Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Tuicemen's Place (city residence)  (Read 109014 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Tuicemen's Place (city residence)
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »

I'm very impressed with my current home automation setup.  I use Amazon Alexa exclusively now though both Corona and Google are still configured.
My HomeGenie sever on a pi handles all my current needs and I'm finding it harder to imagine other possible things to add. In fact being retired I've actually removed some automation (timers & macros). My pc still runs 24/7 but handles no automation  ::) :' so not sure why I leave it on. I do use the PC for surfing, forum posting and viewing HG. However I find myself doing less of this more each day from my phone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:26:38 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2020, 07:32:17 AM »

Severe weather Alerts have always been part of my HA setup (more so at my off grid place). These can trigger many things though in the city I use them more in the winter for anti freezing routines. Today I read about having Alexa warn me of severe weather so I just had to get her involved rofl.
To enable the feature say "Alexa warn me of severe weather" do this to each device you wish to hear the warnings announced from. She will reply with "ok I'll warn you of severe weather in (Your city name)" and tell you how to disable the feature
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2020, 09:21:22 AM »

…. Today I read about having Alexa warn me of severe weather so I just had to get her involved …..

Alexa.... reminds me of my grandchildren. Clever, and cute, and growing up almost overnight. I never know what to expect next. Amazon's Alexa programing is top-notch, world-class, technically and creatively the best-of-the-best. Alexa is going to be.... a very impressive lady when she grows-up.

I won't put all my [automation] eggs in just one [collective brand] basket. I think of my setup more as several independent setups... integrated by the Amazon Alexa app. And more and more.... Alexa has (also) been my go-to for my home automation. 

Of course... Amazon (Jeff Bezos) has made billions off this home automation tech. And many... will find the job/wealth producing profits... to be unacceptable and scary. But isn't that the way it always works? 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:27:58 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2021, 06:27:40 PM »

I won't put all my [automation] eggs in just one [collective brand] basket. I think of my setup more as several independent setups... integrated by the Amazon Alexa app. And more and more.... Alexa has (also) been my go-to for my home automation. 

I also have several independent setups but not just integrated with Alexa. Google Home is also utilized for most.

I had my Broadlink skill fail to access devices the other day even though the app still worked ::) :'. Disabling the skill then reenabling it fixed the issue (never had it setup with Google  :-[ ), however this type of thing shouldn't happen.
 I've been playing with a few ESP8266 wi-fi modules and have flashed one so it acts as a multi Wemo device which can be controlled via Alexa. I've added my X10 devices to it giving them alternate names then what Alexa already sees. This can also send IR so it can act as a back up to the Broadlink. Another egg in the basket. rofl

This week we got a new HVAC system installed and it came with a Ecobee wi-fi thermostat. I quickly set it up for Alexa and Google as well as the app on my phone. I checked out the web UI and also started to look into the developers API. I don't plan on doing much with the API just yet other then displaying temperature and humidity values in HG which a esp8266 module already does for my computer room.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2021, 11:35:33 PM »

I also have several independent setups but not just integrated with Alexa. Google Home is also utilized for most.

I've always meant to integrate a Google device into my set-up.... but just haven't yet. I don't know why.

My setup now grows... organically. So many products come already setup to integrate in what we have called a "smart home" for many years now. Although I still have just a handful of lights and devices that actually require a user to flip-a-switch, push a remote button, or activate through a phone app.

My iphone... along with my Amazon Alex app and enabled earbuds... was the last HUGE addition to my setup. I think... for me... this was my 1st step towards a symbolic collective Borg hive. And I like it. Home functions, phone calls, intercom, and entertainment are with me... where ever I choose to go. The smart "home".... has outgrown the home.

I can't even imagine the next phase of automation.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:38:45 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2021, 08:08:43 AM »

I've always meant to integrate a Google device into my set-up.... but just haven't yet. I don't know why.

I realy only have one Google home device. Although I have much of my smart home intergrated with it I rarely use it that way. When I originaly got it I compared it to Amazon Alexa devices and decided to stick with Alexa mainly for the wake word. Google realy out performed Alexa in the Kitchen for recipes so that's where it stayed.
 I suspect Alexa has improved in this area some what.

I picked up a wifi Instant Pot for my wife for Christmas. Hoping that it being a SmartHome device it would ease here fears of using a pressure cooker. The recipes available for it are unbelievable. The microwave use to be her favorite  appliance untill now.  rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2021, 08:46:12 AM »

...  I picked up a wifi Instant Pot for my wife for Christmas. Hoping that it being a SmartHome device it would ease here fears of using a pressure cooker.

The little 4 and 5 year old granddaughters accepted Alexa as just part of their normal world... and they brought the wife along with them. Your WiFi Instance Pot is a perfect example of organic automation. Automation that just happens naturally without a real decision or effort to automate.

I won't go into the old days of AHP (with a running Win98 PC) and an appliance module operating a Mr. Coffee. Now-a-days.... more and more my automation projects are merely the procurement of new/replacement device as needed. I hadn't even realized my smart TV was as automated as it is... until after I hung it on my wall.

Reading the "What's new with Alexa" emails seems to be enough to keep me in the loop and busy up grading.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »

I have been using multi ways to intergrate my X10 automation into Google and Alexa as some things would on ocassion fail resulting in Alexa or Google say the device isn't responding or some failed notification.
Recently I found a skill that I've intergrated into my setup and so far it has been rock solid every thing turns on/off/Dims as I command. :)% I can even use another that will return a custom responce like the Alexa routines will only this also will return a value. For example I can ask what the temperature of my PI CPU is and alexa or Google will tell me the reading. How cool is that?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2022, 01:38:43 PM »

...For example I can ask what the temperature of my PI CPU is and alexa or Google will tell me the reading. How cool is that?
Depends on what she reports!  rofl rofl #:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2022, 02:48:41 PM »

rofl ya guess if the report back was over 60 Celsius  I could have a problem.
I also have a call I can make to find the Temperature and Humidity in the room my pi is with a DHT-22 sensor.
I've just started to play with that skill so I'm not sure how reliable the calls will work for it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2022, 10:09:18 PM »

Several of my YoLink device "reads" the temperature..... but the only way I can "view" it is with my phone. And I can't do anything else with the information.

However... YoLink does make a device:  YoLink Smart Wireless Temperature & Humidity Sensor, Wide Temp Range (-22 to 158 Degree) for Freezer, Fridge, Green House, Pet Cage Monitoring, Smartphone Alerts, Works w/Alexa IFTTT -Hub Required

I am thinking of adding it to my setup with the idea of freeze protection (voice and phone alerts).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2022, 06:19:59 AM »

I can view temperature of my pi and the sensors via HomeGenie on my phone but now Alexa or Google will tell me that. I have a skill also for my wifi home thermostat but that doesn't tell me the Temperature where my pi is located. The DHT sensor isn't  the most accurate but it is close and cost pennies. Took 2 mins to hook up but 30 mins to work out the code. Now that the code is worked out it shouldn't  take more then 5 mins to add to another pi.
I played with adding a DHT sensor to a esp chip last year with success but I turned it into a wemo alexa hub for x10
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2022, 01:00:41 PM »

I am surprised at how much I like the phone notifications. Even if I am mowing the yard (and because of mower noise, completely out of contact) the alerts remain there on the phone for me to see (when I eventually do pick the phone up).

sniickers

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2022, 12:55:50 PM »

Hey Tuicemen! Its been a while. Is SmartCloud no longer supported? I recently requested several Google home commands and ACtive home is not receiving them. Smartthings is showing my devices are online. But somewhere there is a disconnect. Thanks for any help.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2022, 02:54:25 PM »

I haven't  used Smartcloud since I stopped using a PC for my Home automation. You might wish to look at the multi OS compatible skill "TriggerCMD Smarthome" for Alexa and or Google voice control. As long as your not making more the one call per min or running more then one computer it is free. This has been working flawless for me since I started using it. It will intergrate with SmartThings as well but I've had no need to use smartthings since switching from using a PC.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.