Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Eye not being heard  (Read 9733 times)

raccah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Active Eye not being heard
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »

Hello,

I have a CM15A just inside the house and a pair of Active Eye sensors outside the house, and it does not work!!  I try the active Eye inside and it triggers the CM15A and my lights go on.  But when I go outside - no joy!

The outside of my house is made of stucco - is that the problem?  If it is what else can I do to make it work?

Please help!!

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Active Eye not being heard
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:50:51 PM »

The CM15A is not known for good RF reception and the sensors maybe not getting through the walls well.
You could try getting a piece of maybe #22 wire and wrap a few turns around the top of the CM15As antenna extending it maybe an extra 9" to 12" and see if that helps. There are modifications for the CM15A antennas but many require things that void warranty. The wrapped wire around the plastic piece is easily removed as it has to make no physical connection to anything.

Tony Olson

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »

I tried the addition of the wire to my CM15A antenna and realized a great improvement in range with my sensors outside. Of course noise filters et al improve range and reception also  -:)

Tony

raccah

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »

Cool.  How does a noise filter affect the reception?  Heck the active eye is right behind the CM15A - the only thing that separates them is the stucco wall.  But I will try the extra wire on the antenna.  Also, what about the Smart RF Repeater (SR731)?  It has been discontinued, but would it improve things as well?

zach1234

Active Eye Signal to Interface is weak
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »

RF REPEATER = GOOD.

I use one on every installation even if the owner doesn't want one (I pay for it) its worth the 60.00. http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-Smart-RF-Repeater-Extender-SR731-PSX01_W0QQitemZ110263693989QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110263693989&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I would place it RIGHT NEXT to the Active home Pro interface.

When I do a install, I put everything (interface, phone responder, rf repeater) on the wall in a closet.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »

seems to me that the best place for a repeater would be somewhere between the CM15 and where the signal drops out. more bang for the buck that way.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

zach1234

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:06:52 PM »

Not Necessary if the pick up range is bad and the transmitting device is Strong. If the RF repeater grabs it and slaps it at the interface it gets there. If you have it to centered it doubles so the alarm gets two disarms ETC. Get what I am saying? Its like placing a speaker for a concert you place it near where the people are not back stage.

raccah

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »

Thanks so MUCH guys.  Too many times you guys give good answers and the benefactor does not respond in kind.  So THANKS for helping me out.  Works like a charm now.  I took some heavy gauge wire I had around.  Wrapped it around the plastic antenna and now the eyes can be heard.

Much obliged!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.