Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) (Visual BASIC version)  (Read 352257 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) (Visual BASIC version)
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »

.... the door can be paused in the middle of opening where it would stop part way up.  .................
  I figure for the 10 bucks for the module and being able to recycle another reed switch and magnet, that is a cheap fix to the issue.

I see your point. I placed my reed switch and magnet at the top of the door... so it sees the closed position. My door would need to break... to pause in mid-travel... which of course could happen. I guess I never planned for that event.

However... my setup records (and announces) closed... then assumes that not closed... means open (and announces that also). Then if it remains open/not closed it re-announces that every 10 minutes. Whereas stuck halfway up isn't open... I would be notified.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:40:34 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »

My door would need to break... to pause in mid-travel... which of course could happen. I guess I never planned for that event.

My door opener is set so that if it is going down and the button is hit, car remote is pushed or my UM is triggered, the door will reverse and come back to full open.  But if the door is coming up and it is triggered again, the door will stop in mid position.  For this reason, I want to set a pause at the end of the open macro and check to see if it is full open.  If not at full open, it will issue 2 more door triggers 3 seconds apart to cause the door to try opening fully.  This is because after an open trigger, another trigger will reverse the door to closing, and another one would start it opening again.  Conversely, on the close macro, I want it to pause and check that it reaches full closed. 

If something is in the way of the sensor eye at the bottom of the door, it will move slightly and then reverse again.  This setup will let me set BVC to tell me that something is in the way of the door sensor.

My current powerflash sensor is at the top and can tell me that the door is open, or is closing.  But I want the full boat automation baby.  >!

Dan
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2010, 12:10:51 AM »

........... I want the full boat automation baby.  >!

Cool.

HA Dave

« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »

I just posted over at Bill's forum. It seems although there is less posts about BVC here.. posts at Bill's forum have increased. But this was too cool not to mention here as well. I found a post at cocoontech that explains how to get Vista's really nice Anna voice... on to an XP PC.

Read more here.

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »

Thanks Dave.

Will give this a shot.

r,
eagle

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2010, 02:42:57 AM »

*** BVC Version 0.2.1.0 update released! ***
Version 0.2.1.0:

Obvious user enhancements:
  • Added the option to Listeners and Custom Commands to make BVC Speak text from a text file.
  • Added the option to Listeners and Custom Commands to make BVC Speak text from a randomly selected text file in a selected folder.
  • Added the option to Listeners and Custom Commands to make BVC Play a randomly selected audio file in a selected folder.
  • Added a feature in the Help menu to locate the current paths to BVC folders and to open those folders in Windows Explorer.

Not-so-obvious internal enhancements:
    The usual automatic and transparent conversion of the previous version's user settings to the current format.

Get the update in the usual place at:  http://www.wgjohns.com/bvc.htm
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

GMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »

Couldn't decide, here or BVC Forum. Just compelled to chime in and give another THANK YOU to Bill. I love this program. I am having a blast!

Also, wanted to share some things. Not very exciting but maybe of help to current BVC users and or future users.

I did the 'modded Baby Monitor'.  Thank you Dave!  In the beginning all was well but it started seeming I had to be fairly close to the mic ( less than about 6ft.) for 'Anna' (sounds like a maids name :P) to catch my voice. I decided to investigate. I got the notion to open up the hole in front of the mic in the case to see if that might help. Upon opening the transmitter I found the mic hot glued somewhat crooked in it's cavity.
So, I CAREFULLY fixed that and just slightly opened up that hole. Did it help?  Maybe..kind'a ..sort'a  My observation right now is I can't get enough volume to the PC. Always showing 'Too Quiet '. Volume adjust on Baby Monitor is at about 3/4. Also think'n the sound card in the machine is el cheapo. Still, it works. I'll keep at it.

Reading Dave's story about how he got the Baby Monitor mod idea has...um...well, got me just a pinch paranoid that others can or could also hear when Anna and I chat.

I found this, but not being thoroughly electro savvy I cannot find an answer to the receiver end of things. I found where to get the Crystal and I do OK at soldering.   (anyone who reads this and can help, it would be appreciated)

http://72.52.208.92/~gbpprorg/mil/baby_bug/index.html

Although being a decent chunk'o change for me and then modifying it, I'm considering this in the next weeks. Mostly to avoid the whole powerline/phase conflict. After checking out the user manual, I'll bet one could convert one of the 'in' ports to an out.  And as my son and I would say  " It would be just randy"   Tweaked Austin Powers quote.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2464775&cp=&pg=1&sr=1&origkw=intercom&kw=intercom&parentPage=search

Gary

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:28:26 PM by GMAN »

HA Dave

« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2010, 06:04:42 PM »

Couldn't decide, here or BVC Forum. Just compelled to chime in and give another THANK YOU to Bill. I love this program. I am having a blast!

Welcome to what is becoming an army of BVC users. It is a great program!

I did the 'modded Baby Monitor'.  Thank you Dave!  In the beginning all was well but it started seeming I had to be fairly close to the mic ( less than about 6ft.) for 'Anna' (sounds like a maids name :P) to catch my voice. ....................
.......... My observation right now is I can't get enough volume to the PC. Always showing 'too soft'. Volume adjust on Baby Monitor is at about 3/4. Also think'n the sound card in the machine is el cheapo. Still, it works. I'll keep at it.

First... make sure your mini jack (from the baby monitors receiver) is plugged into the computer [sound cards] Line-in (never the microphone jack). I barely have any volume on my monitor at all.... I have fought with too much volume. You may be able to correct the PC's internal setting by running a "microphone setup". In BVC click on tools and select "set up microphone". Have your monitors volume setting turned down.

But... I had always planned on converting over to intercoms. Although I still use the baby monitors myself... I am a big fan of the intercoms.

Reading Dave's story about how he got the Baby Monitor mod idea has...um...well, got me just a pinch paranoid that others can or could also hear when Anna and I chat.

Even paranoid people have neighbors. I did some testing with mine... and mine and it just didn't have the range needed for the neighbors to listen in.

GMAN

« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »

I did some testing with mine... and mine and it just didn't have the range needed for the neighbors to listen

Thanks for the reassuring words on my paranoia.  I might just buy another Baby Monitor set and do a range test myself just to set that to rest.
I followed your instruction(s) super carefull, I bought the exact Baby Monitor set, and the correct cabling, but could I have still boo-bood the modification some how, and that's what is causing the lack of volume? Right now, the modded receiver adjust is at 3/4 and the 'Line In' on PC is at roughly 3/4 volume. It's working, maybe I should just let it be.

I will check the setup... again, and re-run the microphone setup.......again.   Can't say enough -  Wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'm hooked.

G.

HA Dave

« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »

...... Wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'm hooked.

I know that look they give us.... and I know the feeling.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »

One of my paranoias with using the baby monitor mod has always been that others could hear.  Now I'm not trying to increase your paranoia or anything, but I feel I need to add $.02 here.  When using a baby monitor to transmit your voice to your computer, do realize that you are continually broadcasting your voice out in the air.  Anyone that has another baby monitor or police scanner tuned to the right frequency can hear what is going on.  Not only when you chat with Anna, but everything that goes on in the room.  Even though the signal may be a bit quiet for the computer, all the other person on the other end has to do is turn their volume up to hear you better.  Baby monitors are designed to be very sensitive to noise in the room and can pick up the slightest whisper. 

Like I say, My intention is not to increase anyone's paranoia, but just to make you aware that others could be listening.  A friend of mine years ago had a programmable police scanner and used to punch in the baby monitor and cordless phone frequency ranges and just drive around the neighborhood.  At times you could hear some interesting stuff.  Now days cordless phones have added a little more security to their radio transmissions making it slightly harder for people to listen in, but I can't imagine there is too much security on a transmission from a twenty dollar baby monitor.

I still think though that Dave_X10_L's baby monitor solution is an ingenious cheap solution to a problem.

For what my two cents is worth.

Dan Bemowski
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »

......... A friend of mine years ago had a programmable police scanner and used to punch in the baby monitor and cordless phone frequency ranges and just drive around the neighborhood.  At times you could hear some interesting stuff

It's true... there are some sick puppies out there! Hopefully your friend received some help with his problems before it progressed to greater crimes. Contrary to some peoples believes... these types of crimes (and the people that commit them) aren't common. I am sure you counseled your friend in an effort to correct/help him. If someone (like your old friend) wants to listen in on you tonight a more relieable way would be to buy or make a Parabolic Microphone.

Millions... of Baby Monitors will be used tonight. Most Baby Monitors are left on 24/7. Whereas reasonable concern should be used in all matters involving security and privacy... Baby Monitors would not normally rate high on any list of risk assessment.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:01:23 PM by Dave_x10_L »

GMAN

« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:07 PM »

I understand.....I will look on the bright side. My hood here has become predominantly.... :'(... lets just say I don't speak Spanish to BVC, so I have minor built in security?

HA Dave

« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »

I also must admit... I have my baby monitors on X10 modules so the can be switched (on or off from one to the other). I have a follow me command/macro (the follow me macro was actually Bills idea). So I can say "follow me to the office" and the upstairs microphone [monitor] turns off and the office one turns on.

Since I don't have a need to command lights and other devices 24/7... I don't run the microphone (or receiver) 24/7. And if I was meet with friends in my living room to plan world domination... I might concider turning the mics off.

As you may know... I have been working on my setup with Occupancy Sensing and S.A.R.A. in mind. It is my hope that I can "teach" [program?] the HA PC to know when to ask questions and listen for directions. This is all trial and error... living with something for a while... and seeing how it works out.

An example would be: It is easier to hear BVC's [Kate] voice speak.. when my TV is muted.. so I can.
  • Setup my BVC to listen [microphone ON] when I mute my TV.
  • Or I could setup the TV to mute... when I speak BVC's attention phrase.
  • Or I could do nether... and make both functions manually controlled via my Icon remote.

Other options and choices can be just as perplexing. THE FUN NEVER ENDS!!!

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »

Millions... of Baby Monitors will be used tonight. Most Baby Monitors are left on 24/7. Whereas reasonable concern should be used in all matters involving security and privacy... Baby Monitors would not normally rate high on any list of risk assessment.

We had our monitors on 24/7 for maybe 8 years.
If the neighbors ever heard us arguing, they were polite enough to keep it to themselves...    ;D
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.