Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS12a not working for me  (Read 6589 times)

bilyth

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
WS12a not working for me
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »

It seems like i have one of the newer ws12a switches in that it will remember the dim setting after i turn it off- so if i flick it on it goes directly to the last dim setting.

Am i missing something though? If i use AHP from my computer to a certain dim setting or a preset dim level using macros (which i can then trigger with mini-controller)..then turn it off...the only way to get it back to %100 ever is to physically go to the light switch & bump it back to %100. Since, otherwise if i turn it on from AHP or the mini-controller...the max it will go will be the last dim setting.

This is a huge nuissance because all my preset dim macros become relative dim preset (to the last settings) instead than absolute dim settings. And this also throws off all my complex macros- which include dawn & dusk simulators. BTW, these preset dim & other macros i've created work perfectly with my lm465 module..

Not only that..it appears as though if the switch is in the 'off' position (& last setting was %100)...it is not possible to jump it to %50 (for ex) using AHP (or mini controller) without turning it on completely..then dimming it to %50. Not sure why...weird.

There must be a way to overide this feature on the switch. Otherwise this is a huge oversight..no?

Please help. thanks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 02:23:43 PM by bilyth »

Boiler

Re: WS12a not working for me
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:18:18 PM »

bilyth,

Actually, I did realize this applied to the WS12a - I have seen WS467's and LM465's with the new "features".
Congratulations, you've encountered one of the great foul ups of X10.

The switches themselves are not the problem.  They actually have some very nice and useful features.  The screw up was the fact that X10 did not assign them a new model number and program a new interface within AHP to use the new features.

X10 chose not to do this and, as a result, the existing WS12a interface in AHP doesn't play well with these newer units.

Fortunately, Charles Sullivan found a work around some time back.

Try re-identifying your units as LM14a (2-way) Lamp modules.  These units use the extended code "direct dim" protocol to directly set the lamp level.  This should get you around the unit remembering it's last dim level.

When using this in a macro, you may need to program a level of 99% rather than 100%.  If I remember correctly, AHP will send a simple "ON" command for a macro bright level of 100%.  The on command would cause you switch to return to the last dim level.  By programming a 99% level (with the LM14a interface) AHP should send the extended code "direct dim 99%" command causing the switch to go directly to that level.

If this works (If these units are like the WS467's it should) you'll learn to love the speed and reliability of the direct dim commands.  I have the same features on my Leviton switches (at 2x the price) and I love them.

I'm on the road at the moment and can't verify the above - give it a try and get back with us.

Boiler

bilyth

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:18:51 AM »

hey boiler,

yeah thanks, awesome that seems to make things work. Wow, before changing the type..i couldn't get it to do anything right...now it seems to go directly to the right dim level.

I'll play with it a bit more...i'm not sure if i need to change my %100 to %99 yet..i believe there's an option in preferences-macros to make on vs %100. is this related? i don't quite understand this option but i was once told to "check" it.

This workaround definitely helps..i still wish there was a way to "control" this feature better. Ie, i wish i could get it to remember a certain dim level ONLY when i turn the switch on physically..despite what the last macro did. 'Cause right now, i may use a macro that leaves the dim to %20...& next time i enter to turn lights on- it's super dim!

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:54:24 AM »

I'll play with it a bit more...i'm not sure if i need to change my %100 to %99 yet..i believe there's an option in preferences-macros to make on vs %100. is this related? i don't quite understand this option but i was once told to "check" it.

I agree with having the option checked for 99% of the applications.  With this option unchecked, a macro will send out a series of "bright" commands to achieve a 100% level.  This takes 10-12 commands (can't remember) and consumes over 5 seconds.

When you check the option, AHP sends a simple "on" command in place of the many "bright" commands.  Unfortunately, when your "new" units receive an on command, I believe they will return to the last dim level.  Sending the 99% on with the LM14a will force a "direct dim" command and the switch will respond regardless of it's previous setting.

This workaround definitely helps..i still wish there was a way to "control" this feature better. Ie, i wish i could get it to remember a certain dim level ONLY when i turn the switch on physically..despite what the last macro did. 'Cause right now, i may use a macro that leaves the dim to %20...& next time i enter to turn lights on- it's super dim!

Sorry, I haven't encountered that one.  Most of my Leviton switches are in hallways where I use motion sensors and macros to activate them (we never manually turn the switches on).  I'll have a look when I get back home.

My thanks go out to Charles Sullivan who did the baseline work on to determine how these "new units" function .  I'm simply parroting his words.

Boiler

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:46:20 AM »

X10Pro has also gone with the Soft Start features. I recently looked at their Users Manuals Area and many are now marked "NEW Soft Start Model"  Again looked like the same part number as before.

bilyth

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »

Now with the label change..i'm not complaining anymore. all the macros are running perfectly.

The thing with not have it remember the dim while at the switch would be a nice option to have. it would be nice just to have an on/off button with a slider switch...then you just set the slider to the dim you want it to remember.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.