Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tivo on 2 TV's without the $5.99 DirecTV charge?  (Read 13015 times)

rcg2322

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Tivo on 2 TV's without the $5.99 DirecTV charge?
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:34:01 AM »

Hello, I came across this on the internet. I am looking to hook up a tv upstairs with DirecTV Tivo on the downstairs tv. Do I understand it correctly that I will be able to watch my Tivo upstairs on that TV. Even though there is no Tivo receiver hooked to it? Will the TV downstairs have to be on to change channels and record programs? Also, I found a a X10 that was regularly $39.99 for $19.99 on a special deal website. Is there a certain model that I will have to have for Tivo? Thanks for any help you can provide.  :) Chris Godfrey

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Tivo on 2 TV's without the $5.99 DirecTV charge?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:42:59 AM »

That device just sends the video to the receiver via 2.4ghz.  The reception going upstairs can be spotty or could be good, depending on your house and if you have any other 2.4 devices going to interfer. 
  So just think of it as broadcasting it.  The TV itself wouldn't need to be on, since the cable signal is inputed before going to the TV.  Everything will still have to be controlled from the downstairs Tivo.  Unless you got a power mid which repeats the rf signal from remote.  You "might" be able to control the tivo from upstairs.

rcg2322

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:31:47 AM »

Hello and thanks for the response. I was just wondering what a power mid is? I am a little slow on this.  :) I live in an apartment and the tv upstairs is right above the one downstairs. Is that going to make it any easier? Thanks for your help. Chris

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:04:47 AM »

Powermid is a sender and receiver set that extends your remote. Basically the you point the remote at the sender and it transmits the remotes commands to the receiver. It sends the remotes code to the device it is aimed at. I believe there is also a cable with a sender on it that can be connected to the receiver and taped to the device being controlled.
I believe the receiver and sendres can be bought separately so you can have more then one in the home.
The Powermid uses 418 MHz so standard X10 310 MHz. RF is not interfering and the NEW RF ICON remote has two transmitters. The X10 310 MHz. and the 418 MHz.

From what I have read it can send to the Powermid receiver directly.
Over the weekend X10 was selling a package deal of the new Icon RF and the PowerMid receiver RE549 and I/R Extender RX569. So it can send directly to the receiver part of the kit.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:43:49 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.