Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ghost signals  (Read 4364 times)

tomh

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Ghost signals
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:06:19 PM »

I'm stumped on this one and I could use some input.  A few days ago my software didn't seem to be working like it should, so I checked my Activity Monitor.  Lo and behold, I see Receive RF E1 Off.  It continuously runs without my intervention, sometimes very rapidly and sometimes slowly.  I do not have an E1 anything for this to happen.  I have two CM15 interfaces.  I removed the batteries from both for at least 30" and unplugged from the AC circuit, then plugged the computer back in.  I have removed the software twice and reinstalled.  Still, no luck.  The commands chronogically increase without stopping, sometimes as many as two signals per second.  If I unplug everything (from the wall and remove the batteries), it stops.  If I plug the computer back in and install the batteries only, it continues.  I have looked for anything that might create line noise, but haven't isloated anything.  I have filters galore for signal suckers.  The X10 Techs will send this to a Level 2 Tech, but I don't know when I will receive an answer.  What are the chances that both interfaces have failed?  They both have a 05D18 sticker and I bought them back in Jan. '06.  This really messes up my Halloween since I had such big plans with my Macros.

Thanks,

tomh

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Ghost signals
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 06:17:19 PM »

Do you have an old motion sensor you forgot to put new batteries in? They should reset to A1 but I've had them go to other addresses and send out signals ::) !
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »

tomh
You did not specify: do BOTH CM1As do this? Do they do it at the same time? You need to find out if the  E1 OFF command is really being sent? and if it is the Cm15A sending it.
If you don't have a signal level meter such as an ELK-1, then set an appliance module to E1, take the appliance module and when all is quiet, turn the  module ON and uplug it. Fire up the CM15A and plug the E1 appliance module in to see if it clicks OFF. Then do it again with out CM15A and check for same results.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »

If it is indeed a CM15A that has failed (sending the signal) you should see a Transmit RF in the activity monitor and not just the Receive RF! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tomh

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 01:23:56 AM »

Yes, both my CM15 interfaces do this.  I do not have any motion sensors set up at this time.  My first thought was that the batteries had gone bad in my two motion sensors I was using.  ONe was A1 and the other A6.  I just remembered something also.  I noticed yesterday that my power company had installed a new meter between my two service panels.  I noticed it when a blinking yellow LED blinks.  It has a 2 second period between blinks.  This almost matches the speed of the E1 signals on the Activity Monitor.  It appears to be one of the newer units which the company can read from the central office rather than sending a meter reader out.  I don't know when they put this in.  I am going to call their office tomorrow to see if there is any possibility it could be sending excessive noise creating ghost signals.  I will also try the Appliance Module trick.

Thanks for the tips,

tomh :'(

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »

I know this is going to sound dumb, but do you have ANY unaccounted-for transmitters, like those "free" slimline 4-button switches?  Or any other X10 remotes - maybe an x10 TV remote?

I was getting the same kind of problem and I found my wife had neatly tucked a slimline 4-button switch into a box near my throne - but in such a way that one of the buttons was pressed.  It would have kept driving me nuts until the battery died - had I not found it.

...just a thought...
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

tomh

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »

PajamaGuy,

You won't believe this, but that is exactly what I did about an hour ago.  Upstairs deep in one of my closets I went through my collection of modules, etc.  I knew that my two Eagle Eye sensors had no batteries (the ones I currently use), but a little voice told me to check my pile of goodies.  Deep in the pile of stuff I found multiple Eagle Eye sensors and Active Eye sensors without batteries.  My eye spotted the blue box with one of the Stick-A-Switch Remote Wall Switches (model # SS15A).  This was included as a package deal some three years ago and I had forgotten about it (like I said, it was still in the box).  Now figure this, the battery must have been failing and sending out a distress signal because once I removed the button battery from the unit (somewhrere along the line I must have played with it) all conditions went back to normal.  This tells me a couple of things....who knows why it went to RF E1 off and I'm not going to question it because I will become more insane than I already am.  I thought they were supposed to default to A1????  It also tells me the transmission power this little switch has through multiple walls and the floor in a 2 story home.  The Eagle Eyes, etc. don't have that range because I bought two CM15A's to cover upstairs and downstairs.  This was cheaper and easier than buying something to amplify the signals.  I appreciate all the tips everyone provided.  It's time for a beverage break.

Thanks,

tomh     

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:43:25 PM »

.. do you have ANY unaccounted-for transmitters, like those "free" slimline 4-button switches? 

......Upstairs deep in one of my closets I went through my collection of modules, etc. ......... My eye spotted the blue box with one of the Stick-A-Switch Remote Wall Switches (model # SS15A).

Did PajamaGuy call that or what! A big Thanks for the help from me PajamaGuy.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:45 AM »

The almost dead battery may not have been dead enough to cause an A1 but just a confused sensor.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
OT: Vista VA11A
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 07:12:27 AM »

Wahooooo!   Glad I could help! 

While on the phone with X10's Nancy yesterday (lens fell out of FloodCam - RMAing it) - I asked about the VA12A and when would they have some?  He answer was the VA11A's that they have now are Vista-ready.  And you can either buy one on sale for $49 (reg. $59), or send your's back plus $10 to get a newer VA11A that is Vista compatible.

I should have asked how one can tell if their VA11A is Vista-ready or not?

... and as I got off the phone, my wife pounced from around the corner and demanded to know what new "toy" or "ugly thing with wires" I'd just ordered.  Took a while, and a foot rub, to convince her that I was just replacing the FloodCam.  (WAF is currently low, and Mr. UPS & Mr FedEx are on a first-name basis with us)

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: OT: Vista VA11A
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »

... and as I got off the phone, my wife pounced from around the corner and demanded to know what new "toy" or "ugly thing with wires" I'd just ordered. 

h-m-m-m  Is your wife from Maryland by chance? It sounds like my wife is related.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.