Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Curious...possible to go from X-10 RF to IR?  (Read 8902 times)

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Curious...possible to go from X-10 RF to IR?
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »

Hey...was wondering if there was a unit that would convert an X-10 RF command from a slimline switch to a learned IR signal. 

I was thinking this would be a good way for me to change the volume/skip songs/or do some simple commands from a remote location.  Since X-10 rf is a pretty popular protocol and the slimline switches are cheap, then a device that would do this would seemingly come in handy.  Does it exist or are there other options out there to do this? 

Sure I can use this: http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=136
But I would rather save the $500 / location.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Curious...possible to go from X-10 RF to IR?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:57:28 PM »

Hey...was wondering if there was a unit that would convert an X-10 RF command from a slimline switch to a learned IR signal. 

Yes! The newest BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) with IR control can convert and send an IR signal using the USB-UIRT. BVC could even allow you to simply Voice Command an audio/video device for that matter.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:22:08 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

aslamma

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »

No kidding, so I can basically bypass the actual voice commands and just use BVC as a translator?  That would be great!  I am looking forward to trying that out. 

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 09:34:43 PM »

... I can basically bypass the actual voice commands and just use BVC as a translator? 

Yes. BVC is an awesome software. When used in conjuntion with AHP it's use is limited only by our imaginations. The possibilities are endless.

aslamma

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »

So as great as BVC is...one would still need a dedicated computer running 24/7 to accomplish this task.  Is there a device out there that would do this in a more direct manner?

I have to say I am a bit surprised there isn't something out there...whether it be X-10 or not, but the nice thing about X-10 is that the slimswitches are cheap.  All it has to do is translate an RF signal to an infrared signal and have learning capability.  Am I the only who wants to use some common commands such as volume, skip songs, etc with something simple like a slimswitch? 

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »

..............  Am I the only who wants to use some common commands such as volume, skip songs, etc with something simple like a slimswitch? 

Well... if you mean like the only person on the entire planet Earth... Yeah that would be my guess.

aslamma

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 11:53:48 PM »

That is not true because one of my friends wants this exact thing too...granted, it is my imaginary friend.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »

I would guess you could use a standard learning remote.... to program in the codes you would like to trigger/activate. Then hack the buttons you need pressed. The buttons contacts could be closed using universal modules. Assign the modules the codes that correspond to the slim-switches you want to use.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.