Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Same house AND unit codes per module  (Read 4620 times)

LittleLarry

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Same house AND unit codes per module
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »

I thought it was ok to have 3 lamp modules all on the same house AND unit code, but this website suggests otherwise.

Is this correct, that you can't have for instance, 3 lamp modules (LM465's) all on the same house and unit code, and that they need to be different like the following document?

http://www.aboutdebian.com/x10.htm

"Remember that multiple modules can have the same House code, and multiple modules can have the same Unit code, but no two modules should have the same House and Unit codes. The combination of the two codes make up the address and each module needs a unique address. Typical X10 module addresses are A2, B15, C4, etc. I would recommend not using consecutive addresses. Space them apart such as A2, A4, A6, etc. "

If the above is true, it would explain a few things I guess. Just wondering if it is correct or not as it would mean you couldn't easily have the remote turn on 3 lamps with 1 button press (for instance if you only had a receiver with no AHP and 3 lamp modules). You would have to press 3 buttons, one for each lamp.

And also, what is the reason for spacing them apart and not having them consecutive as the document suggests?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:52:49 AM by LittleLarry »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Same house AND unit codes per module
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:02:39 AM »

If you want three lamp modules to ALWAYS work in unison, then use the same house and unit codes.  We do exactly that with almost a dozen modules for Christmas decorations.

The reason for skipping codes is that some X10 devices, such as the motion detectors, transmit on two sequential codes.  As long as you understand what is being transmitted, there is no reason to skip alternate codes.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

LittleLarry

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:07:50 AM »

If you want three lamp modules to ALWAYS work in unison, then use the same house and unit codes.  We do exactly that with almost a dozen modules for Christmas decorations.

The reason for skipping codes is that some X10 devices, such as the motion detectors, transmit on two sequential codes.  As long as you understand what is being transmitted, there is no reason to skip alternate codes.

Jeff

That is what I want to accomplish, having the 3 lamps in unison (1 button to control all 3 at the same time for nice accent lighting - no reason to have them seperate as I always want all 3 to come on at the same time).

Good to know about the sensors, but also a little confusing. How does one know if the sensor they have is transmitting on 2 sequential codes or not? The sensors I have are the EagleEye MS14A units.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:14:06 AM »

You can pretty much assume that all X10 motion sensors use at least two addresses.

Assuming you set the motion sensor to "A1", It will send on address "A1" when it detects motion and it will send on address "A2" when the built-in light sensor switches between dusk and dawn light levels.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 06:36:29 AM »

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:09:18 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 12:31:38 PM »

I thought it was ok to have 3 lamp modules all on the same house AND unit code, but this website suggests otherwise.

[size=06pt]http://www.aboutdebian.com/x10.htm

"Remember that multiple modules can have the same House code, and multiple modules can have the same Unit code, but no two modules should have the same House and Unit codes. The combination of the two codes make up the address and each module needs a unique address. Typical X10 module addresses are A2, B15, C4, etc. I would recommend not using consecutive addresses. Space them apart such as A2, A4, A6, etc. "[/size]

Guess that Web Site link reinforces the "DON"T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ" saying. I believe your initial thoughts were right (and I have a Web Site too). I have often set two separate modules on the same code to achieve certain (similar) results.

Another trick I (and MANY others) use with the EagleEye motion detector is to disable the day/night detector. I just remove the four screws on the back of the unit, find the little photo cell like light detector, and cover it with a little hunk of electrical tape.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.