Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pendant/Big Red Repeater/Amplifier for Personal Assistance Security System  (Read 15358 times)

sanfordwhite

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Greetings, all!

I am installing a Personal Assistance Security System for my 93-year-old Mother (system dials the Orca Monitoring System) and need to find a repeater that will amplify the signal from the wireless call pendant beyond its 50-100 foot range. I need to install the repeater/amplifier inside a stairwell near her apartment.   The good folk at X-10 indicate that they ONCE sold such a accessory, but no longer do so.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I might be able to purchase a unit, either a branded X-10 or Radio Shack model or a third-party unit?  I need to take action within the next 8 business days.

Thank you, in advance, for whatever guidance you can offer!

SDW

PS  This Personal Security System is fantastic!  I have one installed in my Mother-in-Law's condo and had the same unit at my Mom's place until she moved into an Independent Living establishment.  Orca, as the monitoring service, has really talented and caring personnel who are there for my aging parents 24/7.  At less than $20 per month, how can you go wrong.  I believe that X-10 is now selling the entire monitoring package for $50.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

Smarthome sells a repeater: 200 Series Wireless Repeater WRP600
You may have to contact them to see if it will work with your unit, If not they may have the unit you need!
If you know the name modle number of the repeater you need you could check out e-bay! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

sanfordwhite

Thanks, Tuicemen, for your quick reply!  Checked with Smarthome - the Visonic XRP600 repeater doesn't work with my Model PA9200 X-10 Powerhouse Personal Assistance Security System...  They didn't know what would work and they suggested that I go back to X-10.  Oh, well!
SDW

Tuicemen

• Administrator

You might also check Automatedoutlet since they sell x10 systems they may have a repeater or know the model number for it which would help track down a unit for you on e-bay or X10 may have one sitting in a warehouse!
The problem is most of the customer service reps at X10 are new and unfamiliar with the products. If you have the model number I'm sure one could be found!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator

Ok found the repeater X10 staff was referring to it is called the Smart RF Repeater
model number : SR731
E-bay has a number of these listed at $49 if you need it yesterday current bids seem to be $9  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28

Ok found the repeater X10 staff was referring to it is called the Smart RF Repeater
model number : SR731
E-bay has a number of these listed at $49 if you need it yesterday current bids seem to be $9  ;)

Just to mention, there are two versions of the SR731, and like many times with X10, they is no P/N or other marking to indicate which.

One supported a "daisy chain", the other a "star" configuration.  Another more minor difference is that one sends an "A1 On" when the test button is pressed, the other "M1 On".
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:46:36 PM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member

I need to install the repeater/amplifier inside a stairwell near her apartment. 

OK, you piqued my curiosity.  Why inside a stairwell which is only near the apartment?  I was wondering of the possibility to explore different locations.  What are the options, or limitations, for the placement of the receiver?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

sanfordwhite

Well, folks, SUCCESS in finding something, thanks to this forum!

http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/x10propssmrf.html

It is the item that X-10 no longer carries - the Smart RF Repeater.  Should arrive in about 1 week and I will then know if it works.

My situation - my Mother opts to use the staircase vs. an elevator to go from her 2nd floor apartment to the first floor.  I am installing the X-10 ORCA security system in her apartment but I know that the range from the wireless pendant to the X-10 console limits signals from the staircase.  Hopefully, this repeater will solve my problem.

I will let everyone know.

Thanks, again, X-10 Forum!
SDW

sanfordwhite

Sorry, folks - ordered from Electric Supply.  Got confirmation.  Three days later called to get status report. 

"We're out of stock.  We ordered - 1-2 weeks." 

Ordered from whom?  X-10? 

"Yes, 1-2 weeks, sir."

But they stopped making that unit years ago. 

"OK, then. we'll cancel your order and we won't charge you a cancellation fee!!"

Geeze!

Back to square 1.  May not be able to order and install the unit if it does not get shipped in 3 days...I am only going to be in the area until next week!

SDW

sanfordwhite

Because of our great Administrator, Tuicemen, I went to the Automated Outlet that was an alternate supplier.  They had 3 of them in stock at $48 each.  NO SHIPPING. 

Got one, under the wire, just before UPS picked up their day's shipments.  People at Automated were great to deal with!!!

Follow-up regarding how it works after next weekend's installation.

SDW

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Yes A.O.  #:) Has always done what was needed for me also.

sanfordwhite

Following up after installation attempt...

Hooked up security console - PA9200 and it worked fine.  Hooked up new RF repeater and it seemed to come to life.  The signal from the wireless pendent from the security system was actually picked up by the new RF repeater.  Great so far!  BUT - the repeater was unable to 'talk' to the security console!  I tried several approaches but, alas, the console did not pick up the signal from the RF repeater, even when in close proximity.

Back to the drawing boards!

SDW

Tuicemen

• Administrator

I tried several approaches but, alas, the console did not pick up the signal from the RF repeater, even when in close proximity.

I don't have one of these repeaters but from what I understand it simply repeats the signals!
Have you configured the pendant with the console (PA9200)?
Having the repeater close to the console would mean the pendant would also have to be closer so the console should have picked up the signal from the pendant at least! :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member

I don't have one of these repeaters but from what I understand it simply repeats the signals!

I have two of these, and it doesn't seem to simply repeat the RF signals.  It somehow "tags" them with its ID (one of four; A, B, C, or D).   That's why one is limited to four, and how they manage to not repeat themselves.

While my repeaters have no problem with a "real" transceiver, nor with my CM14a, they don't work at all with my CM15a.   Again, I believe that is because the CM15a can't successfully deal with the additional ID added onto the RF signals (and therefore completely ignores it as invalid).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.