Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: V572RF32 - WGLDesigns - Whole House Transceiver  (Read 18189 times)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
V572RF32 - WGLDesigns - Whole House Transceiver
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:31 AM »

This post is just to say that WGLDesignes has been a pleasure to work with.  Their V572 Whole House Transceiver receives RF, converts it to X10 PLCs, then via a PSC05 (X10 powerline interface) or an XTB-IIR, transmits the PLCs on the powerline.  The detached antenna is a real RF antenna (what the CM15A should have), and when mounted inside my 1st floor closet all my devices reach it - some over 100'.

The V572 can also receive the RF from up to thirty-two X10 security sensors (like DS10As, MS10As, etc) and convert their signal to user-defined HC/UC PLCs.  That means you can tell the V572 that when it receives a TRIGGERED RF signal from that DS10A on the door to the moonshine out in the barn - to convert it to HC-"J" and UC-"4", and put J4-ON onto the powerline for your J4-ON macro.

For those of us who have security sensors that are out of the range, or on the fringe of a CM15A, the V572 may be an alternative to RF repeaters.  In my setup, I use an XTB-IIR and I have the output of the V572 going into the XTB, rather than a PSC05.  I have the CM15A (with soldered-on 18" antenna) set to TRANSCEIVE-NONE, and with the brains in the XTB, even though I have 2-SR731's  (X10 RF Smart Repeaters), I see almost no repeated RF signals show up in the AHP Activity monitor.

WGLDesigns:

I was getting some PLC storms - that's when something keeps transmitting a signal like "A1-ON" repeatedly like a machine gun - which clogs the powerline and prevents everything else from getting through.  The only way to stop them was to power-off the V572 - so I wrote a macro to trigger on the A1-ON signal and send a timed-temporary OFF to the AM466 that controlled the power for the V572.  (then I changed it to RF to a RR501 so the storm wouldn't affect the PLC)

The guys at WGLDesigns worked with me to help identify the source of the storm - to date I believe it was RF interference. 

In the process of repositioning the V572 and its antenna, I somehow used a different RJ11 cable to connect the V572 to the XTB (or the PSC05) - and the V572 stopped working - the green LED would only pulse steadily - indicating no connection to the powerline interface.  Turns out it was my bad, the system needs a 4-wire RJ11 cable and most of my "spare" telephone cables only use 2 wires.  In the process of making that determination, WGLDesigns exchanged my V572. 

Although it's only been a couple of days, I've had no PLC storms, and the range of the V572 is well beyond anything I need.

Even though Puck's (no last name  rofl) V572 does transceive Security Remote(s) RF to PLCs, mine & the current US models do not, and are not intended to.  I hope that changes.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: V572RF32 - WGLDesigns - Whole House Transceiver
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »

Even though Puck's (no last name  rofl) V572 does transceive Security Remote(s) RF to PLCs, mine & the current US models do not, and are not intended to.  I hope that changes.

There are two different models.  Your V572A transceives only standard X10 signals.  The V572RF32 transceives both standard and security X10 signals.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Jim Clark

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:30:06 PM »

Quote from:
The V572RF32 transceivers both standard and security X10 signals.

I was under the impression that the V572RF32 took the received security codes and transformed them into user selectable X10 standard codes and then retransmitted them. I did not think it retransmitted the security codes.

Please correct me if I am incorrect. ???

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 02:11:41 PM »

Hopefully I can clear up a couple things here...

Jim: you are correct in that the transceived security signal first gets converted to a standard X10 signal. I believe Charles was just comparing the difference between the 2 varieties of the V572A without going into details of the how with regards to security X10 signals.

As for PajamaGuy, he does have the V572RF32 which converts security X10 signals; however, his does not recognize security remote signals as mine does.

PajamaGuy: A couple things you might want to try to see how much of a difference there is between your V572RF32's firmware and mine.

1) When you are registering a security device, trigger a standard X10 RF signal and see if it mistakenly gets registered as a security device. When I have to go around the house to register my DS10As, I have to first cover my MS16A ActiveEyes so they don't register a false signal before I get to the intended DS10A.

2) When I registered my security remotes, I used the lights OFF button (not the Arm or Disarm). After I registered my remotes, the Arm & Lights ON convert to the same standard X10 signal and the DisArm & Lights OFF convert to the same standard X10 signal (one set as ON and the other as OFF).

Jim Clark

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 02:49:48 PM »

Puck,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was thinking about getting the V572RF32 as I am just getting started with the X10 security devices and the range of my CM15 is poor to say the least. I was looking into the V572RF32 as a way to get around this . I currently have the V572 (not RF32) and it works great.   >!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:15:21 PM by Jim Clark »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:56:32 PM »

Puck,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was thinking about getting the V572RF32 as I am just getting started with the X10 security devices and the range of my CM15 is poor to say the least. I was looking into the V572RF32 as a way to get around this around this. I currently have the V572 (not RF32) and it works great.   >!

Sorry if my response led to confusion.

If you download and install the V572RF32 (Windows) software from WGL you can see the available options for mapping the X10 RF security codes to X10 power line codes.  (It won't work of course until you acquire the hardware.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

PajamaGuy

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 06:51:44 AM »

2) When I registered my security remotes, I used the lights OFF button (not the Arm or Disarm). After I registered my remotes, the Arm & Lights ON convert to the same standard X10 signal and the DisArm & Lights OFF convert to the same standard X10 signal (one set as ON and the other as OFF).

Thanks Puck!  I think we're on the same page - When I tried before, my remotes would register, the V572 just didn't transmit any PLCs, but I was using DISARM to register - I'll try Lights-OFF tonight.  (when I regester anything to anything, all motion sensors are first either covered, or turned to the wall)

(still no storms!!!)
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

PajamaGuy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:31:13 AM »

Shazzzzzaaaammmmmmm!

(Puck really deserves a last name!  :)%)

By installing my Security Remotes in the manner described, my V572 is converting the ARM & Disarm RF to my user-defined PLC and transceiving the signal onto the powerline!

Now when I press ARM on my KR10A, the powerline sees a "G1-ON" and when I press DisArm, it's a "G1-OFF" -

Thank-yew verrrry much!
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 09:16:50 AM »

Sweet!

I'm glad to hear that method worked for you. Guess I just lucked out by using the light buttons 1st when registering. I'll have to find some place to sticky that tidbit for others who use the V572RF32.

>!

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »

:)% :)+ :)%

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.