Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Eye Motion Sensor  (Read 12086 times)

cyclonex10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Eagle Eye Motion Sensor
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »

I am trying to get an Eagle Eye Motion detector in a location that will get me a consistant activation of my camera and vcr commander unit. I did not want to drill into my brick work to mount the sensor so I got one of those round rubber coated door magnets that you use at Christmas time. Then screwed 3/8 inch square piece of wood to it, then screwed the sensor to the wood. Now I can mount it to my glass storm door. I have read that the sensor does not detect well when walking striaght at it, but I have no other option.  So has anyone had success with sensor mounted where people are walking straight at it. Does rotating the sensor 90 degrees to the left or right or 180 degrees help with detection? Any suggestions? Thanks for your response in advance.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Eagle Eye Motion Sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:18:26 AM »

I am trying to get an Eagle Eye Motion detector in a location that will get me a consistant activation of my camera and vcr commander unit.

The most comman detection problem I associate with the motion sensor is it's short RF range. The lack of range makes it harder get the detection signal to your transceiver. Using a signal repeater.... or a transceiver mounted closer to the Eagle/Active Eye(s) is offtend very helpful for camera activation. However.... the VCR commander can ONLY be activated by RF signals.... so it may need to be moved closer to the motion sensor.

........... I got one of those round rubber coated door magnets that you use at Christmas time. Then screwed 3/8 inch square piece of wood to it, then screwed the sensor to the wood. Now I can mount it to my glass storm door.

Interesting! I haven't ever heard of that method! I have used Velcro to attach/hang the sensors myself.

I have read that the sensor does not detect well when walking straight at it, but I have no other option.  So has anyone had success with sensor mounted where people are walking straight at it. Does rotating the sensor ............ help with detection?

I have read of even mounting the ****Eye sensors upside-down at windows to detect potential intrusion.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »

Cyclonex10, I have an eagle eye mounted straight at a back privacy gate (approx. 7' from ground above window), as soon as you enter (1 sec delay) it turns on lights at gate dusk-dawn and takes snapshot.  Works 99% of the time, the 1% I blame on CM15 not getting/sending signals.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »

The detector is "most" sensitive to heat moving perpendicular to the unit (particularly on warm days), but heat moving towards the unit will be detected most of the time.

Instruction for the motion detector light explains a little better than the xxxxeye instructions.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/pr511-om.pdf

Relative to the normal mounting position: rotating unit 90 degrees will make the detection field more narrow and higher, rotating 180 degrees will raise the detection field.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

cyclonex10

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »

I have been having problem of the camera getting turned off but the VCR continues to record (lines and snow). A repeater will help with the RF signal?

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 12:34:41 AM »

I have been having problem of the camera getting turned off but the VCR continues to record (lines and snow). A repeater will help with the RF signal?

No. The VCR commander turns off automatically (requires no Off signal). It sounds as though you may not have the Off programed correctly. Or your camera (motion sensor timer) may be set to turn off in 3 minutes.... and the VCR commander turns off in 5 (automatically).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:37:07 AM by Dave_x10_L »

cyclonex10

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:04:53 AM »

I doubled checked the sensor, it is setup to detect all motion and with a 8 second delay. The sensor is close to the camera, but the VCR commander and the TM751 transceiver is in the basement. When I checked the sensor for the delay setting, of course that activated the VCR, I watched it and it turned itself off at approx 5 minutes and the camera turn itself off at approx 8 minutes. I have been checking to see if the VCR turns on when I hear the TM751 turn on and it does not always.

I still am getting video of lines because either the camera did not turn on or the VCR did not turn off.  Would it help to move the TM751 closer to the camera and sensor. I know the next step would be to move the vcr commander closer to the camera and sensor but I was wanting to keep them hidden in the basement.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:05:52 AM »

.............Would it help to move the TM751 closer to the camera and sensor. I know the next step would be to move the vcr commander closer to the camera and sensor but I was wanting to keep them hidden in the basement.

You've got it all figured out. But also remember... the motion sensor placement near the camera... is only important as far as motion detection. The camera receives it's PLC from the TM751..... NOT directly from the motion sensor.

Since the VCR Commander is working at least some of the time... try moving it UP higher. I also use my basement for such things and have found that low near the basement floor is my most difficult place to receive RF (X10 or any other RF). Getting the Commander up near the [1st level] floor joists could make all the difference.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:13:46 AM by Dave_x10_L »

cyclonex10

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »

thanks for the reply Dave.

I have moved the TM751 upstairs to the same room as the camera and will move the VCR Commander to the top shelf about a foot higher than it was and in the open as oppose to what it was, surrounded by metal. Testing continues...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.