Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Triggering with a toilet seat?  (Read 4189 times)

madmartian

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Triggering with a toilet seat?
« on: August 28, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »

It's almost Halloween and I want to trigger something scary when someone sits on the toilet seat. I can send the signal with a powerflash module, but how do I trigger an ON command when someone sits down on the toilet seat and then an OFF command when they stand up? Or perhaps just have the ON command with a one-minute countdown timer? Google searches for a "toilet seat pressure switch" have turned up nothing and I am not aware of any appliance modules that have a built-in countdown timer.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Triggering with a toilet seat?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »

Google searches for a "toilet seat pressure switch" have turned up nothing

I googled DIY pressure switch <Link.... that was just one hit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:03:01 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

madmartian

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 04:58:37 PM »

Fabric won't work for this application as it could get wet and, um, icky.

I just had another thought, though. If I could put some form of rubber thing underneath one of the toilet seat standoffs, something that would guarantee me a difference in clearance when weight is applied vs not, I could then design a mechanical switch to work within that clearance difference and not need a pressure switch at all. Then the question is what can I put under a toilet seat standoff that would give me that difference? A small rubber ball would raise the seat too much.

Another thought - a switch behind the lid. It would require someone to lean back, but that might work and I could use a basic momentary contact switch for it.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 05:17:44 PM »

Fabric won't work for this application.....

madmartian I didn't mean to suggest that you use fabric. That was the #1 google hit for DIY Pressure switch. The pressure switch concept is rather simple.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 10:53:03 PM »

I just had another thought, though. If I could put some form of rubber thing underneath one of the toilet seat standoffs, something that would guarantee me a difference in clearance when weight is applied vs not, I could then design a mechanical switch to work within that clearance difference and not need a pressure switch at all. Then the question is what can I put under a toilet seat standoff that would give me that difference? A small rubber ball would raise the seat too much.

Another thought - a switch behind the lid. It would require someone to lean back, but that might work and I could use a basic momentary contact switch for it.

I think you want to use a Force Sensing Resistor.  This is the same technology used in button mouses (mice?) on laptop computers.  I've used them in the past in other applications.  They work very well.

Here's the link:

http://www.interlinkelectronics.com/force_sensors/technologies/fsr.html

Call them.  They should be able to send you a sample.  If not, then buy one.  They're not expensive.

amx

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 03:55:17 PM »

You might consider trying to find a short length of the yellow panic strip that is used in subway cars and buses and on the walls of bullpens in police stations or you might be able to salvage a membrane switch out of some old electronics.  Another idea could be a tilt switch that used to be available in the automotive aftermarket for controlling a light under the engine hood or a proximity switch that operates when something comes close to it.

Happy hunting

amx

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »

What ever you use,  can get wet and icky if this is a working toilet.

If this is a temporary installation your idea of lifting the toilet seat is a great idea. You can get compression springs for Lowes, Home Depot, etc that would raise the seat off the stops until someone sat down. Then use a micro switch attached on the outside of the bowl to activate when the seat pushed all the way down.  But all that is going to be hard to conceal.

You might also try to conceal, position, and restrict the sensor window of an X10 motion detector so that it only trigger as a warm rear end passed in front of it. The OFF signal would be the probelm in that scenario, however.

You really get in to halloween, don't you? Don't invite me to a party at your house.  ;)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.