Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15, TM13U and X10 commander  (Read 18180 times)

Rip

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15, TM13U and X10 commander
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:43:23 AM »

This is my first post here so apologies if it's not in the right place.

I have a CM15 and use it with X10 commander for iPhone to turn lights on and off etc.

In X10 Commander there's an option to send codes to the ActiveHome DLL as either Power Line or RF.

I live in a REALLY (1720) old house with really questionable wiring and my range suffers.

Could I use a TM13U set on a diferent house code and send RF commands from the CM15 via X10 Commander that the TM13U will receive and then send down the power line to my appliance/lamp modules?

Also, would the TM13U receive signals from motion detectors and send them to the CM15?

I've read the manuals for both the CM15 and TM13U and it's not cear to me if this is possible.

(Now that I've written this it may well be a hardware question so please move it if necessary)

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15, TM13U and X10 commander
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 06:41:50 AM »

The TM13U is a European model module. Is the CM15 you have also made for Europe?
If not I believe the RF frequency used for things like remotes is a different.

Melloware

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
    • Melloware
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 06:53:14 AM »

Rip,

Just let me know if there is anything I can do to help out from the X10 Commander point of view!  I know you are never shy about features requests! : :)

------------------------------------------------
Melloware
Tack Back Control of Your PC!
http://www.melloware.com
------------------------------------------------

Rip

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 06:59:52 AM »

The TM13U is a European model module. Is the CM15 you have also made for Europe?
If not I believe the RF frequency used for things like remotes is a different.

I don't have the TM13U yet, but it will be a European model to match my CM15.

So, if they operate on the same frequency, will it do what I need?

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 02:01:12 PM »

Rip,

Part of what you're trying to do will work, part will not.

In X10 Commander there's an option to send codes to the ActiveHome DLL as either Power Line or RF.

I live in a REALLY (1720) old house with really questionable wiring and my range suffers.

Could I use a TM13U set on a diferent house code and send RF commands from the CM15 via X10 Commander that the TM13U will receive and then send down the power line to my appliance/lamp modules?

Don't know much about X10 Commander...  The CM15a (Marmitek) can transmit simple On/Off/Bright/Dim commands to the TM13u via RF.  There is a "special command" in the smart macros that will use RF for communication.

A couple of downsides here -
  • Many of the Marmitek modules are X10 2-way.  They both receive and transmit commands.  If you are using the TM13u to transmit (RF) into areas that the powerline can't communicate with, your 2-way modules will be able to hear the CM15a but will not be able to talk back to it (they are powerline only)
  • RF dim commands are different than powerline.  RF dim's are sent in 10% increments.  This may not be "esthetically pleasing" for you.
  • The Marmitek modules have many advanced features that are accessed using X10 "Extended Code" commands.  The Marmitek ActiveHomePro software (powerline) has been customized to take advantage of these features.  To the best of my knowledge, the RF communication doesn't support Extended Codes.  In other words, you'll be paying for nice features that you won't be able to access.

Also, would the TM13U receive signals from motion detectors and send them to the CM15?

I believe the TM13u is the equivalent of the TM751 we use here in the States.  If that is true, this will not work.  The TM751 is a one way device - It receives RF and converts to powerline.  It can't be used as an RF booster/relay for the CM15a. 

The CM15a itself has a RF input (hopefully the range on your European units is better than here).  I would start there, and modify the CM15a antenna if required.

Hope this helps,

Boiler

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:17:29 PM by Boiler »

Rip

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:46:28 PM »

Don't know much about X10 Commander...  The CM15a (Marmitek) can transmit simple On/Off/Bright/Dim commands to the TM13u via RF.  There is a "special command" in the smart macros that will use RF for communication.

Brilliant.

Thank you for that. It's just what I needed.

What/where is the "special command"?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »

I believe the TM13U should receive RF signals from the motion sensors if they are also on the European Frequencies and pass them back to the power line. The CM15 should be able to receive power line signals and maybe able to trigger a Macro. Not sure as we know the Marmitek software was modified for their use with their CM15 model.

Boiler

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »

What/where is the "special command"?

Within the macro create function there is a drop-down list on the right side.  Select "RF commands".  I've downloaded the Marmitek software and verified that this works with both my CM15a and TM751.  You hardware is a bit different (frequency) but the function should be the same. 

This could be a "minimal" way of getting into X10 without spending too much (yes I tend to be a minimalist - much to my family's chagrin) .  As I noted above, if you can't communicate reliably over the powerline, you will be giving up quite a bit using the RF protocol with Marmitek units.

To be honest, I wouldn't go into this type of project without a path to reliable powerline communication.  In my opinion, you are paying a lot for Marmitek units with advanced features, and not using them.  You may want to investigate a repeater to improve your poweline communication.  I know that Jeff Volp has some cutomers In Europe and I have tremendous respect for his XTB-II repeater.  This would be an alternative to RF communication that would take advantage of the capabilities of the Marmitek 2-way modules.

Jeff has a web page for his repeaters here: X10 Transmit Booster

Let us know your thoughts,

Boiler
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:35:21 AM by JeffVolp »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.