Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: X10net.exe  (Read 79305 times)

skloter

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: X10net.exe
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 06:13:05 PM »

Yes, AHP no longer detects the module without x10nets.exe running.  Had disabled it in Services; just set to automatic, restarted, access AHP, changed back to disabled until I figure this out.

Antivirus: Nod32 version 3.0.669.0; signature updates daily.
Windows update to notify only.
Latest Microsoft updates on11/11/2008: KB951535, 954430, 954459, 955069, 957097.
No  auto-update programs that load at boot.
Just the Microsoft updates above.
On 11/6/08 updated Hauppauge drivers for HVR-1600.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »

Betcha it's the antivirus program that's the culprit.   Try disabling it and re-enable X10nets.exe and see if you still get the CPU overload. If you don't, get a different antivirus program
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TheBigOldDog

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »

Yes, AHP no longer detects the module without x10nets.exe running.  Had disabled it in Services; just set to automatic, restarted, access AHP, changed back to disabled until I figure this out.

Antivirus: Nod32 version 3.0.669.0; signature updates daily.
Windows update to notify only.
Latest Microsoft updates on11/11/2008: KB951535, 954430, 954459, 955069, 957097.
No  auto-update programs that load at boot.
Just the Microsoft updates above.
On 11/6/08 updated Hauppauge drivers for HVR-1600.

Just for grins, disable Nod32, reboot (without Nod loading) and see if the cures it... There's a SW conflict somewhere and selectively disabling everything that autostarts will help you find it. Also check ESET's site and see if there are any recently posted issues with an updated they snuck through the update process (as far as I know, they all "sneak" app changes through their signature updating routines).

PS - I'm assuming the problem started long after the MSFT updates correct? If it was around the same time, you might try uninstalling those updates and see if that solves it (you can always reinstall them later).

kenm

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 03:32:23 AM »

I got the same problem in the last few days.  My PC slows to a crawl and x10nets.exe is using nearly 100% cpu.  If I open 'Services' x10 service says it is starting up and I can't stop it.  If I set the service to start up Manualy then restart, it starts by itself, but never gets to 'started'.  I can disable the service and it won't start next time I reboot, but my Outlook won't receive email, but it will send email.

I remember installing x10 a while back to try to use a ATI Remote Wonder remote control, but I no longer use it.  Is x10 also part of windows?

Where can I download and install the latest x10 service?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ken

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »

X10 is not part of Windows, it's built to run under Windows. AHP is what most Windows users use to control their X10 systems.  As to X10nets.exe using 100% of the CPU, as has been noted in this thread, it's usually some other program that is the culprit.   Let us know what other programs you have load with Windows.

kenm

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »

A lot of things load at startup on my PC, what sorts of things should I look for?

I can't think of anything that has changed recently, except perhaps a Windows update.  I'll revert the updates one at a time and see if the problem changes.

I have never installed AHP, but used to use a ATI Remote Wonder that installed X10 as I recall.  I am running Vista 32.

When I went through Control Panel / Programs and Features and uninstalled X10, it did not uninstall the x10 service or drivers: x10Hid or XUIF.  Should it?

Again, the X10 service is stuck on "Starting" and never gets to "Started".

Any idea why if I stop the x10 service it would affect Outlook's ability to get my email messages?

Thanks,
Ken

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »

A lot of things load at startup on my PC, what sorts of things should I look for?

I can't think of anything that has changed recently, except perhaps a Windows update.  I'll revert the updates one at a time and see if the problem changes.

I have never installed AHP, but used to use a ATI Remote Wonder that installed X10 as I recall.  I am running Vista 32.

When I went through Control Panel / Programs and Features and uninstalled X10, it did not uninstall the x10 service or drivers: x10Hid or XUIF.  Should it?

Again, the X10 service is stuck on "Starting" and never gets to "Started".

Any idea why if I stop the x10 service it would affect Outlook's ability to get my email messages?

Thanks,
Ken

I have no idea.   X10 has no affect on Outlook or Microsoft Office.  I'm beginning to feel you should back up any programs you absolutely need and reformat your Hard Drive and reinstall Vista.  Something is very corrupt in your PC.  A Google Search for ATI Remote Wonder yield no references to X10.    What X10 devices do you currently have?

kenm

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 01:01:14 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions.

I uninstalled ATI Remote Wonder drivers and the x10 service and its drivers went with it, so my problem is solved.  I recall needing to install x10 to get my Remote Wonder to work.  If I ever want to use my Remote Wonder again, I'll see how it goes.

This does not solve the mystery of why the x10nets.exe started hogging the CPU all of a sudden a couple weeks ago.  The original poster in this thread, DWC, and another poster, skloter, also had this problem all starting within the last month.  Most curious.  Again, the only thing I can think of that changed is a Windows update.  Is everyone using Vista like me?

dmdbdd

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »

I'm having the very same problem - it started this morning (11/28/08). It took me several hours to determine what was going on. Everything locks up after X10nets.exe tries to start, even boot processes - can't run Firefox or much of anything else. Now I'm a windows programmer and I know that taking the sledge hammer approach by reformatting my HD and reinstalling is total bull.

I know that I didn't have this problem on 11/27/08, so I tried rolling back my system to 11/25/08 and this didn't fix the problem. I also tried booting with the USB cable to my CM15A disconnected.

After I stop X10nets.exe with the Task Manager, everything works normally as it should except that AHP will not run. It tries to start X10nets.exe, which in turn hogs all of my CPU resources and never starts up completely.

I set X10nets.exe to start manually in services and this solves the boot problem, however until this issue is resolved, I can't run AHP!

Since there are a least three of us who have experienced this same problem in the same time frame, there has to be something going on with X10nets.exe.

Is there a way to reinstall X10nets.exe?

wister

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 05:43:21 AM »

Same set of problems here.  X10nets.exe hogs the system resources.  Started at about the same time as everyone else.  No recent updates made to XP Home Media edition. Any more thoughts about the source of the problem and its solution?

eddiex

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »

very new on trying x10, but got esactly the same problem... on a clean PC....
suddnly after 2 days use.. it f*** up my CPU.. 100% ... 

tryed to uninstall, re-install etc etc... NO luck....

Now I cant use X10net...

I had to find another X10 software, witch working 95% cpu power less.. *SSS* 

I guess tha author of Activehome sould fix this bug...

Greetings Eddie

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »

EVERYBODY that is having trouble with  X10nets.exe, it's ALWAYS some other program that is causing it.

arf1410

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »

I'm all of a sudden having the same problem on Dec 6th...I've had activehome pro on this PC since the beginning in 2004...I do NOT leave the CM15a hooked up to the PC .

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 10:25:50 AM »

Now I'm a windows programmer and I know that taking the sledge hammer approach by reformatting my HD and reinstalling is total bull.

Thanks for stating that! It will solve nothing most of the time! ::) :'
The best thing to do in order to root out the problem is:
Run MSCONFIG
Stop all none Windows services and programs that start on boot up except X10nets.
Reboot and see if the same issue occurs! That will tell you if it is a windows service that is interfering or another program!
If it works slowly enable start up and services one at a time with MSCONFIG until you find the offender!
If your worried about viruses, unplug your internet connection while your doing this!
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dwc

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »

I have cured the problem.  All the doomsday soothsayers touting computer problems were all wet.  Testing of processor and memory revealed no problems.  Backed up what was important, Formated hard drive.  Re installed Windows XP with service pack 3 and all is well.
The first program I reinstalled was AHP and I checked the services each time I reinstalled a program. The system is running fine now.  I think that the problem was with a Windows update which might have had a conflict with other previously installed updated.  BTW My MS Outlook had stopped working also, my contact list took a trip to the far reaches of Cyberspace and still has not returned.

After all the diagnostic analysis the cause is still unknown.  I will keep a close eye out for any changes to my system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.