Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: X10net.exe  (Read 79302 times)

arf1410

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: X10net.exe
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »

anyone tried uninstalling and re-installing AHP to fix this problem?  Seems a bit simpler than reinstalling Windows...

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »

Read what dwc posted.  That's exactly what he did.  That may work for him and you, others may have to do what Tuicemen suggested or use the "atomic bomb" of computer problems and reformat the hard drive.   Microsoft was been putting out some buggy updates for XP lately. The last one makes screen savers go wonky and refuse to end when you move the mouse.   The prior one made Outlook make false messages tha it can't find the mail server.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

arf1410

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »

UNless I am confused, DWC says he wiped his hard drive clean, re-installed windows, and then re-installed AHP.  I want to know if anyone has just deleted and re-installed AHP

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

Sorry.

He had no idea what what was causing the problem with x10nets.exe hogging the CPU, so reformat, reload XP and AHP was the only solution.  Now that AHP is working and x10nets.exe  behaving, He should re-install his other programs one at a time until he finds the problem.  If it's Microsoft's patches, he should disable Automatic Updates and be very selective which patches he wants only.  The last two, BTW are very buggy.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

wister

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 08:23:59 AM »

I did the un-install/re-install bit with AHP and had no success.  I have been in touch with X10, and they are looking at a variety of things.  The last communication that I had with them was about three days ago.  Hopefully they will have some words of wisdom very soon.

In the mean time, I am making contingency plans for having to use something other than AHP--and, for that matter, X10.  Has anyone here had any experience with Insteon?  Supposedly, the Insteon controllers can operate X10 devices.  I'm thinking of the option of moving to Insteon and using my existing X10 devices.  Then, as I need to upgrade/replace the X10 devices, I would switch to the Insteon equivalents.  Thoughts?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 03:54:56 PM »

wister you will find all protocols have a issue of some sort! it is a matter of if you can find a work around that suits your setup!
check out some of the other forums!
Try Smarthome  but probably the best for true unbiased Insteon info would be Access HomeAutomation ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Shadey

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »

Any updates on the problem  :' or are we just  >*<

arf1410

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »

I'm unhappy...I've had AHP since about day 1 in 2004...I don't make many changes these days, but my CM15A starts acting real funny every couple months, so I clear the memory and reload...but I can't due to this annoying x10nets problem!  As I'm not prepared to flatten and reload my hard drive, my one possible solution is to load AHP on a different computer...So, how do I got the software and whatever activation codes?  and, that PC is far from teh outlet that seems to work well, so if I unplug and move the AHP, will it really retain memory, and for that matter, does it need to be plugged into an outlet when downloading from a PC?

Shadey

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 09:21:07 AM »

So the solution is to reload windows and cancel updates ???

jimbike

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
X10net.exe process hanging solved!
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2008, 08:40:44 AM »

I had the same issue at about the same time as the others. I did all the newest update of windows and then still had the issue, so I solved it by changing the "Log on as" part of the X10 Device Network Service (X10nets.exe) in services.

1. Press ctrl-alt-delete, find and select "x10nets.exe" in the process tab, and click the "end process" button. If you can't find it, skip this step. You can then close the "Windows task manager" window.
2. Go to start RUN
3.Type "services.msc" in the run dialog and hit enter
4. Find the x10 device network service, (should be all the way to the bottom in alphabetical order.)
5. Right click on the "x10 device network service" and click properties.
6. in the "log on tab" click the "This account" selection bullet and click browse.
7. in the select user box, click advanced.
8. Click the find now button without doing anything else in the advanced "select user" window that just opened.
9. Select Administrator in the name (RDN) column of the list and click OK  EDIT** You can use any user you want**
10. Click Ok once more in the other windows where administrator appeared in the "Enter the object name to select" box

EDIT****
Thanks Wister for this input, I added it here so that "the fix" is complete here!. There is a thing to know about the password, here is the quoted post from Wister.
Quote  " The "trick" to this had to do with the password noted in step 11 of the original "fix" posting.  I did not have passwords for any of the accounts on the system, since it was always used by trusted users.  I went back and created a password for my account and used that account and password in steps 9 through 11.  After that all way well.
I hope this helps clarify things for others who may have tried the "fix" without success."

11. Put a password and confirm it in the password and confirm password box.
12. click ok .
13. back in the servies window, right click the x10 device network service service in the list and click start. The service status should change to started quickly and the log on as column should read .\administrator.
14. Start Active home pro. it should start fine, mine did.

Try it out and tell me if it works for you, I know it worked for me!

EB :)%
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:56:34 PM by jimbike »

arf1410

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »

Appears to solve the problem!

How in the heck did you figure that one out????

wister

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »

I'll have to try "the fix" tomorrow.  I got tired of waiting for a response from X10 tech support, so i dragged out my 6 year old desktop that has been in mothballs for about two years.  It hasn't had any updates since before SP2 came out for XP.  I was successful in getting AHP loaded and working.  So, I'm at least back in business for the time being.  Maybe "the fix" will allow me to put the system back into mothballs...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2008, 07:39:30 PM »

jimbike
A very Helpful first Post #:)
I'm sure others will find this info helpful!

>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jimbike

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »

Appears to solve the problem!

How in the heck did you figure that one out????

I noticed that I could start the X10nets.exe service under my user name, but when it was started by the system it was hanging. Therefore, I told windows that this service would now be available not from the system but from a user. Should also work for any other log on user that you put in as long as this user is available when you try to start Active Home.

Also this service relies on an other Windows system service called RPC (i believe), so what I would like to know is what the heck happened for my system and active home software with 4-5+ years running flawlessly (almost) to start hanging like that. I am usually very careful with updates, something must have changed a month or so ago... But what, if anyone can figure this out, my hat goes off to him (or her).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:50:05 AM by jimbike »

wister

Re: X10net.exe process hanging solved!
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2008, 02:28:40 PM »

9. Select Administrator in the name (RDN) column of the list and click OK
10. Click Ok once more in the other windows where administrator appeared in the "Enter the object name to select" box
11. Put a password and confirm it in the password and confirm password box.
12. click ok .
13. back in the servies window, right click the x10 device network service service in the list and click start. The service status should change to started quickly and the log on as column should read .\administrator.

I tried the instructions exactly as posted.
At step 13 I got an error message indicating that X10nets could not start.  As a result, AHP did not start.
Any further suggestions/hints?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.