Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Window Door Sensors Poor Quality??  (Read 18937 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Window Door Sensors Poor Quality??
« on: July 09, 2008, 07:55:39 PM »

Hi guys! well just received 4 window door sensors I've been having trouble with them as of late so I thought I would test these immediately. Well I hooked up all 4 to a spare console and within an hour one has already given a false alarm!! I just sent two back for the same problem if you've noticed lately X10 is practically giving these things away and now I think I know why they have decreased the quality, these used to be the most reliable component x10 made for the Protector Plus alarm system I mean they were bullet proof now they appear to be just as buggy as the rest of the stuff they make. I 'll be testing a total of 6 so I'll report back to to let you know if they pan out. I'm really disappointed though. So if you order these it would be a good idea to test them before you install them in your main system if you want to avoid false alarms that is if you have a spare console. Good Luck! and x10 please improve your quality some people really depend on this equipment. But knowing x10 well....... :'

Tom j.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:26:01 PM by tom j »

tom j

Re: Window Door Sensors Poor Quality
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:09:55 PM »

Hmmm...  Well I might of had the one that gave a false alarm hooked up wrong so I'm going to retest. All the others appear to be working fine. Well if I make a mistake I'm willing to admit it so check back and I'll tell you if they all work out. The two that I returned were definitely defective but maybe they were from a bad batch we'll see.

Tom j.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:14:23 PM by tom j »

tom j

Re: Window Door Sensors Poor Quality
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »

Well I might have to eat my words on this one and I'm happy to do it because it makes me feel much more confident in the system. Well I got six hooked up soon to be seven new window/door sensors with no failures yet after 24 hours, I'll leave these hooked up for at least a month after the problems I had with that last batch seems like they didn't fail for about a week. Hopefully these will be fine and I'll change the post to Quality? check back in a month for a final update.

Tom j.

zach1234

Re: Window Door Sensors Poor Quality??
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »

My first impression of them was wow, i guess they are really priced right (at $2.95). Some of my doors on them wont shut (battery door)

Edited to fix grammar errors.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:21:06 AM by Paradise Automation X10 Installer »

tom j

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:50:44 PM »

My first impresion of them was wow, i guess they are really priced right (at $2.95). Some of my dors on them wont shut (battery door)

Hm-mm just apply a little more pressure until you hear a click they should shut. And I remember when some places use to sell these for 20 bucks a piece! so if they work 3 dollars is a steal.

Tom j.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:03:54 PM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:26:55 PM »

Well it's been over 10 days straight and no failures yet so I think I might have got some good ones this time! The one I initially got a false alarm from was setup improperly I actually didn't have the contacts aligned properly, since correcting this it's been functioning fine. I pride myself on my reviews because I know a lot of people might read them and take the reports seriously so if I make a mistake I always step up to the plate and admit it. I know some people think people like myself are x10 bashers not so I've spent a spent a lot of money like many of you on x10 products but if there's a problem I think everyone should know about it so we can get it corrected. I remember a few years back when the MS10a's in the two step mode were so bad that I actually had a few people over with the alarm turned on and they only tripped after maybe an hour of activity, after which I posted this information here on the x10 forums and had to send them back I forget how many times and now these detectors are considerably better. So by bringing this information to the attention of the folks that follow these forums I believe it helps get issues like these resolved. I still feel there are problems with the MS10a's in the one step mode concerning false alarms so maybe eventually if we all complain enough x10 will address this issue as well. 

>!

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 02:40:04 AM »

I'm still going to let these go for a full month so check back and I'll let you know how it all paned out. So far everything is 100%!

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:30:52 PM »

Just had an old window/door sensor fail but this one had to be about 10 years old!!! this one was made under the old Magnavox name and I think I paid 20 bucks for it so no complaints here especially considering it was made in China, if the x10 versions last that long at 3 bucks a pop well I guess that would be a great deal. Only thing I hate is that when they fail they give false alarms, just imagine being at work or the show when that happens and you have to rush home. Anyone one know what the normal life expectancy is on these unit's?

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »

Well all is still good no false alarms will let this test go until the end of the month, the window door sensors were always in my opinion very reliable anyway so I'm just about convinced that the bad ones I got was just a fluke.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »

Quick update all the window/door sensors are all 100% no failures!
Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:09:45 AM »

Think I'll yank the plug on the 10th as of now now failures.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

Well as of today I'm ending this test all the window/door sensors have preformed flawlessly. These have proven to be extremely reliable with absolutly no false alarms. Hope this test has been a help to anyone who is contemplating or already owns a Protector Plus system, if you've found it helpful feel free to donate a point.  ;D

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.