Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extended Code Help  (Read 5316 times)

mgw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Extended Code Help
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:43:31 AM »

I am having trouble with a Smart Macro dimming lights after a certain time at night. Some nights it works some nights it doesn't. I've read that many people have overcome this problem by using extended codes. I have no idea what to enter in the command and data boxes to get the lights to dim. Can anyone give me some help? The house and unit codes for the lights I'm trying to dim are, A14 and D4.

Boiler

Re: Extended Code Help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »

mgw,

Welcome to the forum.

Whether or not you can use the "extended code" communication depends on what version dimmer you are using.  In general (not 100%) dimmers manufactured since mid '07 have this capability.  A dead giveaway is the "Soft start" feature (slow ramp to "ON") included in these units.

The easiest way to use the extended code communication is to re-identify your dimmers as LM14a 2-way lamp modules within ActiveHomePro.  We have a thread on the use of this interface over here: Soft Start Dimmer Problems.

The fact that your macro sometimes works implies that you may have signal strength or noise issues that are making the communication intermittent.  The extended code commands may help since they involve only one command (not a string of bright or dim commands).  However they may not completely cure your problem.

Give things a try and get back with us,
Boiler

mgw

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:43:55 PM »

Thanks Boiler,

My light switches are WS467's purchased in 2005. I re-identified them as LM14a's and it is working with the A14 which is on the first floor, sort of. It will turn on, dim, turn off, turn on and dim. All I have in the macro is dim -50%.

The D4 is on the second floor. It will turn on and off but it's still not dimming. The activity monitor shows the dim signal is being sent but it must not be reaching the second floor. Plus, other house codes that I don't use are turning on and off according to the activity monitor. I'm going to guess that I have noise somewhere blocking the signal. What tools do I need to see if I have noise, and what equipment do I need to clean the line if that is the problem?

MGW

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:42:29 PM »

My light switches are WS467's purchased in 2005. I re-identified them as LM14a's and it is working with the A14 which is on the first floor, sort of. It will turn on, dim, turn off, turn on and dim. All I have in the macro is dim -50%.

The D4 is on the second floor. It will turn on and off but it's still not dimming. The activity monitor shows the dim signal is being sent but it must not be reaching the second floor. Plus, other house codes that I don't use are turning on and off according to the activity monitor. I'm going to guess that I have noise somewhere blocking the signal. What tools do I need to see if I have noise, and what equipment do I need to clean the line if that is the problem?

MGW,

Being from 2005, your WS467's are probably not compatible with the LM14a interface.  These are two years prior to the first appearance of "Soft Start" units.

We have a firmware/date code listing located here: Firmware Revisions

The earliest recorded unit with "soft start" is date coded 07A05 (April of '07). 

You have also pointed out a "hole" in my post on the "soft start units".  The LM14a interface will only use the extended codes for "absolute" dim commands.  If you use "relative Dim by xx%" commands, the standard bright/dim interface will be used.  From your post, this sounds like what your macro is using and it's the reason that your '05 unit is responding.

It's beginning to appear that you'll need to use the old WS467 interface and troubleshoot this as a noise problem.  Since your units are from '05, I'm assuming that things were working well for an extended period of time.  In terms of tools that you'll need, the old "tried and true" method of turning off breakers to isolate problem device(s) has served people well for many years (it just requires a lot of patience).  A good place to start would be inspecting your breaker panel to determine whether your problem units are on the opposite electrical phase from the units that are responding.

Tuiceman has put together a "Link page" to various noise/signal sucker/mapping pages on the forum.  Have a read and get back with us.

Boiler

mgw

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »

I don't know why but both lights are now working with the dim command. The only change I made was some flags. I have it check the time and if the flag is clear, then turn on, then dim -50%. If the flag is set it will only send an on command. When the light turns off, it clears the flag. Would this have cleared up the problem I was having?

mgw

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.