Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to forum - considering X10  (Read 3562 times)

berniejr72

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to forum - considering X10
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:31:25 PM »

As the title says, I'm considering (pretty certain I will use x10) for a whole house home entertainment / home automation project.  Basically I have a media server in the basement, and 3 HTPC's located throughout the house for video/audio playback, as well as ip security cameras, controlled by 3 older fujitsu touch tablet pc's.  I will also now like to include some basic (on/off/dim/bright) lighting/TV/Amp control for these 3 locations. My home is a 40 year old split/quad level home (2500 sq ft), and I will be using Xlobby as a front-end to control everything.  For X10 commands specifically, I will be using some type of command line utility to send these basic commands.  All 4 PC's that are in use will be loaded with XP Professional SP2

I've been reading the pro's/con's of using either a CM11a, CM15a or CM17a, but I'm not sure which solution will be better. I have 2 proposed options that I can setup depending on which will give me the best control/reliability

Option 1 is to install the CM unit and software for it onto the Media Server PC in the basement and I will have AM's and LM's throughout the house.

With this option using any of the CM devices, would/should I need separate transceivers (1 in basement, 1 on FR level, and one on MBR level) to get better coverage?

Option 2 is to simply install a CM on each of 3 PC's in the areas where I want to control (basement, FR, and MBR), and use them as different codes?

Does this setup lend itself to any type of interference between the units?

One of the appeals to X10 compared to other technology is the cost so I would like to use the most cost effective solution if possible.  I envision that I should be able to accomplish this for less than $100?

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

berniejr72

Re: New to forum - considering X10
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:54:34 AM »

If I'm not going to be controlling anything via remote or pal pad, and strictly via the computer, do I even need a transceiver?  The more I read, the more it seems like this is the case.  THis may make decision a little easier, as example I could use 1-3 firecrackers and the appropriate light and/or appliance modules and that's all I would need.  In this scenario would everything be contolled via "powerline" ?

Another important factor to consider I guess is the ability to upgrade.  Right now my wants are pretty basic, but if everything works fairly well, I probably will want to add some sort of security setup as well as options for HVAC control.  Im guessing this all but eliminates the Firecracker CM17A as a viable option?  Would I be better served going with the newer CM15A and AHP software (I believe it has command line controls).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:13:24 AM by berniejr72 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:49:15 AM »

The Firecracker modules does in fact send an RF signal to a Transceiver. I have never seen anyone have more than one Firecracker working on a computer. It should be able to send varied address including house codes and unit codes. So more than one may not be needed.

Hope someone will have a software suggestions for such things. I don't think X10 has one at least for the Firecracker. maybe Active Home Pro with the plug ins maybe better.

Of course the RF signal has to reach the transceiver and it has to be able to cover the home. Have you looked in our troubleshooting area to see common problems and solutions?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:05 AM »

If I'm not going to be controlling anything via remote or pal pad, and strictly via the computer, do I even need a transceiver? 

Welcome to the forum berniejr72

It's always nice to have a new member.... hope you decide to become a new user too. I've seen many new users research Home Automation.... and make their plans... before actually buying into HA. It often doesn't work out as well as you might think. Speaking (ONLY) for myself... even though I had read and planned... there was a learning curve involved after I starting buying X10.

I originally just wanted to be able to dim my Home Theater lighting... while remaining seated. That involved just a few switches and modules. Of course I soon expanded that to include Active Home.... and a camera security system. And then more.... and MORE. I now have a (pretty much) automated home... which I can also "voice command" as needed/desired using a user created software called BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) . You can get a peek at my setup via my YouTube Channel.

Before you get too much all planned out... check out the X10 package deals. Then jump in with a deal that lets you get your feet wet... without getting in over your head. Things like control/reliability/serviceability... will vary somewhat depending on your own particular home. What works well for you... could be problematic in my home... or vice-versa. And what I find very useful... may not appeal to you.

X10 is a real hoot.. your in for an addictive treat.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:11:55 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

berniejr72

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »

Brian and Dave, thanks for your input.

Brian with regards to the Fireracker, I would not want multiple CM17A's on one PC's, but instead 1 CM17A on 3 separate PC's  would this be a problem?  Alternately would having  multiple transceivers make any difference?  I'm guessing not.  I will take a look in the troubleshooting area to see what other issues people have run into, in order to have some ideas on what to look for, going in.  As far as the software, it sounds like if I use the firecracker unit, then from a software perspective, I'm limited in using anything other than the firecracker software OR  AHP with a firecracker plugin?  From a cost standpoint wouldn't it just make more since to purchase AHP with the CM15A?  Does it perform any better/worse that the Firecracker units with a Transceiver?

Dave I'm definitely looking to dive in without getting too far over my head, so I've been all over the X10 site as well as EBay trying to find the right combination of items.  Your youtube page definitely has some great info ,showing off the capabilities of the different  x10 components.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »

......... I've been all over the X10 site as well as EBay trying to find the right combination of items. 

The best deals are the X10 email-newsletter deals! Go to X10.com and sign up to receive the newsletter... and remember X10 ships FREE on orders of $49.99 or more.

Your youtube page definitely has some great info ,showing off the capabilities of the different  x10 components.

Thanks for saying that. It is really difficult to make a video that even gives a hint of what all the automation does... I do what I can.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »

Well you can't get AHP without the CM15A. The software is part of the package and not sold alone.
The CM15A can have RF range issues and that is why many do antenna mods or get a WGL V572A to do their reception.
http://www.wgldesigns.com/index.html

Depends on the Tranceiver used. I have found the latest TM751 from X10 is much better than the older ones and receives better than my RR501 and CM15A. That said it has no powerline receiver in it so an RF signal can step on another line signal if present as it can't see them. The RR501 and CM15A are polite and wait if the line has signals on it.

Also if you have not found this site yet it is a great help on troubleshooting and information.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:06:30 PM by JeffVolp »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.