Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM17A Fails on new PC, Works on old  (Read 2605 times)

Beaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM17A Fails on new PC, Works on old
« on: August 03, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »

Hey folks!  I've got a problem I've not been able to work through.  Can you help?

Here's the deal.  On my 8 year old Athlon 800 based system, my CM17A works great.  On my new Core 2 Duo based system, it acts dead.  Move it back to the old system, everythings fine again.  I have had an external modem working off the serial port on the new computer for some time, so I know the port works.  What can I do to make this work on the new system?  The modem is no longer connected.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: CM17A Fails on new PC, Works on old
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:31:05 PM »

Hey folks!  I've got a problem I've not been able to work through.  Can you help?

Here's the deal.  On my 8 year old Athlon 800 based system, my CM17A works great.  On my new Core 2 Duo based system, it acts dead.  Move it back to the old system, everythings fine again.  I have had an external modem working off the serial port on the new computer for some time, so I know the port works.  What can I do to make this work on the new system?  The modem is no longer connected.

Some of X10's serial port drivers are known to have problems with some motherboard's built-in serial port chipsets.

Possible suggestions:
1.  Keep the old computer and use it as a dedicated Home Automation PC.
2.  Buy a USB to serial "dongle" and try it with the new PC.
3.  Upgrade to Active Home Pro.  The CM15A is a USB device and doesn't require a serial port connection.

Hope that helps.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.