Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rf Alternatives to X10  (Read 7869 times)

BoyntonStu

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
rf Alternatives to X10
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »

X10 is no longer viable for me.

X10 works fine but I can no longer buy the needed modules, except at ridiculous prices.

I am looking at rf systems as an alternative to X10 to remotely control house systems.

For example; there are wireless door bells, wireless ac receptacles, etc.

There are cheap multi-channel wireless transmitter/receivers with relays sold on Ebay.

The free rf frequencies are 315 MHZ and 433.8  (434) MHZ.

Do you have any interest in rf home automation?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: rf Alternatives to X10
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »

It might help generate some discussion if you would provide links to the various devices you are exploring.

I, myself, am not especially interested but recently came across just such a system while exploring the PICAXE forum. Here's a link...

While, perhaps not germane to this topic, I find the PICAXE to resemble a PIC after a prefrontal lobotomy.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »

As for me, nope, not interested. I assume you are not including Z wave as a form of RF remote control, but instead the mis mash of various non standardized controls found at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

BoyntonStu

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

It might help generate some discussion if you would provide links to the various devices you are exploring.

I, myself, am not especially interested but recently came across just such a system while exploring the PICAXE forum. Here's a link...

While, perhaps not germane to this topic, I find the PICAXE to resemble a PIC after a prefrontal lobotomy.

Here's an example of a 4 channel system:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-4CH-3000M-Wireless-remote-control-switch-Receiver-and-Transmitter-/280818940310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41621cf996#ht_2917wt_1325

Here is an 8 channel: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-8-Channel-Way-Relay-Output-RF-Remote-Control-Switch-/130545242235?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e651a507b#ht_3517wt_1325

extra remotes are also cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000M-Compact-433MHz-8-Channel-8CH-DC-9V-RF-Wireless-Remote-Control-w-Battery-/160763829053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256e455b3d#ht_2943wt_1325

You do not need to use any transceivers to communicate between the sensor and the receiver.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »

Here's an example of a 4 channel system:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-4CH-3000M-Wireless-remote-control-switch-Receiver-and-Transmitter-/280818940310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41621cf996#ht_2917wt_1325

Which says, "Remote control distance: 3000 meters(Theoretical distance)" and that's about 1000x as much power as the FCC allows.

Radiometrix in the UK has a lot of hardware that might be of interest. They also have some excellent app notes and a page with URLs to regulations for many countries.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:55:57 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

BoyntonStu

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »

Here's a really good possibility that comes with an auto dialer.  Hmmn!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170691123835&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_14225wt_952

1. Item feature and function:

Keep your private area away from danger!!
(1) Do you want to know the situation of your home or company anywhere / anytime?? This item can help you! If there is any stranger breaks into its defense area. The system will call you or call 911 automatically; at the same time, its siren will alarm loudly to scare the intruder. And when your neighbors hear the alarm, they might come over to check the situation.
(2) Completely Wireless (Simply plug in the keypad!)
(3) All sensors have a 200 feet range and 400 feet line-of-sight range.
(4) Automatically calls for help without a monthly monitoring fee (Required a phone line).
(5) Advanced Sensor Technology.
2. Applicability Area:
Applies widely to banks, stores, warehouses, offices and home, it has many kinds of protection abilities like anti-theft, anti-robbery, fire prevention, gas leakage protection and most important, emergency calls.
3. Package Including:
1x Keypad/Control Unit
1x Door/Window Sensor
1x Motion Detector
2x Remote Control
1x Wired Siren
1x Telephone Cable
1x English Manual

Price?  Less than $36 shipped!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »

Will this work with the "Smart Meters" (electric and gas) that companies are switching to?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

BoyntonStu

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »

Will this work with the "Smart Meters" (electric and gas) that companies are switching to?

Dunno. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 06:00:23 AM »

Looks like it is all wireless communications except the phone line to dial out an alarm.
Smart meters probably would not effect them.

BoyntonStu

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »

Looks like it is all wireless communications except the phone line to dial out an alarm.
Smart meters probably would not effect them.

I do not understand the question concerning the system and power meters.

Please explain the concerns.

stU

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »

The new smart meters being installed around the country. Use a very strong signal on the power lines to report back to the power company.
Some particular brands effect X10 big time. Some loose all X10 communications some have random modules going on and off.
There are a few threads here on Smart Meters and how they effect X10.
The equipment you where linking to. Looks like it is all wireless so anything on the power lines would most likely not have any effect.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »

Brian, the smart meters can also use ZigBee RF communications instead of the powerline and I don't think we know enough yet to say unequivocally that the ZigBee enabled ones do not interfere with other RF although I would not expect them to case problems. And, we also don't know what RF frequency, power level, etc. are used by this alarm system.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »

Brian, the smart meters can also use ZigBee RF communications instead of the powerline and I don't think we know enough yet to say unequivocally that the ZigBee enabled ones do not interfere with other RF although I would not expect them to case problems. And, we also don't know what RF frequency, power level, etc. are used by this alarm system.
Dave, is ZigBee the underpinnings of Z-Wave, or are they completely unrelated systems/protocols?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »

AFAIK, ZigBee and Z-Wave are completely different protocols. A web search on 'ZigBee Z-Wave' wll turn up a lot of ZigBee vs. Z-Wave links like...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.