Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is Ethernet over Power Line compatible with X10?  (Read 16804 times)

Rocket J Squirrel

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Is Ethernet over Power Line compatible with X10?
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:39:13 PM »

I'm interested in trying Ethernet over Power Line to extend my home network to a room which my WiFi cannot reach.

But I have a house full of X10 transmitters and receivers, and I'm concerned that Ethernet over Power Line will prevent my X10 signals from getting around the house.

Have any of you tried this? How did it work for you?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Is Ethernet over Power Line compatible with X10?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 02:26:49 AM »

I'm interested in trying Ethernet over Power Line to extend my home network to a room which my WiFi cannot reach....... Have any of you tried this? How did it work for you?

I tried an intercom once that messed with my X10. I would look at a WiFi Range Expander. It would likely be cheaper... and more flexable.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

stevem

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »

I have not tried this and it certainly can work.
Here's the HomePlug frequency and modulation information: http://www.homeplug.org/products/whitepapers/HP_1.0_TechnicalWhitePaper_FINAL.pdf
It's well out of the X-10 range.

However it will be an potential source of interference so perhaps you might be able to borrow a few Ethernet over PLC adaptors and try them out first?

Steve

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »

I have not tried this and it certainly can work..... It's well out of the X-10 range.
However it will be an potential source of interference

I agree completely steven r!

I think.... the problem with that reasoning is: Since the freq is different... X10 won't hear it. Sorta like with my FM radio... if I have it set for 92.9 I don't need to worry about it picking up 99.9. But I don't think all of X10 devices tune that well. I think the problem I had with the intercom I tried... was the signal was just so strong that it overwhelmed my X10 switches.

I work to keep all other (non-X10) signals OFF my powerlines.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:27:06 AM »

I did a quick search.  Check out http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1645

Homeplug appears to be compatible with X10.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:41:11 AM »

FWIW

Duke Power has BPL pilot project in Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky. It has been in Cincinatti area and areas of Kentucky for a couple years and it does not cause problems for X10. We do not have it in our section of Indiana yet, but have talked to Duke engineers and there is not problem where it is installed and operational.

BPL and Fiber will probably come to our house at the same time (hopefully before I croak) and I'll go nuts trying to decide which way to go....sigh.  :D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.