Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ninja Pan & Tilt with non x10 camerea and non x10 power supply  (Read 23151 times)

rlcoffin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Ninja Pan & Tilt with non x10 camerea and non x10 power supply
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »

I plan on using a Ninja pan and tilt with a non x10 12volt power supply and a allways on usb camerae.  The x10 power supply is not strongh engough to power camerae because it has IR leds for nite vision.  The x10 power supply would also power down unexpectedly due to off signal from other unit on system.  I would like to use the remote to control the pan and tilt and sweep functions but again I do not plan on using the x10 power supply. I want to keep the wire to cam and pan&tilt to a min. I realize that the power leads from the addressable powersupply to the pan & tilt has 3 wires (common, P&T, Cam) or so I believed. I connected pan and tilt directly to allways on non x10 12volt power supply. Camerea moves to center when powered up but remote does not function?  So I tried again and connected allways on 12v powersupply to both camerae and pan&tilt leads and the same happened, camerae moves to center and stops, remote does nothing. please save me the headache of dismantling pan&tilt to reverse engineer it. What is the wiring diagram, how should I power the pan & tilt full time and still use the remote? Please I do not want to use x10 addressable powersupply, is the receiver in the power supply? thanks for your help. ???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Ninja Pan & Tilt with non x10 camerea and non x10 power supply
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »

As long as you don't need to control more than one Ninja. The addressable power supply isn't needed. Reference here by measuring. Tip is +12 V constant; Ring is +12 V Switched and the barrel is common negative. Poorly regulated as no load the voltages are closer to +25 V.

The power supplies are controlled by X10 Power Line Signals.

While the Ninja base is controlled by the RF signals from the remote.

So you must have a close enough range for the remote to directly control the Ninja. As long as you power is wried correctly and the RF range to the mount from the remote is good. It should pan and tilt when commanded.

I will poke around and if I find something different will post corrections.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Ninja_Pan/Tilt_Base
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:30:56 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »

Just did a test with a Ninja Base and an external +12 Volt power supply. 1/8" Stereo Plug. +12 Volts to Tip and Ring. Common to barrel.
Powered it up. It centered then the remote was able to pan and tilt it no problem. Moved it off center powered off again it centered then I was able to pan and tilt.
This was in the same room as the remote was in but I have a feeling the addressable power supply is not used to receive the RF from the Remote.

vantech

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »

does anybody know? Is the ninja controlled by RF?

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:43:51 PM »

The ninja base has an addressable power supply that is controlled through PLCs for on and off.
The pan and tilt are directly controlled through RF.

vantech

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:59:19 PM »

oh ok, i have qsee cameras and dvr setup with 8 cameras, 6 outside and 2 inside. 2 inside ones are on ninja mounts and are controlled by a dedicated laptop with AHP on it. I was hoping that i would be able to hook my 2 ninjas to my dvr which has the capabilities to control PZT cameras. And then i would put my other 6 cameras that are outside on ninja bases also....oh well cant win them all

J.B.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:49:33 AM »

Similar to my setup.
I have several Vanguard and Sentinel cameras and some other manufactures IR cams mounted on ninja bases.
I run these to an 8 and 4 channel DVR which I run one of the outputs of to AHP through my VA12A.
This gives me the ability to view all 12 video feeds simultaneously in AHP and with iWatchMobile Pro.
My DVR will also control Pelco protocol PTZ cameras, but as my PTZ cameras are x10, I still need to use their RF remotes.
I've had to do a bit of tweaking to get all of the P/T bases to respond in the areas I've got them.
Overall, it works quite well.

vantech

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »

So you cant control the pzt from your phone through iwatch mobile? Only from your rf remote at home?

J.B.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »

Where my PTZ cameras are x10 branded cameras and ninjas, I can control them through iWatchMobile Pro.
The CM15A transmits the RF in this case to control them.
I cannot control the PTZ of the x10 cameras through my DVR as it is Pelco protocol and the x10 cameras are not.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.