Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video recording to a webserver.  (Read 6799 times)

aguy189

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Video recording to a webserver.
« on: August 05, 2008, 05:38:11 PM »

Does anyone have a solution for video recording to a webserver?

I assume many people do this, as what's the point of recording to your computer when that's what they're going to steal?

Anyone have a review of how they get the job done, and tips?

Thanks.

jhp7894

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Video recording to a webserver.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »

You can use popular webcam sites to store your video for free, but the quality of the connection may not be as good as running your own server...

http://www.justin.tv/
Will archive your stream for up to 30 days. As long as yours (or their server) connection does not drop (and therefore makes you stop recording). This is going to be one of the nicest ways to have offsite video recording for free. The archives are timed and dated and easy to move through.

http://livecast.com/
Will hold a certain amount of data. The quality is geared more towards a slower connection and the archives are not easy to download.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Video recording to a webserver.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »

Does anyone have a solution for video recording to a webserver?

I have used a IP Video server. A stand alone device that emails me little video clippets when triggered. Such devices (some... not all) can also FTP to a data storage/website. Many new IP cameras can also do the same.

I also use a plain old-fashion VHS Video recorder. DVD recorders and DVR's work well also... and don't forget about Memory card recorders. I use a central area to consolidate my camera feeds... then convert to channel 3... and redistribute camera video to the rest of my home. That allows ALL viewing and recording devices access to the video.... and makes it easy to hide-away a recorder of some sort.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.