMA 6-20R has slots that mate with both the 15 and 20 amp modules. I believe the 15 has two horizontal tabs and the 20 has one horizontal and one vertical.

Maybe that is why they are freebies.  rofl
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:53:16 AM by Brian H »

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »

Brian H,

Mine is Model No. HD243 250VAC 15A, 2J41 Malaysia. It has 2 horizontal tabs and 1 cylindrical shaped. Is there anything I can use this for, or can I modify it somehow?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 10:42:07 AM »

Sounds like the same one I have. Has a 15 Amp 240 Volt Plug on it and an output to match. Both are a NEMA 6-15 type.
I have not found a good use for mine yet. I can tell you it seems to function when I patch 120 volts into it, but I doubt it would be reliable. I have seen mods to change 120 volt unit to 240 ones. Maybe I will see if I could reverse the process and go to 120 volts though the plug and receptacle are for 240 15 Amps. As I mentioned the four screws on the outer case hold the wall outlet module in an adapter so it can be plugged in. If you take the case off you have a wall outlet with three wires on it. Line 1 Black Line 2 Red and Ground Green.
There is another thread on the HD243 here. Maybe the thread starter is going to do something with his.
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=15361

birdzeye

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:18:47 AM »

Brian H,

Has anyone anywhere EVER been able to find a use for this thing? Like what was the point of manufacturing it in the first place? ???

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »

Way back in the old timey days, didn't they make 220V window air conditioners with the horizontal spades?
Brian has traced the P/N all the way back to BSR which would mean the "2" in the date code is probably 1982. By 1992 BSR was out of the X10 picture. As far as your question, I think it was for use with something that ain't around anymore.

Might be useful for someone who has a 220V air compressor, etc in their shop. You could use it for your first item in your X10 Museum (?)  rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 04:17:06 PM »

david w; 1982 sounds about correct. The IC in it is a GI Pico 563C chip with a date code:8206

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:29 PM »

Way back in the old timey days, didn't they make 220V window air conditioners with the horizontal spades?
Might be useful for someone who has a 220V air compressor, etc in their shop.

We had one of those big old 208/220V air conditioners to cool the main floor at our last house.  It would have been nice for that to click on about an hour before we got home on a sweltering summer day.  Switching off shop equipment is also a good idea.  My compressor is only 120V, but it is on an appliance module to make sure it doesn't come on during the middle of the night.  The bigger ones are 240V.  They must make some serious noise.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

birdzeye

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »

Might be useful for someone who has a 220V air compressor, etc in their shop.

We had one of those big old 208/220V air conditioners to cool the main floor at our last house.  It would have been nice for that to click on about an hour before we got home on a sweltering summer day.  Switching off shop equipment is also a good idea.  My compressor is only 120V, but it is on an appliance module to make sure it doesn't come on during the middle of the night.  The bigger ones are 240V.  They must make some serious noise.

Jeff

Did you actually have an outlet with horizontal tabs in your house for the old air conditioner to plug into, or did you have some kind of an adapter?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »

We had one of those big old 208/220V air conditioners to cool the main floor at our last house. It would have been nice for that to click on about an hour before we got home on a sweltering summer day. Switching off shop equipment is also a good idea. My compressor is only 120V, but it is on an appliance module to make sure it doesn't come on during the middle of the night. The bigger ones are 240V. They must make some serious noise.

Jeff

Did you actually have an outlet with horizontal tabs in your house for the old air conditioner to plug into, or did you have some kind of an adapter?

We bought that big Freidrich back when X10 was in its infancy, and used an Intermatic dial-type timer for a few years.  I don't recall the prong alignment, but the A/C was for 208/240V.  I bought that unit because we had been having trouble with brownouts, and I wanted a unit that would still run at low line voltage.  We left that old workhorse back East.  Here with summer temperatures peaking at almost 120F, central A/C is pretty much a necessity.

We do have several Leviton 6233-I wall receptacles that accept the 6-15P 15A 250V plug.  That was superseded by the 6298 that accepts either 15A or 20A plugs.  (On prong is horizontal, and the other takes either vertical or horizontal.)

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.