Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Socket Rockets......go bad??  (Read 5012 times)

idbl_fanatic

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Socket Rockets......go bad??
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »

Do these ever go bad?? I have one that just stopped working, or works now and then, is this common?

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Socket Rockets......go bad??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:18:55 AM »

Although it is not common that they go bad, like anything they could fail. It has been reported here that when used with incandescent light bulbs and the bulb burns out that the current surge has damaged some rendering them useless. I have about a dozen in service for over 2 years without 1 failure. About 2/3 of them are used with CFL's and the rest with incandescent bulbs.

If it is working sometimes you might want to try moving it to a differant location (for testing) to see if that helps. You could have a noise problem or phase problem that is blocking the PLC signal.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:41:19 AM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »

Yes if it is stuck on. Many times after a bulb burns out. The module was damaged by surge from the bulb failing. I have had a few go that way myself.

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »

it is controlling LED strips under a cabinet, it has been working perfectly for about 2 months, and not nothing, I tried another one in the same location and it didn't work either. It's kinda strange..............this location didn't work, and neither did my porch lights, then I installed a phase coupler and everything worked fine, now everything works fine except this one socket rocket for the LED's, well this location.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

Have you added anything new to the home? Even things like a new cell phone charger. Many new electronic items make noise or have filters in them that absorb X10 signals.

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »

Have you added anything new to the home? Even things like a new cell phone charger. Many new electronic items make noise or have filters in them that absorb X10 signals.

Ya know, I was trying to think, and there is nothing that I can think of that I have added.................oh wait..........I do have a nintendo wii charger that I just plugged in the other night to charge my controllers, and I haven't unplugged it. on that same wall too. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I'll have to check that out.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »

...I was trying to think, and there is nothing that I can think of that I have added.................oh wait..........I do have a nintendo wii charger that I just plugged in the other night...
It's the little things like that that we tend to forget. I have a filter that I plug my laptop into because I discovered that it was interfering with my X10 signal. I also have a charging station where I charge batteries including my phone. It consists of an outlet strip plugged into an X10 filter.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

idbl_fanatic

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »

...I was trying to think, and there is nothing that I can think of that I have added.................oh wait..........I do have a nintendo wii charger that I just plugged in the other night...
It's the little things like that that we tend to forget. I have a filter that I plug my laptop into because I discovered that it was interfering with my X10 signal. I also have a charging station where I charge batteries including my phone. It consists of an outlet strip plugged into an X10 filter.

Well I unplugged it, and it worked fine last night so we'll see if it keeps working, thanks for the help!!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »

Sounds like a couple of plug-in noise filters would be a good investment to any X10 system.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
True or False?
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 02:25:58 PM »

Socket Rockets need a stronger & cleaner signal than lamp module do?
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »

Sounds like a couple of plug-in noise filters would be a good investment to any X10 system.
For my setup it sure is. I have 7 or so UPS units to protect computers, the entertainment areas, phones, and even the fish tank. Since UPS backups can suck the X10 signal, each of those is plugged into a 10A noise filter.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:46:01 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: True or False?
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 04:16:10 PM »

Socket Rockets need a stronger & cleaner signal than lamp module do?

Not that I know of. I have Socket Rockets in my attic closets and basement overhead lights. I have a WS4777 in the Laundry Room for the overhead light and a Socket Rocket for the light over the washer and the stationary tubs.

AHP has no problem addressing all of them.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.