Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS10A motion detector reliable  (Read 11853 times)

eiii

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
MS10A motion detector reliable
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:23:44 PM »

Hello,
I'm considering purchasing some MS10A motion detectors.  Some previous posts complain they aren't very reliable.  However, those posts seem a year or two old.  Some also mention maybe just bad batch was sold.  Can people let me know how they are working for them with recent orders and any other input?

Also, I live in a hot climate (think 110+ in summer).  Anyone have any comments when running them with the house that can be very warm and/or air conditioner vents blasting cold air on and off throughout the day?

Thanks!

eiii

Re: MS10A motion detector reliable
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »

Any opinions on how the MS10A's are working for you would be appreciated.  Thanks!

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:08:45 AM »

They work great.  However - remember the movie "Sneakers"?  Motion sensors operate on a temperature differential.  Ambient vs. an object.  The object must be warmer than ambient - and the more the difference is, the more sensitive the sensor.  The object can be a "cloud" of hot air.  Don't position the sensor where it will "see" the blast of hot air coming from your heating ducts, and putting it directly above your home theater setup might result in your neighbor calling you at 3:14 am, Christmas morning - being just a tad ticked-off at one of your false alarms.....

And - set the switch to "2" hits to make a trip.

If they pick up critters on the ground, add some masking tape, ½" at a time, to the bottom of the lens.

Most important - search & read here.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »

Hello,
I'm considering purchasing some MS10A motion detectors.  Some previous posts complain they aren't very reliable.  However, those posts seem a year or two old.  Some also mention maybe just bad batch was sold.  Can people let me know how they are working for them with recent orders and any other input?

Also, I live in a hot climate (think 110+ in summer).  Anyone have any comments when running them with the house that can be very warm and/or air conditioner vents blasting cold air on and off throughout the day?

Thanks!

Hi I actually just got two in a package a few days ago one worked fine the other I'm sending back. I would recommend using the two movement mode apposed to the one, with the one there's just to much room for error a draft or sunlight, or a heat source could possibly trigger a false alarm. I actually prefer the Pro version of the MS10a's, PMS01 they just seem more reliable in the 2 movement mode but if you get some good 10a's they should be fine. What I would recommend is that you TEST TEST TEST the motion detectors in the areas to be protected to make sure the 2 movement mode responds to motion like it should, just make sure you let the units settle a few minutes between tests. Hope this helps!

Tom j
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:03:48 PM by tom j »

PrimeGuild

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • Software Solutions
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »

Well, if you ask me, the RF signals are reliable, but not that reliable. I mean, you might not want to connect any critical components to such motion detectors. I have been using these motion sensors for quite a while now, and I have noticed ON/OFF signals being emitted just for no reason. For casual devices (Lamps, etc) its okay but I won't recommend for other critical equipment.

tom j

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »

Well, if you ask me, the RF signals are reliable, but not that reliable. I mean, you might not want to connect any critical components to such motion detectors. I have been using these motion sensors for quite a while now, and I have noticed ON/OFF signals being emitted just for no reason. For casual devices (Lamps, etc) its okay but I won't recommend for other critical equipment.

Hi not sure I understand the MS10a's are actually designed to be used with the x10 security consoles unless you choose to use them with the CM15a and the On Alert software for double duty as a home automation sensor. Also that light you see could quite possibly be the 10a checking into the console it does it numerous times a day it looks just like it detected something but it's actually just checking in I've seen the same thing with the window/door sensors.

tom j

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »

The MS10A where designed for security with AHP (ON Alert) you can use them for other things! as tom j stated
The signal (light blink)that you see is the unit sending an off|closed signal it does this every hour or so to let the DS7000 know it is still working and batteries haven't failed!
I have removed all my eagle eyes and replaced them with these other then a longer delay before my macros executes I have had no problems in fact they have been more reliable!
I only use them in the 1 motion setting and haven't had a problem with that even a cat jumping up on the front porch will trigger a tripped signal but it isn't registered to the DS7000! ::) (haven'tyet tapped off the bottom of the sensor to limit that)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »

The MS10A where designed for security with AHP (ON Alert) you can use them for other things! as tom j stated
The signal (light blink)that you see is the unit sending an off|closed signal it does this every hour or so to let the DS7000 know it is still working and batteries haven't failed!
I have removed all my eagle eyes and replaced them with these other then a longer delay before my macros executes I have had no problems in fact they have been more reliable!
I only use them in the 1 motion setting and haven't had a problem with that even a cat jumping up on the front porch will trigger a tripped signal but it isn't registered to the DS7000! ::) (haven'tyet tapped off the bottom of the sensor to limit that)

Say Tuiceman better explain the part about "tapped off the bottom of the sensor" he might not understand the reasoning.  ;)

tom j

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »

tom j   IT is possible the taping off the lower portion of the sensor may not be clear! ;)
Although there is enough references to  taping off portions of the sensor in the forums my reason would be to not detect the cats! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

eiii

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 05:14:28 PM »

Thanks for all your input.  I got some spending money so ordered some motion detectors.  I'll update everyone with how they work for me in the next couple weeks.  Sorry for the late reply, I ordered PC to TV equipment that I am now very happy with (took some work, but that is another thread).  Now coming back around to upgrading my security.  Thanks for the continued help, support, and input from everyone!

tom j

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

Thanks for all your input.  I got some spending money so ordered some motion detectors.  I'll update everyone with how they work for me in the next couple weeks.  Sorry for the late reply, I ordered PC to TV equipment that I am now very happy with (took some work, but that is another thread).  Now coming back around to upgrading my security.  Thanks for the continued help, support, and input from everyone!

Say eiii just wondering how the motion detectors worked out for you.

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.