Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coming back to X10  (Read 2529 times)

silverton38

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Coming back to X10
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:55:21 AM »

I have been playing with x10 since the 80s. I came in to some money so in 2001 I put in a Lutron system in my new home as it was built. It is a low voltage home automation system. I never liked the look and feel but always worked without problems.

Now I am down sizing my home but want all of the features I am used too. The house I am purchasing has a basic X10 system for the outside lights. I decided to go crazy buying lots of X10 stuff and automate the new home without any professionals. I take possession of the home on July 4 (not a holiday in Canada).

If my memory serves me correctly; I will need a good coupler/amplifier to really make sure everything works. Does anyone have any suggestions; I noticed that X10.com does not sell one. I have also run in to Insteon which is much more expensive. Does anyone have any opinion of that technology?

zach1234

Re: Coming back to X10
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:07:14 AM »

:'try ebay they have some for 1.00 (cupler).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Coming back to X10
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »

If my memory serves me correctly; I will need a good coupler/amplifier to really make sure everything works. Does anyone have any suggestions; I noticed that X10.com does not sell one. I have also run in to Insteon which is much more expensive. Does anyone have any opinion of that technology?

My 2 cents.

Insteon, Z-Wave, UPB, etc. are all competing to be the next standard in home control and automation. I think it will be a while before the consumer has picked the winner. I am sticking with X10 in simple fear that if I upgrade to new standard now, I will end up picking a Betamax instead of VHS, or a HD instead of BlueRay.

If you go with X10, yes I think an amplifier is a needed investment. X10 Pro does offer an amp/repeater and passive couplers. I wouldn't even bother with passive, even though less expensive. I also would not bother with the X10 amp/repeater (XPCR) as it does not handle DIM/BRI commands very well.

I have an ACT CR234 which is an absolutely excellent unit with very high output and can be programmed for options and system parameters that the average Joe Automation will never use, hence is pricey. Although I do not yet have one, I think Jeff Volps XTB II is about the best amp coupler around. It has very high output which reduces the powerline noise problems, perhaps eliminating the need for filters. (I still need a filter on the microwave, even with the ACT's high output). End of rant.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.